Welcome to the Bulldogs, Charlie Parker

This pick seems to be based on potential rather than any outstanding form. In his 9 games for Sturt he was not listed in the best players in any of them. Averaged 13.9 disposals, 2.8 marks. His main attribute was kicking efficiency at 94%. Has 'come out of the blue' playing for Sturt this season. Wearing jumper No 53 might support this assessment.
Obviously, our recruiters have seen some characteristics they like and if his improvement is still on an upward trajectory, we may have an interesting player.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This pick seems to be based on potential rather than any outstanding form. In his 9 games for Sturt he was not listed in the best players in any of them. Averaged 13.9 disposals, 2.8 marks. His main attribute was kicking efficiency at 94%. Has 'come out of the blue' playing for Sturt this season. Wearing jumper No 53 might support this assessment.
Obviously, our recruiters have seen some characteristics they like and if his improvement is still on an upward trajectory, we may have an interesting player.
The comment our recruiter made was they want to see what he can do in a professional environment. Seems a low risk potential high reward situation.

He was focused on cricket and had spent minimal time in an elite football environment - in fact, none at all, all I can see as a reference is him just playing standard juniors and ammos footy before playing SANFL, and that would have only been in the winters he wasn't playing cricket in England. The fact that he was hanging with ex-AFL players and blokes who were graduates of the state under 18 teams and coming through the SANFL U/18s and reserves shows the untapped potential.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
At the stage of the draft he was taken with they are all throws at the dart board hoping for a bullseye. He may never make it but has shown some attributes to suggest that he might.
And if he does could be a solid role player which is as much as you can hope for realistically with the back end of the draft pick. Fingers crossed our recruiters have picked up a diamond in the rough.

I can see the logic. Given a choice do you pick a player who has come through the usual development pathways but has been passed over in favour of 70 or so other players or do you take a punt (using only a rookie pick) on a player who has come in late, is a natural sportsman (played cricket internationally) and has surprised everybody in the handful of games he's played?

The first player might be honest and dedicated but would usually have a lower ceiling. Those types abound. The other type (Parker) might well end up a flop but he has a potentially much higher ceiling because his rate of improvement has been so rapid since he returned to football. He is big bodied, tall (just under KPP height), fast, aggressive and a booming kick. I see flashes of Bont in him - the way he moves in open space with the ball. If he could emulate half of what the Bont does he's worth having. The other blokes he reminds me of a little bit are Mitch Hahn and Stuey Crameri. Like Parker, Crameri was a latecomer to AFL ranks.

He's 24 so he's ready to play, and he's 192cm and 85kg. He was unfortunately a Saints supporter but that's treatable.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is this guy really 193cm? He doesn't look it from the footage.
He seems to have a short neck also, so would be taller at the shoulders than most guys his height which will give him a bit of extra reach.

At that height with the way he moves and kicks he looks like a really exciting prospect.
If he could develop a strong defensive edge and gain a bit of strength he could be a real weapon.

It feels like ages since we took a high risk, high reward type in the rookie draft. I'm excited to watch this guy develop.

Last edited:

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here is his profile from the SANFL and SANFL Reserves...
CPARKER.png

This guy screams Isaac Smith to me. Run and carry player with a long, penetrating kick who entered the AFL system from an interesting pathway.

He was focused on cricket and had spent minimal time in an elite football environment - in fact, none at all, all I can see as a reference is him just playing standard juniors and ammos footy before playing SANFL, and that would have only been in the winters he wasn't playing cricket in England. The fact that he was hanging with ex-AFL players and blokes who were graduates of the state under 18 teams and coming through the SANFL U/18s and reserves shows the untapped potential.
Ex-cricket type chased from SA who plays in defence? As if that will ever work!

Reminds me a bit of Grant Birchall - similar running gait and long kicking style.

All signs point to Parker being the round 1 bolter.
Which signs in particular?

This one is looks promising but not sure if it leads to Round 1.
1639534001600.png

Has he been burning up the track, shirtfronted Stef Martin or trained the house down?

BarryMorgan

Premiership Player
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is this guy really 193cm? He doesn't look it from the footage.
He seems to have a short neck also, so would be taller at the shoulders than most guys his height which will give him a bit of extra reach.

At that height with the way he moves and kicks he looks like a really exciting prospect.
If he could develop a strong defensive edge and gain a bit of strength he could be a real weapon.

It feels like ages since we took a high risk, high reward type in the rookie draft. I'm excited to watch this guy develop.
This is Tom Boyd’s small hands all over again.

Well based on Charlie's neck deficiency I can already see our frees for going down this year...😄
Did somebody say neck?

1004592.png

Back