AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Horsham is part of the old Essendon recruiting zone right? Plenty of Essendon fans out that way
Yup, Tim Watson, Glenn Hawker and Merv Neagle all came from Dimboola (about 30mins away from Horsham) whilst Roger Merrett was from Kaniva, and Shane Heard was from Horsham.

Apparently Hobbs'dad and grandad are Bomber die-hards.

I was in Horsham and Dimboola on the weekend. Pretty disappointing to report there are no statues of Hobbs or Watson anywhere. Two three-time premiership players from the greatest ever football club in any code should demand statues.

Commiserations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he looked a bit off the pace in terms of being able to gather the ball under physical pressure and dispose of it cleanly.

Ball use on the outside looked good though with well waited passes.

Thought he looked a bit off the pace in terms of being able to gather the ball under physical pressure and dispose of it cleanly.

Ball use on the outside looked good though with well waited passes.
I thought a lot of his kicks put the ball a bit high - loopy looking kicks. I would have liked to see more of his inside work as well but I think he's going to be a hard-nut inside bull in time. Both Perkins and Cox were given CBAs too. Midfield unit looking more and more sustainable.

I thought a lot of his kicks put the ball a bit high - loopy looking kicks.
Scum here. Was super-keen on Hobbs at our pick before we traded it to Freo. He does seem to make connection a bit high in the ball-drop which limits his hurt factor by foot, but it's fixable, and a pretty small trade-off when you consider all his other strengths.

He's a unit, wouldn't be shocked if he's picked for Round One.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back