English Super League Super League 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Bobbie Goulding, cheap-shot exponent par excellence, is hardly the best poster-boy for this (and yes, I know, he played for Wigan).

I was wondering if you guys were seeing any SL this year. I always thought Napa was a head-banger; I wouldn't want him. Decent away win from Wigan, pleasingly showing much more potency in attack, allied to organised defence, but to be fair, we were gifted a couple of tries.

I was wondering if you guys were seeing any SL this year. I always thought Napa was a head-banger; I wouldn't want him. Decent away win from Wigan, pleasingly showing much more potency in attack, allied to organised defence, but to be fair, we were gifted a couple of tries.

Managed to watch a bit of a couple. Saints look good again. Big loss for Toulouse. Hopefully, they can stay up.

I'll most likely watch good chunks of the Friday and Saturday morning games unless something comes up. Looking forward to Wigan v Leeds.

Wigan/Leeds should be a good contest. Leeds were unlucky to lose against Warrington, having played most of the match with 12 men; they would surely have won with 13. I'll be there! :D

If you get the chance to watch Wigan/Leeds, Aucklander, it is worth seeing. We started terribly, but shone there after with some good scores and attractive attacking play. And Wigan fans haven't been able to say that for a while. I had my doubts about Jai Field; probably the same doubts people had about him in the NRL, yes, he's quick and skilful, but isn't he a bit weedy? However, thus far, he has excelled in defence and attack, expertly shepherding a fast dangerous winger towards the touch-lime, before making a well-timed tackle, and caught nearly all the high balls on a stormy windy night. And in attack, well...

Everyone in Wigan is saying, yes, there's plenty to work on, but the difference between now and the grim Adrian Lam era is night and day. Sometimes it's amazing how a change of coach can make so much difference. Now it seems the youngsters are stronger and fitter, and are making more metres, and the established players, who we always knew had quality in them, are punching holes in attack.

If you get the chance to watch Wigan/Leeds, Aucklander, it is worth seeing. We started terribly, but shone there after with some good scores and attractive attacking play. And Wigan fans haven't been able to say that for a while. I had my doubts about Jai Field; probably the same doubts people had about him in the NRL, yes, he's quick and skilful, but isn't he a bit weedy? However, thus far, he has excelled in defence and attack, expertly shepherding a fast dangerous winger towards the touch-lime, before making a well-timed tackle, and caught nearly all the high balls on a stormy windy night. And in attack, well...

Watched the first part and just watched the highlights. Field was excellent. Leeds looks to be in trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leeds had a few out, to be fair, and I think they will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. Meanwhile Channel 4's live game on Saturday noon saw Saints trample over a very disappointing Hull FC side quite comfortably.

Leeds had a few out, to be fair, and I think they will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. Meanwhile Channel 4's live game on Saturday noon saw Saints trample over a very disappointing Hull FC side quite comfortably.

I saw the Hull jumper and thought the Kiwis were playing.

I think the Kiwis would have put in a better effort than that! I know the conditions were poor (although the pitch looked pretty good; it is, I think, the only purpose-built rugby league stadium in the UK), but I thought Hull were a bit of a rabble. Leaked pens in defence, and on the rare occasions when they threatened the Saints' line, generally got in each others way. I'm glad we didn't go for Reynolds, I never rated him. I think we have a better player in Cade Cust. I have a lot of time for Brett Hodgson, but he has his work cut out there.

I am actually really pleased with the C4 coverage. It is miles better than Sky, and more to the point, it is freely available to the whole country, whereas league n Sky is mostly watched by fans in Lancashire and Yorkshire. Casual sports fans across the country have never been able to watch SL for free. I don't know why they didn't do this twenty years or more ago, but better late than never. Apparently the viewing figures for Sky are about 150k, and the first game on C4 was 700k-odd. Speaks for itself.

Another good win for Wigan tonight against a strong Huddersfield side in filthy conditions, which deteriorated in the second half. As so often, you don't realise how bad it is, sitting in the stand, until you leave the stadium and get drenched walking to the car! :D

You could have heard a pin drop in the minute's silence for Va'aiga Tuigamala pre-match; what a player he was, and much loved in Wigan. You'll be pleased to hear, Aucklander, that Old Man Tommy put in what most fans thought was a MotM performance, adding a sharpness in attack we'd thought he's lost to his usual great defence. It's really amazing what a new coaching team can bring, even to experienced internationals, as well as youngsters. Everything looks faster and sharper, and we look like we can score points when we get to the red zone. 3 out of 3, and off to France (not me, sadly) for the next two games. The Giants kept a close hold on Field in attack, but he caught every single high ball, and you can't say fairer than that.

Indeed, but it's pleasing we are playing some decent rugby even in the bad conditions; the weather should improve by March, and we have the pace to benefit from fast tracks. Especially when we can get Bevan French back in the side too. I guess you guys get the Sky televised matches; Leeds/Cats was on TV here too. Without getting carried away, it's fair to say Tommy was even better against Hudds, being involved in most of our scores. Would be brilliant if could get this guy some silverware in what must be his final year; he has been a great servant to the club and the sport.

As I said before, I don't think Leeds are a million miles away, despite their poor start. They have a few out now, but I still think they will be there or thereabouts.

As it happens,I just finished watching the full game live (I'd only heard the radio commentary and seen the scores before), and we were very fortunate to escape with the win. Toulouse had multiple chances to position themselves for a field-goal in the last few minutes, and failed to do so. But despite a weakened side, their two French halves, Albert and Gigot, were men of the match and pretty well ran the show. Shouldn't have rested Tommy! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back