Preview Round 7 v GWS at Henson Park

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hopefully nothing major for Phillips, but having a forced rest might be the best thing going by her past 2 weeks, looks a bit shot in the legs at the moment and really struggling to get around the ground and kick more than 20 metres. Part of her lesser presence this season is by design by the team as it transitions to her departure be it to Port or through retirement but just like last year she looks to of run out of a bit of steam after 5 games, I reckon if they didn’t lose Randall to injury or lose to the Dogs Erin would’ve/should’ve been rested for either or maybe both this away GWS game and away against Freo next week.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Certainly didn't look like the typical ACL motion. My guess is it's a minor injury, fingers crossed. As Firewalker says, a forced rest wouldn't be the worst thing.
3 weeks off, come back for finals.

Wouldn't be a bad thing

More so finally taking advantage of each players strength, change only looked to have happened after halftime last week after Gould was killed by Moody in the ruck contests, better late than never as called for it all season as it takes advantage of McKinnon’s marking around the ground and Gould’s marking up forward. Think they still rate Gould higher in centre bounces though so they keep trying to put her back in there but don’t really want them to revert back as they’re gaining in a lot of areas having both on ground at the same time, not always having Phillips and Hatchard ruck inside 50 for starters.

I put a lot also down to our marking ability which is by far the best in the comp by a long distance, you mark the ball that much better than your opponent you control the entire match. Some of the marking efforts today were first class.
And we used to be pretty crap in the air

Has McKinnon now eclipsed Gould as our number one ruck? She certainly won more hitouts today (14 compared to Gould's 6) and seemed to be used in more contests. Considering the ball spent most of the time in our forward half, it's not just because she was in the area - she did her best non-ruck work down back.

Edit: Also lol at Ponter with 0.6 today. Does that count as a goal?
She could be something truly incredible if she tidies things up. Her ball handling skills are sublime. Pick-ups off the ground are as good as any I’ve seen in the mens comp.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Strange comment from the match report:

1000 and counting
For a player who spent her first two seasons known almost purely as a tackling machine, Ebony Marinoff has quickly been making up for lost time. The two-time premiership Crow became the first AFLW player to reach 1000 disposals against the Giants, averaging 21 disposals and 8.5 tackles across her 48 games.

I'm not sure I'd call Marinoff "purely a tackling machine" in the first two seasons. She was 7th in the comp for disposals in her first season! 14th in the comp in her second season. She's pretty much always racked them up.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Obviously Marinoff and Hatchard will get their usual deserved plaudits, as will our defensive unit, but I have to say what a superb match from Eloise Jones. She was everywhere and nailed almost everything. There was one point late in the game where she approached a contest and didn't win it and it actually shocked me.

Also, shoutout to Biddell's long kicking out of defence. Does she ever miss a target?

Edit: Just quietly, 16 tackles for Marinoff to go with her 22 touches and a goal. 10 coaches votes coming up?
Is she any chance to move to Port with Erin?

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is she any chance to move to Port with Erin?

I mean, they're all a chance to move, right? But she's in our leadership group and is among our highest paid players, and she has spent the last six seasons building a bond with her teammates. I think it would be a hard call to leave. She's super competitive too, she'd be keen to continue having success on the field, and expansion clubs haven't done well so far.

Back in 2017 she felt more like Erin Phillips' baby sister. Now she's her own woman and I think she'll make whatever decision she sees best regardless of what Erin does.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I mean, they're all a chance to move, right? But she's in our leadership group and is among our highest paid players, and she has spent the last six seasons building a bond with her teammates. I think it would be a hard call to leave. She's super competitive too, she'd be keen to continue having success on the field, and expansion clubs haven't done well so far.

Back in 2017 she felt more like Erin Phillips' baby sister. Now she's her own woman and I think she'll make whatever decision she sees best regardless of what Erin does.
If I were Port I'd be gunning after Sarah Allen.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
If I were Port I'd be gunning after Sarah Allen.

Absolutely. If I was the Crows I'd do whatever it took to keep her.

Marinoff, Hatchard, Allan and Jones are probably the four must-keep players on our list. Other players are important but those four are at another level and all are under 25.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have Eloise Jones as more at risk. Where Port can offer something that the Crows haven't as an inside midfielder. Two Key Defenders to consider are Amber Ward WCE and Bella Smith Collingwood.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.

I agree with all that I was just wondering if anyone had heard any rumours other than Erin being almost certain to leave which I think would be fair enough. Will be an interesting off season.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree with all that I was just wondering if anyone had heard any rumours other than Erin being almost certain to leave which I think would be fair enough. Will be an interesting off season.

Supposedly Port have not made any real approaches yet and are planning to wait until after the 2022 season finishes. Whether you believe that or not is up to you but I haven't heard anything beyond that.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Voaches Cotes, uh, Coaches Votes time! Perfect ten for Eloise Jones! :)

10 Eloise Jones
7 Ebony Marinoff
7 Anne Hatchard
3 Alyce Parker
2 Danielle Ponter
1 Caitlin Gould

So that breaks down almost uniquely. The only question is who rated Marinoff ahead of Hatchard and vice versa.

5 - Jones
4 - Marinoff
3 - Hatchard
2 - Parker
1 - Gould

5 - Jones
4 - Hatchard
3 - Marinoff
2 - Ponter
1 - Parker

I'm going to assign the second lot of votes to the GWS coach because, honestly, who gives Ponter 2 votes after 0.6? Haha.

Back