Prediction Player breakout predictions for your club.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Because he's had enough chances to breakout and any improvement is just natural improvement.
You'll be still be saying he's a breakout contender when he's a 27yo by your theory.
Hey Jarrad Waite could still yet break out

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Jason Horne Francis will take the comp by surprise. One of the best 'propects' I have seen.

Sydney Stack come back into contention as a real player. Pretty much a complete player so will happen eventually.

Last edited:

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Because he's had enough chances to breakout and any improvement is just natural improvement.
You'll be still be saying he's a breakout contender when he's a 27yo by your theory.

There is still a lot of improvement left to be had with him. If he jumped up to a 30 disposal, 1 goal a game and lifted in other areas of his game, I can’t see how that is not a break out season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
There is still a lot of improvement left to be had with him. If he jumped up to a 30 disposal, 1 goal a game and lifted in other areas of his game, I can’t see how that is not a break out season.

Sure if he has a 30 disposal 1 goal a game a season he will not only have broken out he will also have a Brownlow Medal.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

Simpkin had a breakout season as he came from nowhere .

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Where’s he been playing? He’s a very talented half back who’s been used out of position due to team needs. With the way the dogs set up he could easily be excellent in that role. But can he fit in with Daniel, Dale and Williams?
Half back. He’s much better behind the ball. Needs to stay fit though.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Simpkin had a breakout season as he came from nowhere .

He didn’t come out of nowhere. His stats gradually improved each year very similar to LDU’s numbers. In 2021 his numbers improved to a point that people took notice and then he got labeled a breakout player.

Disposal averages

Simpkin - 10, 14, 18, 20, 26

LDU - 10, 14, 17, 22

Those averages are incredibly similar with LDU being a year behind. If LDU increases his disposal average up to 27-28 in 2022 it’s a breakout season. Also worth noting that Simpkin has barely missed a game through injury and LDU has had a lot to overcome.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He didn’t come out of nowhere. His stats gradually improved each year very similar to LDU’s numbers. In 2021 his numbers improved to a point that people took notice and then he got labeled a breakout player.

Disposal averages

Simpkin - 10, 14, 18, 20, 26

LDU - 10, 14, 17, 22

Those averages are incredibly similar with LDU being a year behind. If LDU increases his disposal average up to 27-28 in 2022 it’s a breakout season. Also worth noting that Simpkin has barely missed a game through injury and LDU has had a lot to overcome.
The 2020 averages are impacted by the shortening in game time.

Per minute of game time LDU didn't make much of a leap this year on last.

Simpkin took a decent step forward in both of the last 2 years, it's just 2020 North were deeply deeply unwatchable, where as even last year North were worth watching for the car crash component on the first 6 weeks or so and then decent play after that. So many so called 'break out' years come with a steady improvement that goes unnoticed the year before.

There's certainly room for LDU to make a breakout. But I agree it would take a fairly decent step forward with disposal averages rather than just steady natural improvement.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The 2020 averages are impacted by the shortening in game time.

Per minute of game time LDU didn't make much of a leap this year on last.

Simpkin took a decent step forward in both of the last 2 years, it's just 2020 North were deeply deeply unwatchable, where as even last year North were worth watching for the car crash component on the first 6 weeks or so and then decent play after that. So many so called 'break out' years come with a steady improvement that goes unnoticed the year before.

There's certainly room for LDU to make a breakout. But I agree it would take a fairly decent step forward with disposal averages rather than just steady natural improvement.
Yeah, completely agree with this - a lot of the "breakouts" are just gradual improvements that reach a tipping point where the football public in general suddenly notice.

From the same draft as LDU, I think Rayner could potentially have a "breakout", depending how he comes back from injury.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Adelaide - Schoenberg
Brisbane - Rayner
Carlton - Fisher
Collingwood - O Henry
Essendon - Andy McGrath
Freo - Young
Geel - Stengle
GC - ?Ainsworth
GWS - Ash and Green
Haw - Bramble
Melb - very tricky, ? Spargo
North - tricky; McKay, Zurhaar and Thomas did last year, young kids probably need time, Bonar if he ever stayed healthy
Port - Jones
Rich - Stack
St Kilda - Clark
Sydney - Heeney (on ball)
WC - Harry Edwards
WB - JUH

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Adelaide - Schoenberg
Brisbane - Rayner
Carlton - Fisher
Collingwood - O Henry
Essendon - Andy McGrath
Freo - Young
Geel - Stengle
GC - ?Ainsworth
GWS - Ash and Green
Haw - Bramble
Melb - very tricky, ? Spargo
North - tricky; McKay, Zurhaar and Thomas did last year, young kids probably need time, Bonar if he ever stayed healthy
Port - Jones
Rich - Stack
Sydney - Heeney (on ball)
WC - Harry Edwards
WB - JUH
:(

buggers000

Rookie
Oct 29, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kade Chandler.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Jack Henry had a breakout year last year but nobody aside from Geelong supporters seemed to notice... runner up in our B&F in a top 4 season.

Tipping this year he will receive some external recognition and make the AA squad at minimum.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jack Henry had a breakout year last year but nobody aside from Geelong supporters seemed to notice... runner up in our B&F in a top 4 season.

Tipping this year he will receive some external recognition and make the AA squad at minimum.
He was good, but he's been good since he debuted. Thought it was more of a quirk of clubs B+F's than an indication he's anywhere near the elite. Would be interesting to see him play as the primary intercept player alongside 2 genuine key defenders and with more freedom to dictate position.

Back