Training Alright, alright, alright! Its the 2022 Pre-season training thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I always presumed that a decent proportion of the "private school" kids drafted were actually public school for a decent chunk of their schooling and then offered sports/footy scholarships during their high school years when it became apparent they were a chance of being drafted. Although I have no evidence to back that up, so could be completely wrong and welcome any confirmation from anyone who knows better.
Certainly true within the Victorian APS competition. Marra and Cyril two obvious examples.

I always presumed that a decent proportion of the "private school" kids drafted were actually public school for a decent chunk of their schooling and then offered sports/footy scholarships during their high school years when it became apparent they were a chance of being drafted. Although I have no evidence to back that up, so could be completely wrong and welcome any confirmation from anyone who knows better.
There is a significant proportion of scholarships and bursaries (or however you want to define a reduction of fees from 25 to 50%). And the approach differs markedly from school to school.

Schools such as Scotch, Xavier and MGS have full scholarships for Indigenous Australians. All are meant to identify future community leaders, and football is represented strongly, however they also have some in the arts and other disciplines. I am not aware of any non Indigenous on any form of fee reduction, but there maybe cases of football ability allowing a favoured enrolment.

At the other end, Haileybury and St Kevin's have a significant proportion of their 1st XVIII on at least a 25% fee reduction (HC 2018 had 16 of the 22 on some sort of fee reduction). And while they don't offer football scholarships per se; if they didn't have those football skills they normally wouldn't qualify for the General Excellence scholarship.

Certainly true within the Victorian APS competition. Marra and Cyril two obvious examples.
And Liam Jones, Maurice Rioli Jnr, Jy Sympkin, another Rioli (Dan I think was Xavier) Nathan Djerrkura and Joel Garner at Scotch. All Indigenous Australian scholarships

Stephen May and Ben Long were MGS under a similar scholarship

Couldn't disagree more. I really couldn't give stuff that Daisy is a women. I just love her analysis. She understands the modern game well. Carey is still stuck in 90's football and his analysis is so predictable & basic.

Ranking the channel 7 special comments team:
1. Hodge
2. Bartel
3. Daisy
4. Lingy
5. Carey

6. Richo
7. Jobe
of those only Richo and Carey are able to project any personality and are the only two remotely likely to say something interesting.
Hodge comes across like someone really struggling to stay awake. Bartel is no better.
The others all trot out the most predictable cliches - Diasy's singular appeal is that we aren't tired of her yet.

Iirc, Easton Wood was on a sports scholarship at Geelong Grammar.

of those only Richo and Carey are able to project any personality and are the only two remotely likely to say something interesting.
Hodge comes across like someone really struggling to stay awake. Bartel is no better.
The others all trot out the most predictable cliches - Diasy's singular appeal is that we aren't tired of her yet.
Daisy is quite good, she picks up a lot of things that BT, for example, routinely miss. She knows her footy. But agree with your other comments.

I dont think its an issue of technology. I think its an issue of the TV broadcasters getting return on the highly paid roster of ex-players and talking heads that they employ and actually believe are draw cards. When in reality they are little more than a noisy irritant.

To do otherwise would be to give over a commercial advantage to their radio competitors. Thus undercutting the value of their own product.
Undoubtedly the case. In fact I have always understood - rightly or wrongly - that the TV delay is a deliberate mechanism imposed by the TV networks to stop people listening to the radio while they watch the tv action. Same thing happens with the cricket. Otherwise they risk losing sponsorship revenue and self-promotion opportunities.

It should not be beyond the wit of some of our techno geeks here to devise a method of using web radio and delaying the feed so that it re-syncs with the TV.

There could even be a business opportunity in it.

Surely it’s not that hard. Doesn’t Sack of Balls do this sort of syncing every time he puts an octo-call together? Real time action shouldn’t be too hard to sync because it would be a fixed delay (I reckon it’s somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds).

Daisy is quite good, she picks up a lot of things that BT, for example, routinely miss. She knows her footy. But agree with your other comments.

Daisy is good overall for her observation & strategy comments.

What I don’t like about her is her analysis when mistakes are made. She always gives the hindsight of “x should have done this”, “y should have taken this option instead” etc. it’s just so annoying to me when commentators act like they are perfect and would have nailed what they say should have happened.

Hindsight is 20/20 and mistakes are made in sports/life, some big & some small

Used to be almost exclusively the case, but private schools are often now nabbing them earlier, even before they start secondary school.

To reinforce your point though - St Pat's used to be the school of choice for budding footballers in Ballarat and the western Vic catchment, but Clarendon has gone down that path very deliberately in recent years - Seb Ross, McCluggage, the Berrys and now Ben Hobbs. Whether they were head-hunted by the school, or steered there by family/friends/associates, the school has broadened it's academic excellence to a growing focus on sport as well, so academically-minded young men like at least a few of the above end up there rather than their competitor across the road.

Historically you're correct too - for every Matthew Lloyd who attended St Bernards because he lived in the area and was a genuine local, there was a Scott Lucas, James Cook, Daniel Cross who were parachuted into the school to complete their schooling after ditching their regional or interstate schools.

(Sorry, just using examples of schools I am familiar with, there are many others doing the same thing.)

There is a significant proportion of scholarships and bursaries (or however you want to define a reduction of fees from 25 to 50%). And the approach differs markedly from school to school.

Schools such as Scotch, Xavier and MGS have full scholarships for Indigenous Australians. All are meant to identify future community leaders, and football is represented strongly, however they also have some in the arts and other disciplines. I am not aware of any non Indigenous on any form of fee reduction, but there maybe cases of football ability allowing a favoured enrolment.

At the other end, Haileybury and St Kevin's have a significant proportion of their 1st XVIII on at least a 25% fee reduction (HC 2018 had 16 of the 22 on some sort of fee reduction). And while they don't offer football scholarships per se; if they didn't have those football skills they normally wouldn't qualify for the General Excellence scholarship.
Some of the Ballarat schools offer sport scholarships - not just footy, but swimming, athletics. Once upon a time, for boys at least, that was almost the exclusive domain of St Pats. Clarendon and Ballarat Grammar have been coming hard for that market in recent years though.

Daisy is good overall for her observation & strategy comments.

What I don’t like about her is her analysis when mistakes are made. She always gives the hindsight of “x should have done this”, “y should have taken this option instead” etc. it’s just so annoying to me when commentators act like they are perfect and would have nailed what they say should have happened.

Hindsight is 20/20 and mistakes are made in sports/life, some big & some small
Not unlike the covid responses, come to think of it 🤔

Some of the Ballarat schools offer sport scholarships - not just footy, but swimming, athletics. Once upon a time, for boys at least, that was almost the exclusive domain of St Pats. Clarendon and Ballarat Grammar have been coming hard for that market in recent years though.
I didn't know that. I am aware of St Pat's football heritage (possibly the best football alumni of all schools). I had it more in the Assumption model of being attractive to the regional areas offering boarding facilities and having means-tested schooling fees rather than any scholarship. Having said that BGS and BCC are competing with their boarding facilities with the Melbourne and Geelong schools (I don't think the cost of boarding at Ballarat to Melbourne/Geelong is significantly different.

But yes, their are 'football scholarships available as Tom Scully (Haileybury), Toby Green (Wesley) and Jordan DeGoey (St Kevin's) can confirm. But Andy McGrath (Brighton), Sam Billings (Scotch) and Noah Anderson (Carey) were enrolled at birth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know a young friend of ours was offered a scholarship to Wesley, because of his football, non indigenous.

Assumption College has them all queuing up, but my son got an offer based on his football at the time, but he turned it down in the end and went to the local high school instead.

Kayosports.com.au would be it, unless some dodgy streaming website has it.
Damn, living overseas rules me out of that. Also probably means they won't upload it later on due to licences issues with Kayo. Going to have to rely on highlights packages and detailed reports here.

Anyway just hope for no injuries!

hi lads - looking forward to the hit out tomorrow, although hope its more circle work than pre season injury fest...

can anyone tell me how Richards is tracking this pre season? is he thereabouts for a game or still fringe?
He’s never been fringe when fit he’s in our best 22

hi lads - looking forward to the hit out tomorrow, although hope its more circle work than pre season injury fest...

can anyone tell me how Richards is tracking this pre season? is he thereabouts for a game or still fringe?
Been playing off the HB line. Was ruined by injury last year, seems to be getting a clean run at it this year

Couldn't disagree more. I really couldn't give stuff that Daisy is a women. I just love her analysis. She understands the modern game well. Carey is still stuck in 90's football and his analysis is so predictable & basic.

Ranking the channel 7 special comments team:
1. Hodge
2. Bartel
3. Daisy
4. Lingy
5. Carey

6. Richo
7. Jobe

I don't like any of them. The whole commentary where there are 4 announcers and they all feel they have to say something to justify being there.
I turn the sound off and watch the game without commentary.
If we kick a goal or there is a highlight, I turn the sound on to hear what they say, then off goes the sound again.
The constant talk annoys and distracts me.

The best commentators are professionals like Cometti and Huddo. not former players.

I'm just old and grumpy!

KM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back