News Giants in the Media

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Definitely one we misjudged.
It was impossible to keep them all. We usually get it right. What is 'pleasing' is that he didn't want to leave. The culture and the people are great and that's key. 'Eekolly' we've learnt draft strategy has to be so well crafted over years to get list balance right.

But yes....I would like him back now please.

Haven't heard much about Callaghan lately...lots about JHF and Daicos.

Does anyone know what injury he is actually carrying right now?

Who was he up against at the time in the mid dept?
He was definitely depth at the time. Played 10 games, and our preferred midfielders included Cogs, Shiel, Scully, Kelly, Ward, Griffen, and Whitfield. Smith couldn't break into that middle either.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
He was definitely depth at the time. Played 10 games, and our preferred midfielders included Cogs, Shiel, Scully, Kelly, Ward, Griffen, and Whitfield. Smith couldn't break into that middle either.
The important thing is making sure that players like Bruhn and Callaghan stay.
Future 'franchise players'...at least until they are that.

That way...even when we lose them we get plenty back in return (is: Cameron, Shiel, Treloar).
The hardest part (and why the Steele ones hurts) is when you let a player leave before they reveal their potential.
That's why keeping Bobby Hill was the right move. He could be worth a fair bit more by end of year....and if he isn't...we don't have to pay him that much.

As much as I'd hate to see it...if someone did come for Taranto at the end of this year...they would have to pay through the nose to get him out.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Steele was going to be Griffen's successor (hard at the ball and strong tackler). We needed Ryan's experience at that time, and after he'd left the Dogs in the way he had, we weren't going to cull him at the end of 2016. We just had to keep Jack for 2 years until Griff was ready to retire. (And, Griffen was injured for most of 2017 anyway, so Steele may have had more time had we managed to keep him, although still competing with a lot of mids if he'd stayed at GWS.)

Jack was the biggest casualty of the AFL screwing us with the sudden list reduction, Paul Ahern another. Others we lost probably wanted to head back to Melbourne (or Perth in Sunshine's case) more.

However, we ended up with I think 5 draftees that year (Taranto, Setterfield, Perryman, Cumming & Tiziani), so could have (and should have) kept Jack and overlooked Tiziani.

I think it's just a list management fu** up. For whatever reason they didn't see him becoming the player he is now. Hard to see it being salary related if he was that desperate to stay, difficult to say without knowing the full circumstances.
I think it was a reasonable decision at time.
Most people rated him highly, wanted to keep him, but understood the reasons for letting him go.
List size and salary cap slashed, something had to give.
He has gone on to be a ripper, good luck to.him,.
Absolutely, if we knew he was going to be this good, we would have kept him, but that is the benefit of hindsight, and of course would have been at the expense of another quality player with the salary cap

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Giants defender Phil Davis has emerged from his late-season challenges last year with unshaken belief as he vows to win back his spot in Leon Cameron’s best side.

But it was a reality check for Davis, who admitted the knee injury he sustained in 2020 had impacted him.

“I understand that my performance before my concussion (in Round 20) was just solid without being spectacular. Players come in and replace you, but that’s elite sport. Selection pressure is really important for any side – and no one should be immune to that.

The scenario coincided with him being out of contract, which added drama to the story, although not for Davis. “I was never too concerned about getting a contract. There was one basically all year sitting there for me,” he said.

Asked if he considered playing elsewhere, Davis said he was proud of what he had achieved at the Giants – on- and off-field – and wanted to end his career there. That won’t necessarily be at the end of this season, even though he re-signed for only one year. “I know that Leon’s got a lot of belief in me and I’ve got a lot of belief in myself,” Davis said.

“Whoever gets ‘Buddy’, whether it be me, Sam Taylor, Jake Stein, Lachie Keeffe or Connor Idun, there’s a lot of options there for us,” Davis said. “Sam’s a terrific young player with a very bright future ahead of him. He’s going to be a multiple All-Australian by the time his career is all said and done.”

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The DailyTelegraph is again producing & promoting its 2 very large AFL publications in 2022, each costing $7.95.

"FOOTY22 magazine on sale now​

220224_Footy22_Web.png

The Daily Telegraph’s annual glossy footy bible is back and bigger than ever!

Get 132 pages packed with must-read player stories".

"Registration numbers are on par to topple record participation in the region (NSW & ACT)...tens of thousands of players (regd. club & school comp. players- but not including community programs, Gala Days etc.) will pull on their boots this season supported by skilled coaches, eager volunteers, expert umpires...
Almost 100 players from NSW & the ACT are currently listed with elite teams (AFL & AFLW)"

AFL's R. Marshall said "...we've invested in increasing our school footprint across NSW & ACT by 13% in 2022 (Words in brackets, & emphases, mine)".

FOOTY22 magazine on sale now - AFL NSW / ACT

The Daily Telegraph’s annual glossy footy bible is back and bigger than ever! Get 132 pages packed with must-read player stories, SuperCoach tips plus every player and every club rated for 2022. It even features a page on the state…Read more ›
aflnswact.com.au
aflnswact.com.au

Last edited:
Back