2nds Season 2022 GWS Giants VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 Pre-Season Update - GWS Giants​

The GWS Giants have yet to confirm much news around their VFL program so far but a few exits have been confirmed while a new head coach has also been announced after a strong 2021 VFL season as the Giants finished in the top eight and with a positive win/loss record as they won seven games and lost just four. They will look to continue to build on that form as they continue as just one of two New South Wales based sides.

Competition Updates​

The Victorian Football League will return for the 2022 season on March the 26th and will continue to align closely with the Australian Football League Men's season for a 22 round season with each team taking 4 byes each. The Aspley Hornets are the only team to confirm their exit from the eastern coast competition with the remaining 21 clubs beginning to strengthen their sides for another run.
The salary cap has been increased by $20,000 for standalone teams to $220,000 while AFL and AFL-aligned clubs have received just a $10,000 boost to $110,000. The caps also introduce the ability to pay $10,000 of a playing coach's salary outside the cap while indigenous coaches implement a $5,000 concession.
The list size rules also remain pretty much identical to the 2021 rules with AFL affiliate clubs having a maximum of 30 players (15 development players, 15 primary listed players) while stand-alone clubs can have a total of 40 players on their lists (28 primary listed players, 12 development players).

Coaching Updates​

The man that led the GWS Giants VFL program in 2021 has departed the western Sydney-based side. Luke Kelly held multiple roles across the Giants that included a development assistant coach role, defensive coordinator role, and performance analyst role but has departed to join Port Adelaide as a senior assistant coach leading midfield development.
Damian Truslove has been confirmed to replace Kelly as the leader of the Greater Western Sydney Giants VFL squad. Truslove joins with experience from the AFLW program and experience as an assistant coach of the club's NEAFL team from 2017-2019 and is expected to oversee a young and developing side.
The Truslove assisted NEAFL squad failed to have a real impact in the competition as they finished in finals qualification just once in 2019 and included a wooden spoon in his first season. The club and himself will hope to have a much better run in 2022.

Outgoing Players​

The GWS Giants have announced very little on how the 2022 VFL side will line up but with Alex Smout signing for Wodonga, he’ll be among the list of departing players for the side alongside Jack Driscoll, who has found a new home at Werribee.
Alex Smout joined the Giants reserves team after playing for the Canberra Demons when they participated in the NEAFL and had a strong 2021 season in the VFL competition. Smout managed seven games across the season where he averaged 22 disposals that included a 33 disposal game in the opening round and a two-goal haul in a third-round matchup that handed the Southport Sharks their only loss for the season. He will be a considerable loss for the side as the Giants lose both talent and experience with Smout's exit.
Academy product, Jack Driscoll, has also departed the club to move south as he managed just one VFL game while managing his academy requirements. The singular game that Driscoll played at the reserves level came in round 5 as he showed promise in a big loss against Richmond and collected 16 disposals.
Matthew Buntine and Nick Shipley were delisted over the off-season from the AFL squad and will not wear the orange again after making an impact in the reserves in 2021.
Buntine played seven matches across the season, averaged 17.6 disposals and 7 marks. His stand-out match came against Werribee in round 10 with 26 disposals.
Shipley was also a mainstay for the VFL side where he played every available game while averaging 22.8 disposals over ten games alongside 6.6 tackles with just one game where he found less than 20 disposals.
Matthew Buntine is expected to join the Casey Demons whereas Nick Shipley has yet to confirm his 2022 commitments

Re-Signed Players​

The GWS Giants listed 24 players for their 2021 reserves squad and are yet to formally announce any returnees as of yet.
Harry Grintell was confirmed through sources from outside of the club to have re-signed with the Western Sydney team for 2022, while Mackinley Miller has been listed as part of their academy squad but it has not been confirmed how much the academy squad will be connected to the VFL squad.
Grintell kicked two goals across four games at the reserves level but lacked statistically disposal-wise, averaging just 7.8 disposals whereas Miller focussed on his academy requirements and did not play at the level.
Josh Fahey did enough to be awarded AFL selection for the Giants but will still be available when not required by the senior team. Fahey was selected at pick 42 in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft after three games across the VFL season where he averaged 13.3 disposals and had a standout game against Richmond in round five where he collected 24 disposals.

Summary​

*=Expected but not yet confirmed.
IN: None
OUT: Alex Smout (Wodonga), Josh Fahey (AFL), Jack Driscoll (Werribee)
RE-SIGNED: Harry Grintell*, Mackinley Miller*
TO BE CONFIRMED: Kel Evans, Matt McGrory, Cameron Edwards, Xavier Barry-Murphy, William Clark, Rhys Pollock, Joshua Boag, Matthew Ackland, Timothy Garvey, Nathan Smith, Leyton Chisholm, Zachary Youlten, Lucas Lam, Joshua Lee, Kyle Veerhuis, Fraser Kelly, Sam Frost, Maximus Monaghan, Josh Green

More than just those 4, though.

Josh Green, the two Clarks, Cam Edwards just at a quick recall were also GWS Academy - maybe going back a few years.
Good to see the boys sticking around, I wouldn't be shocked if Grintell was looked at for the MSD if he has some good form at VFL level, thought he'd be our rookie selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few Swans Academy graduates in that list - Bailey Stewart, Ryan Hebron (who played for Swans VFL last year), Kyle Veerhuis, the 2 Eynauds, and Zach Youlten.

Conversely I see Nick Shipley is on the Swans VFL list.

Ryan Hebron has been appointed as the inaugural captain of the GIANTS VFL team.

A Sydney local who has represented the Swans, Werribee and now the GIANTS VFL sides, Hebron boasts maturity and on-field leadership beyond his years. Having arrived at the Club from cross-town rivals the Sydney Swans during the off-season, Hebron is looking forward to getting stuck into what he hopes is an undisrupted season following two years heavily impacted by COVID.

“I felt like the time was right for a new environment,” Hebron said of his move to the GIANTS. “The opportunity to work under Lloyd Perris and Damian Truslove was a big factor in getting me across and I’ve loved every minute of my experience so far.”

1648404828976.png

1648404689861.png
1648404705218.png

Finn Callaghan was influential in the Giants’ 18-point win against Port Melbourne. GWS’ first pick (No.3 overall) in last year’s NAB AFL Draft, Callaghan amassed a game-high 34 touches (22 kicks, six handballs).

Ruckman Braydon Preuss was outstanding, finishing with 21 touches, 41 hitouts and a goal, while Lachlan Keeffe chimed in with 16 possessions and a goal.

Rookie-listed players Jake Stein (29 disposals and a goal) and Jacob Wehr (27 possessions) were among the best for the home team.

Last edited:
I made it to the game. The clear stand outs for me were: Preuss, Who had an almost unfair size and height advantage. He moved around the ground well and was super competitive. Callaghan had a great game. He moved really well almost Kelly-like, was confident and thoughtful in his kicking and handballs, looks like a very classy player. He had a few possessions that actually made me gasp. Was quite impressed by Aleer, he was flying at every ball coming in the defensive 50, always got his hands to the ball first. He will be a superstar defender. Hamilton actually impressed me with what i saw, as expected he was aggressively competitive, just really hard at the ball. I can see him doing well at AFL level this year if given the chance. Wehr seemed to be everyWehr. Great running, very competitive and was brave and creative, with quite a few memorable possessions. Stein, Keefe, Kennedy all had a massive impact and played great games as you'd imagine. I also like the game of Angwin, I don't think he's too far away, made a few skill errors but they weren't easy kicks and it was a very wet and slippery day. Looked like Josh Fahey was injured as we was watching alongside his friends in the stand. It was good to see Stone and Briggs helping out the coaches in the breaks.

On another note the new VFL captain is a player, It'll be good to have someone stable in the leadership role for the young guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back