Opinion Best team 2022

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Miers is a really interesting one to watch for me.

Ultra consistent in featuring on the scoreboard but as someone who isn’t much of a two way player, 1-2 goals isn’t enough anymore now that he has a few seasons under his belt. He’s good finisher and oddly accurate for someone with such a strange style but good small forwards don’t just kick 1-2 a game, they Bob up with 3-4 every couple of weeks

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Miers is a really interesting one to watch for me.

Ultra consistent in featuring on the scoreboard but as someone who isn’t much of a two way player, 1-2 goals isn’t enough anymore now that he has a few seasons under his belt. He’s good finisher and oddly accurate for someone with such a strange style but good small forwards don’t just kick 1-2 a game, they Bob up with 3-4 every couple of weeks
But like a lot of folks have suggested, he hasn't really been used as a traditional small forward, more as a high half forward link man. He may be more suited to a role closer to goal when we get to see him injury-free again? Wouldn't say he's not a 'two way player' though. Does a power of running and a lot of it defensively. Some might even say too defensively.

Almost impossible to pick a best 22 for the Cats at the moment.
My gut feel, is this year more than ever the MC will use a lot more players.
If the intention is to see more youth and contend - I get the feeling MC will be very busy week to week.

Defenders:

Blicavs: Fit and settled at full back from all pre-season reports
SDK: Looks fit, played CHB in match sims - looks locked for round 1 and hopefully can cement his spot
Henry: Should make it for round 1, star in the making. Would like to see them try and get him match ups where he can be aggressive. Seeing him get towelled by Max King last year made me feel he is better off playing on small/medium types and looking to intercept.
Stewart: Same as Henry, Key to absolutely everything. Want to see him and Henry as High as possible, on match ups that allow them to be weapons.
Touhy: A best 22 lock, I'd like to see him playing hb and using his ball use but is fit and can play wing or hf.
Bews: should play round 1, but will feel atkins and zuthrie breathing down his neck.

Competing for spots:
Kolo:
Lots of people writing him off as best 22. A lot will depend on how SDK goes and if they like Henry playing on the third tall. I expect him to play round 1 as MC tries to hedge its bets.
Zuthrie: It's now or never, he's a very diligent trainer, took a step fwd last year and would be hoping to get the nod ahead of Kolo. Has one over on Atkins in that he has taken the third tall previously, and has shown an ability to intercept.
Atkins: Maybe in the 23 - 26 bracket. Fighting with Bews for the lockdown small role. If touhy settles down back, it might be very hard for him.
Stevens: Can play wing or half back, I expect to see him get some games this year. Good user, good mover, 193cm.

Midfielders:

Dangerfield:
groins are better, had a good off season and he said he expects to be in the middle. Hoping for a big year, AA
Guthrie: In great shape again, coming off two very consistent elite years, expect the same from him again
Parfitt: Our best defensive mid/tackler. Hope to see a little more accumulation and burst from stoppage but I think he starts our first CB
Smith: played the defensive wing role exceptionally well last year. Started a lot of our chains and had a good year. Looks set to do the same. Will see him rested at times
Duncan: very fit atm, but has been held back to get on the top of recurrent calf niggles. a bit worrying, but he has an amazing base of fitness and is crucial to our side. will be an interesting watch to see where they play him. High half (ablett role?), Half back (where he played when he got back from injury last year) or wing (probably his best position). Hopefully they are very conservative and gear him for a big finish to the year.
Selwood: talk of him playing fwd seems unsual. I expect him to play round 1, as an inside mid. Frequent rests but he starts in the best 22 and only form and fitness would change this.
Holmes: Love to see him at a lot of CBA's in the sim. He can play forward or wing too and and is a very good athlete. Hopefully he breaks out a bit.
O'Connor: trained with the mids, is flying and i think the O'connor mid experiment will continue - either way, he is best 22, lauded for his learning curve, discipline and his leadership

Competing for Spots:
Menegola:
An elite trainer, he has had a little hiccup with his knee but is supremely fit again and the club aren't worried about it holding him back. If fit, He plays round 1.
Higgins: by all reports in much better nic this year, feeling fresh and has been a great leader in the off season. Apparently very determined to prove a few wrong. I get the feeling he will get 10+ games this year and I hope we see a bit more of impact when he does play - needs to hit the scoreboard better if he does play that ablett high half role.
Simpson: feels make or break for sammy. Hopefully his body stands up, and if an injury opens up - will get a chance. versatility helps him
Narkle: Can't see him starting round 1 unless we get some injuries. Would need to make every post a winner to be on the list again next year. His stoppage work is good, he has a little x factor but would need to improve his defensive pressure and spread to feature again next year.
Stephens: so good to see him fit. We will see him a bit this year. Missed a lot of footy so whilst expectations are high, might take him a little bit to find his feet. I just hope he can stay fit and get some continuity and confidence so that he can show us his potential.
1st year players: Knevitt and Willis have impressed. Knevitt will be first to play I think and that's really exciting.

Rucks:
Stanley:
With Cegs hiccup, I expect Stanley to start in the middle Round 1. Cegs will certainly create some competition and hopefully this brings out the best in Rhys.
Ceglar: I expect to see Cegs play with Rhys quite a bit. He's handy forward and will put some pressure on big Esava to hold his spot. When fully fit, will absolutely have claims in being R1.
Tsits / Conway: hopefully big development years for our future rucks. Excited about Conway and that selection has grown on me with everything I have seen and heard

Forwards:
Hawkins:
If he can stay fit, still an absolute superstar.
Cameron: apparently he's super fit - exciting to see what he can do. would love to see him with ball in hand more often, his skills are elite and roaming higher plays to his strengths in blowing up oppo defenders. The most exciting thing for us this year is the prospect of a career best year for jezz.
Close: Such a good story. our best pressure player, expect to see him used a little higher and find a bit more footy this year

Competing for spots:
Esava:
you'd think he gets first crack at backing up Stanley. Might even get to play fulltime fwd if Stanley and Cegs play together. Wouldn't want an extended period of low impact or injuries though. If so, I hope they leave him at full fwd in the two's with a view to the post hawk future
Rohan: maybe running out of tickets. his home & away form is really good, but it wouldn't want to drop given our depth of smalls. I expect he plays rd 1.
Evans: good chance to play in miers absence round 1. would love to see him put his hand up for that spot
Stengle: offers something genuinely different, i really hope he is the week one.
Miers: been a mainstay, but has his deficiencies. elite runner, but defensively he trails close/evans, and whilst he has had scoreboard impact as a junior, he hasn't regularly at senior level and his decision making makes his ball use look suspect further up the field. MC clearly rate him and I do too, but with higgins fit, close evans and stengle - competition is strong.
Neale: Would love to see neale settled fwd in the two's and get a game there if an opportunity presents.
Ollie Dempsey: inside the club they are wrapped with this smokey. apparently very raw and not physically ready but it's said he is an asbolutely freak ahtlete who does some crazy good things including sitting on heads

Round 1 vs Essendon.
FB: Bews, Blicavs, Henry.
HB: Stewart, SDK, Touhy
C: Smith, Guthrie, Menegola
HF: Holmes, Cameron, Close
FF: Esava, Hawkins, Stengle.
R: Stanley, Dangerfield, Parfitt.
Int: O'Connor, Selwood, Evans, Rohan
Emg: Stephens, Stevens, Kolo, Ceglar

Duncan/Miers to miss.
Really good write-up.
Only player I can't agree on, but nearly everyone agrees with you so no worries, is Kolo. I'd like him in our best 22 each week, along with Bews, but you can't always get what you want...

Last edited:

PeasFC

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Really good write-up.
Only player I can't agree on, but nearly everyone agrees with you so no worries, is Kolo. I'd like him in our best 22 each week, along with Bews, but you can't always get what you want...

Thanks mate.

I actually like the versatility Kolo brings.
He's actually a decent kick but his decision making can be suspect.
If they play him round 1, I hope they give him a run at it.

Hard to leave someone out though.
Who from that 22 would you drop to get him in?

The obvious is Evans.
Maybe Rohan.
Then Touhy is free to play wing/hf with mids rotating forward a little more.

There are definitely match ups for kolo round 1.
Perfectly suited to play on Francis, Langford, Smith and obviously Stringer.

Will be very interesting.
Can't wait to watch Saturday morning.

Thanks mate.

I actually like the versatility Kolo brings.
He's actually a decent kick but his decision making can be suspect.
If they play him round 1, I hope they give him a run at it.

Hard to leave someone out though.
Who from that 22 would you drop to get him in?

The obvious is Evans.
Maybe Rohan.
Then Touhy is free to play wing/hf with mids rotating forward a little more.

There are definitely match ups for kolo round 1.
Perfectly suited to play on Francis, Langford, Smith and obviously Stringer.

Will be very interesting.
Can't wait to watch Saturday morning.
My premise is that Kolo is a best 22. Hendo is out, if SDK is in, fine, but Kolo is in already.
Agree, Evans out of that lineup. Not sure he has done enough to replace a regular contributor who is at the peak of his powers age wise and experience wise. I realise different spots.
Agree- Kolo v Stringer.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The guys sure are lean

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 2.15.23 pm.png

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Almost impossible to pick a best 22 for the Cats at the moment.
My gut feel, is this year more than ever the MC will use a lot more players.
If the intention is to see more youth and contend - I get the feeling MC will be very busy week to week.

Defenders:

Touhy: A best 22 lock, I'd like to see him playing hb and using his ball use but is fit and can play wing or hf.
Bews: should play round 1, but will feel atkins and zuthrie breathing down his neck.

Competing for spots:
Kolo:
Lots of people writing him off as best 22. A lot will depend on how SDK goes and if they like Henry playing on the third tall. I expect him to play round 1 as MC tries to hedge its bets.
Zuthrie: It's now or never, he's a very diligent trainer, took a step fwd last year and would be hoping to get the nod ahead of Kolo. Has one over on Atkins in that he has taken the third tall previously, and has shown an ability to intercept.
Atkins: Maybe in the 23 - 26 bracket. Fighting with Bews for the lockdown small role. If touhy settles down back, it might be very hard for him.

Midfielders:

O'Connor:
trained with the mids, is flying and i think the O'connor mid experiment will continue - either way, he is best 22, lauded for his learning curve, discipline and his leadership

Rucks:

Forwards:

Competing for spots:
Esava:
you'd think he gets first crack at backing up Stanley. Might even get to play fulltime fwd if Stanley and Cegs play together. Wouldn't want an extended period of low impact or injuries though. If so, I hope they leave him at full fwd in the two's with a view to the post hawk future
Rohan: maybe running out of tickets. his home & away form is really good, but it wouldn't want to drop given our depth of smalls. I expect he plays rd 1.
Evans: good chance to play in miers absence round 1. would love to see him put his hand up for that spot
Stengle: offers something genuinely different, i really hope he is the week one.
Miers: been a mainstay, but has his deficiencies. elite runner, but defensively he trails close/evans, and whilst he has had scoreboard impact as a junior, he hasn't regularly at senior level and his decision making makes his ball use look suspect further up the field. MC clearly rate him and I do too, but with higgins fit, close evans and stengle - competition is strong.
We have a deep list, good cover on each line, not much separating our 16th best from our 30th

I think Tuohy's days as a defender are past him, he was exposed at times, where not unlike Selwood, his direct opposition just ran off him, on the burst he can't keep up.

Atkins/Bews/Kolodjashnij they all of their own strong point, if AFL had a "runs above replacement" metric. I just don't think they add much value. Huge area for a kid to break through.

Not sure what to make of O'Connor, similar to the above when selected as a defender, probably doesn't have the goods as a mid either. It is hard to be a pure stopper, that gets worked out sooner than later. He needs to be an actual threat to be more than just a Blicavs' style gimmick.

Sav has gotten a golden run at selection. I just want him to consistently dominate in the 2nds before getting the call up. Guys like Brown and Walker would have been loving the types of opportunities he's gotten.

I want to see Evans again, Miers out gives him a chance. With Selwood potentially forward with Higgins, our fleet of smalls might not get their chance.

Last edited:

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
R1 team

Bews Blicavs Tuohy
Stewart SDK O'Connor
Smith Guthrie Holmes
Duncan Stanley Cameron
Stengle Hawkins Dangerfield
Ceglar Parfitt Selwood
Close Stephens Rohan Willis

Best 22

Bews Blicavs Tuohy
Stewart SDK Henry
Smith Duncan Menegola
Dangerfield Stanley Cameron
Miers Hawkins Stengle
Ceglar Guthrie O'Connor
Close Parfitt Selwood Stephens
Em Rohan Holmes Higgins Willis

R1 team

Bews Blicavs Tuohy
Stewart SDK O'Connor
Smith Guthrie Holmes
Duncan Stanley Cameron
Stengle Hawkins Dangerfield
Ceglar Parfitt Selwood
Close Stephens Rohan Willis

Best 22

Bews Blicavs Tuohy
Stewart SDK Henry
Smith Duncan Menegola
Dangerfield Stanley Cameron
Miers Hawkins Stengle
Ceglar Guthrie O'Connor
Close Parfitt Selwood Stephens
Em Rohan Holmes Higgins Willis
Interesting Larry that you have Willis in there...really like what I have seen from him.

PeasFC

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
We have a deep list, good cover on each line, not much separating our 16th best from our 30th

I think Tuohy's days as a defender are past him, he was exposed at times, where not unlike Selwood, his direct opposition just ran off him, on the burst he can't keep up.

Atkins/Bews/Kolodjashnij they all of their own strong point, if AFL had a "runs above replacement" metric. I just don't think they add much value. Huge area for a kid to break through.

Not sure what to make of O'Connor, similar to the above when selected as a defender, probably doesn't have the goods as a mid either. It is hard to be a pure stopper, that gets worked out sooner than later. He needs to be an actual threat to be more than just a Blicavs' style gimmick.

Sav has gotten a golden run at selection. I just want him to consistently dominate in the 2nds before getting the call up. Guys like Brown and Walker would have been loving the types of opportunities he's gotten.

I want to see Evans again, Miers out gives him a chance. With Selwood potentially forward with Higgins, our fleet of smalls might not get their chance.

Share your sentiments on almost every line mate, thanks for the reply.

Touhy can play half back - there is usually room to protect a defender from being exposed by matching him on the high half. Dogs do it with Daniel who isn't explosively quick. Pies will look to do it with Pendles. Swans with Lloyd. The best thing about Touhy is that he can play HB, W and HF. The more we get the ball in his hands the better. I agree that I wouldn't want to see him deep on someone like Rozee.

O'Connor's defensive game when moved to Rozee last year was very strong. He looked like blowing the game apart and them MOC just gloved him. I think they believe O'Connor's best is yet to come. I'm not sure whether that will be as a mid or as a lock down defender but I'm glad to hear that he is fit and is clearly in MC's plans. You are right that he would need to show a bit more with ball in hand.

Sav is the most interesting. You are absolutely right that he's been given a good run at selection. Our ball movement certainly hasn't made it easy. Don't mind him playing some two's as a permanent forward. Will always be a low possession player but needs to hit the scoreboard more often and bridge the gap between his best and worst games.

Love your point that now it's definitely time to ask the question "how much worse would we be off replacing x for a kid."
If Bews/Atkins/Kolo/Touhy are left out for Stevens, Kroeger or even Zuthrie to get a run, I'm all for it. They've seemingly put a lot of faith into SDK by passing on Dean/Schelnsog/Talia/Skinner/Brander.

Same up forward. Higgins/Dal/Rohan - only play if their form absolutely demands it. Close is a lock, but it's definitely time to get a real look at Simpson. Miers has had a good run and probably needs to take the next step. Then games into Evans and Stengle. Neale too I expect to see at some stage.

Mids: Stephens, Knevitt and Willis should get a run too. Allow them to get into form in the two's and pick them when they are. Rests for Selwood, Duncan, Menegola can help facilitate the right amount of games into this group. Hopefully one of the three take a big step and make it hard to leave them out.

Xcat

Team Captain
Sep 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Share your sentiments on almost every line mate, thanks for the reply.

Touhy can play half back - there is usually room to protect a defender from being exposed by matching him on the high half. Dogs do it with Daniel who isn't explosively quick. Pies will look to do it with Pendles. Swans with Lloyd. The best thing about Touhy is that he can play HB, W and HF. The more we get the ball in his hands the better. I agree that I wouldn't want to see him deep on someone like Rozee.

O'Connor's defensive game when moved to Rozee last year was very strong. He looked like blowing the game apart and them MOC just gloved him. I think they believe O'Connor's best is yet to come. I'm not sure whether that will be as a mid or as a lock down defender but I'm glad to hear that he is fit and is clearly in MC's plans. You are right that he would need to show a bit more with ball in hand.

Sav is the most interesting. You are absolutely right that he's been given a good run at selection. Our ball movement certainly hasn't made it easy. Don't mind him playing some two's as a permanent forward. Will always be a low possession player but needs to hit the scoreboard more often and bridge the gap between his best and worst games.

Love your point that now it's definitely time to ask the question "how much worse would we be off replacing x for a kid."
If Bews/Atkins/Kolo/Touhy are left out for Stevens, Kroeger or even Zuthrie to get a run, I'm all for it. They've seemingly put a lot of faith into SDK by passing on Dean/Schelnsog/Talia/Skinner/Brander.

Same up forward. Higgins/Dal/Rohan - only play if their form absolutely demands it. Close is a lock, but it's definitely time to get a real look at Simpson. Miers has had a good run and probably needs to take the next step. Then games into Evans and Stengle. Neale too I expect to see at some stage.

Mids: Stephens, Knevitt and Willis should get a run too. Allow them to get into form in the two's and pick them when they are. Rests for Selwood, Duncan, Menegola can help facilitate the right amount of games into this group. Hopefully one of the three take a big step and make it hard to leave them out.
Let's not forget Touhy was really good in the sf against GWS off hbf. Definitely still an option for him, especially given Menegola, Smith, Duncan share that wing spot.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Is Selwood confirmed captain for 2022? Haven’t seen it on the captaincy main board thread.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Dropping Selwood is madness...just won't happen and neither it should.

I also do not believe he is record chasing for his own satisfaction.
Joel - is still in our best 6-7 players - automatic selection - and will be sorely missed when he does retire ( which i dont think will be for another 2 years )

Scott is very inflexible in moving players - compared to say a M Blight . I would like Selwood at times played on a hff - in some of those big Haw come from behind wins - he was dangerous around the goals

Some players in the twilight of their career - are moved to a totally new position - eg Ian Nankervis - rover to a back pocket - became State captain - Sammy Newman - a ruckman - then became a top CHF - K Bartlett - a rover to a permanent hff - with great success

Scott wont try any of that stuff - another reason why he piisses me off

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Joel - is still in our best 6-7 players - automatic selection - and will be sorely missed when he does retire ( which i dont think will be for another 2 years )

Scott is very inflexible in moving players - compared to say a M Blight . I would like Selwood at times played on a hff - in some of those big Haw come from behind wins - he was dangerous around the goals

Some players in the twilight of their career - are moved to a totally new position - eg Ian Nankervis - rover to a back pocket - became State captain - Sammy Newman - a ruckman - then became a top CHF - K Bartlett - a rover to a permanent hff - with great success

True, plenty of champion players have made a role for themselves in different positions later in careers. With Joel though I actually feel like we've been there and done that. Hasn't he been tried forward? And more recently on a wing, only to then find his way back to an inside mid? I remember Scott shifting Bartel to defence in 2013. He had some good games but it came apart in that pf when the pressure was really on. And he then went back to being a midfielder and looked a lot more comfortable again. As much as I love Joel, I think this will have to be his last year. If he can rediscover a way to get the best out of himself as a mid he may well lead us to unexpected glory. If not, there is no shame in leading from the sides instead of the front and being a mentor to those who will chase that glory next.

To be fair, Scott has already suggested Joel will get time up forward.

Agree about the importance of Selwood, but the bolded....I say garbage to that. Just from my limited memory-
Blicavs- tried everywhere.
Kolo- how long ago was it that he was a winger, and an onballer, and people saying "why do players have to be so flexible?"
Taylor- how often was he tried at KF, ditto Hendo.
Atkins- where have you seen him play?
CGuthrie- mid, tagger, small back- he's been everywhere.
Mark O'Connor- flexibility is his middle name.
Tuohy-small back, wing, hff
Miers, Parfitt - small forwards, mid.
Duncan-has been moved many times in his career.
Danger- mid, kf, hff
I know, once you are pissed off with him, your memories of his insistence that players be multipositional and flexible have been eroded

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree about the importance of Selwood, but the bolded....I say garbage to that. Just from my limited memory-
Blicavs- tried everywhere.
Kolo- how long ago was it that he was a winger, and an onballer, and people saying "why do players have to be so flexible?"
Taylor- how often was he tried at KF, ditto Hendo.
Atkins- where have you seen him play?
CGuthrie- mid, tagger, small back- he's been everywhere.
Mark O'Connor- flexibility is his middle name.
Tuohy-small back, wing, hff
Miers, Parfitt - small forwards, mid.
Duncan-has been moved many times in his career.
Danger- mid, kf, hff
I know, once you are pissed off with him, your memories of his insistence that players be multipositional and flexible have been eroded
Big deal

The one id like to see - is next time Geel play Melb - Scott plays Stewart head to head opposed to either Petracca or Oliver

Big deal

The one id like to see - is next time Geel play Melb - Scott plays Stewart head to head opposed to either Petracca or Oliver
What about MOC or Henry, or Menegola getting those roles?
Stewart is pivotal where he is- that was sorely missed in finals.

Back