Russia's invasion of Ukraine and what it means for football

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking that if Chelsea is taken off Abrahmovic, the league should issue any Chelsea title winning campaign to the club finishing runner-up. That would mean 2 titles to United… but it would also be 1 title to Spurs and seeing Gero happy would make me physically sick.

I am seriously torn. :(

I was thinking that if Chelsea is taken off Abrahmovic, the league should issue any Chelsea title winning campaign to the club finishing runner-up. That would mean 2 titles to United… but it would also be 1 title to Spurs and seeing Gero happy would make me physically sick.

I am seriously torn. :(
I’m always happy bruv.
You lose.

Even when we argue?

I knew it… You love me!
Sick In The Cut GIF by Bounce

I'd be happy for them to strip the club from Abramovich if he deserves it to be taken from him.

I dont have any faith in the Engish government doing the right thing either though and it sounds like they don't think he is getting sanctioned again.

Didn't really answer the question though. Given Abramovich seems set to continue to be the owner of the club, how do you feel about being a Chelsea fan in the light of the invasion of Ukraine? Any pause? Or business as usual?

Very reasonable to ask similar questions of Chelsea fans that were asked of Newcastle fans in the aftermath of the takeover. The links between Abramovich and Putin are well known and it's fair to say most Russian oligarchs are inextricably linked to the decision making of the regime. Can't feel great watching the Russian tanks roll through Ukraine and have Abramovich as your owner.

Key difference is Chelsea aren't being used as a sportswashing tool with every Russian state owned enterprise under the sun funding them.

Anyway possible for Abramovich to renounce his Russian citizenship and become just an Israeli?

Would mean he could never return to Russia and he would have to constantly test his cups of tea for Polonium though.
That assumes he doesn't agree with invading Ukraine. Which I'm not sure is the case

Anyway possible for Abramovich to renounce his Russian citizenship and become just an Israeli?

Would mean he could never return to Russia and he would have to constantly test his cups of tea for Polonium though.
I’d think rotting in some Russian jail would be more appropriate for him and his oligarch mates. You seem to have a strangely sympathetic tone with ‘Roman’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d think rotting in some Russian jail would be more appropriate for him and his oligarch mates. You seem to have a strangely sympathetic tone with ‘Roman’.

Haha not at all. I would like to see Abramovich publicly condemn the invasion and go against Putin. Cancel his Russian nationality. This would seriously undermine Putin & co. I think theres an opportunity to make this happen by threatening to take Chelsea off him and other nations threaten to seize his assets which mostly are not in Russia.

Didn't really answer the question though. Given Abramovich seems set to continue to be the owner of the club, how do you feel about being a Chelsea fan in the light of the invasion of Ukraine? Any pause? Or business as usual?

I do hope that if he is found to still have direct links to Putin that the club is stripped from him. I'm sure the majority of Blues supporters feel this way. But this goes beyond just football too, these guys should be seeing jail time for war crimes if they are still in Putins pocket.

Can I ask if you stopped supporting Liverpool when the Suarez episode happened and the club sided with a racist?

Why is it about fandom? Fans usually outlast any set of owners. They are the lifeblood.

It is good that the world is finally waking up to what some of us knew about Roman. He’s a POS, and has overseen a club grubbily win it all via his ill gotten gains.

Sad that it has taken the deaths of numerous Ukrainians for the world to realise Abramovich is a grub who empowered Putin just so he could dubiously continue to reap rewards off state assets. Putin however is no different to dictators of the past, a vile man leading a reprehensible regime

I do hope that if he is found to still have direct links to Putin that the club is stripped from him. I'm sure the majority of Blues supporters feel this way. But this goes beyond just football too, these guys should be seeing jail time for war crimes if they are still in Putins pocket.

Can I ask if you stopped supporting Liverpool when the Suarez episode happened and the club sided with a racist?

I didn't stop supporting Liverpool when the Suarez/Evra saga happened (I was only 15/16 at the time, maybe if it happened today I'd have a different response), but I am/was extremely disappointed with how the club handled that whole situation. It's by far the biggest stain on the FSG ownership of Liverpool (imo worse the the ESL or ticket prices) and I feel uncomfortable with the clubs fans celebrating Suarez to the extent that they do given Suarez has been completely unrepentant over the incident.

It's hard to say where exactly you draw the line when it comes to your club and what it would take to stop supporting them. The Suarez incident doesn't seem clear cut either way. I can respect people who would have said that Liverpool's handling of the situation turned them off the club, and I can respect people who were disappointed by the club but continue to keep supporting them. But I would say that I think your owner being complicit in the invasion of Ukraine is much more clear cut. It's well beyond a racism incident followed by complete idiocy by the club - and I don't think the comparison needs to keep being made.

Haha not at all. I would like to see Abramovich publicly condemn the invasion and go against Putin. Cancel his Russian nationality. This would seriously undermine Putin & co. I think theres an opportunity to make this happen by threatening to take Chelsea off him and other nations threaten to seize his assets which mostly are not in Russia.
So a slap on the wrist? You’re still in denial of how complicit the oligarchs are in all of this

I didn't stop supporting Liverpool when the Suarez/Evra saga happened (I was only 15/16 at the time, maybe if it happened today I'd have a different response), but I am/was extremely disappointed with how the club handled that whole situation. It's by far the biggest stain on the FSG ownership of Liverpool (imo worse the the ESL or ticket prices) and I feel uncomfortable with the clubs fans celebrating Suarez to the extent that they do given Suarez has been completely unrepentant over the incident.

It's hard to say where exactly you draw the line when it comes to your club and what it would take to stop supporting them. The Suarez incident doesn't seem clear cut either way. I can respect people who would have said that Liverpool's handling of the situation turned them off the club, and I can respect people who were disappointed by the club but continue to keep supporting them. But I would say that I think your owner being complicit in the invasion of Ukraine is much more clear cut. It's well beyond a racism incident followed by complete idiocy by the club - and I don't think the comparison needs to keep being made.

Fair enough mate, I think its fair enough to point out different supporter bases biased responses(not saying you are) but im not comparing the magnitude of these event. This issue goes beyond just football.

I guess all we can do as fans is have faith in the government to do the right thing, if Roman is complicit in the invasion of Ukraine surely he'll be sanctioned.

The way I see it I was a Chelsea fan before he came along and I'll still be one after he leaves. Roman is a part of Chelsea FC atm, he isn't Chelsea FC.

Why would he do that?

I did not understand why Australia Day should not be celebrated when I was younger, but now that I am informed, I no longer celebrate it.

Perhaps you could do the same with Liverpool. If you did not banish your club back when you were 15/16 because you were naive, is it too late to banish them now that you’re informed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back