Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Dietitian wanted my bloods done to see if she could alter my diet for my needs, so fasted overnight and had the bloods done at 11am, but yesterday was probably the 3rd worst day of the calorie deficit since my opening 2 Saturdays, so had to take my chest day off, though as I detoxed last weekend for 3 days, so from the 4 days from last Friday to Monday I averaged like 1750 a day across the 4 days, still trained too albeit at a medium intensity/volume and had a hard sumo Wednesday and a longish walk Thursday, so I think it's catching up with me

So

Today is officially a cheat day 😆🥳, need to load back up

Will try and keep it to low-mid 3000s

Just seems dumbbells are best for me atm for over half my compounds

In a perfect world, in a perfect gym, I would love to use dumbbells when I do my second split for the week, but its just such a headf**k with an area/bench then finding the correct dumbbells to do 3 sets with.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
In a perfect world, in a perfect gym, I would love to use dumbbells when I do my second split for the week, but its just such a headf**k with an area/bench then finding the correct dumbbells to do 3 sets with.
This melted me most about training at Derrimut and St Kilda Sea Baths

You want to do 1-2 exercises with dumbbells

Every bench hogged in the db area/db area full...have to suck it up on a machine

Got 8 pairs from 4-20kgs in hex now for hone gym, will move onto bigger sizes later in the year, though need a rack first so that's my next buy in the next 2 months

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

You want to do 1-2 exercises with dumbbells

Every bench hogged in the db area/db area full...have to suck it up on a machine

Got 8 pairs from 4-20kgs in hex now for hone gym, will move onto bigger sizes later in the year, though need a rack first so that's my next buy in the next 2 months
So yeah

This is something I'm 100% getting as it matches my cage, but currently out of stock, though I won't really need it until I get more plates and it can hold barbells too with 1 holder a side, so I'll put my 6 foot bar and curl bar on it whenever I buy it.

I worked out it will take 4 pairs of 10-17.5kg/equivalent, but I'll likely do 5 smaller pairs on top (6/8-15kg) and 3 medium/medium-heavy sized dumbbells on the bottom shelf (27.5-32.5kg)

This one below I've identified as a plan to put most of my heavies on, so I'll try and get it in around Easter or something, has more shelf space than the one above, so I can build this up past capacity before I need to grab another one.

Works out to be a perfect 4 pairs of 17.5-25kg on top and I'll mix and match 35s, 37.5s, 40s, 42.5s and 45s between the bottom shelf and the floor depending on what I'm using, though if i only need to go up to 40kg then even better, can chuck other things underneath it

Was 1 from Sam's Fitness I was interested in too, but I think it'll be backup option as it's a bit wider

One woman does ab work right in front of the dumbbell rack.

One guy does 15kg barbell wrist curls on a bench right in front o the dumbbell rack.

One guy does lateral raises in front of the dumbbell rack and uses every muscle in his body to get the dumbbell up except for the middle deltoid. :drunk:

A lot of people when I see them work out, after a set they could literally do another set after 10s. There is no exertion, no training to failure. The might as well move furniture and get paid for it.

When s**t like this happens, I have little choice but to stick to the squat rack and do all my compound movements in there.

Im currently basing my gym work around golf.
Anyone follow any strength and power programs that’s worth checking out?

I was thinking of adapting Wendler’s 5/3/1 to my dead and squat days.

I’ve had some success with 5/3/1 and Juggernaut in the past but I haven’t done proper strength training for years so I’m out of the loop.

Any help would be appreciated

Where u play?

One woman does ab work right in front of the dumbbell rack.

One guy does 15kg barbell wrist curls on a bench right in front o the dumbbell rack.

One guy does lateral raises in front of the dumbbell rack and uses every muscle in his body to get the dumbbell up except for the middle deltoid. :drunk:

A lot of people when I see them work out, after a set they could literally do another set after 10s. There is no exertion, no training to failure. The might as well move furniture and get paid for it.

When sh*t like this happens, I have little choice but to stick to the squat rack and do all my compound movements in there.
In tribute to your troubles, I'm going to do goblet squats in the preacher curl area tomorrow morning.

Fight back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
My barbell exercises across the week are Front Squats, Hip thrusts, deadlifts, power clean, OHP and bench. Of those only deadlifts and power cleans do I use clips. The rest I don't both be able to dump if required and as a means of seeing if I'm not keeping balanced across sides (the latter in general stopping the former).
I clipped my bench bar for years until i went to failure for the first time in an empty gym and nearly crushed my skull.

Never again.

I clipped my bench bar for years until i went to failure for the first time in an empty gym and nearly crushed my skull.

Never again.

Ironically I use safety clips for Bench now, but only because I do OHP and if I dont get the "good" clips, I have ones that are so difficult to put on and off.

At my gym though we have very very rigid and strong safety bars, so its safe as houses. Otherwise I wouldnt be using clips.

phantom13 glad your ok, its kinda scary when you hit failure and trapped like that. Its happened to all of us in here.

Ive said it before seeing that video in FULL, of the woman killing herself while squatting, made me very more aware of any potential stupid s**t I may do.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ironically I use safety clips for Bench now, but only because I do OHP and if I dont get the "good" clips, I have ones that are so difficult to put on and off.

At my gym though we have very very rigid and strong safety bars, so its safe as houses. Otherwise I wouldnt be using clips.

phantom13 glad your ok, its kinda scary when you hit failure and trapped like that. Its happened to all of us in here.

Ive said it before seeing that video in FULL, of the woman killing herself while squatting, made me very more aware of any potential stupid sh*t I may do.
Its one of those things before it happened to me that danger literally NEVER occurred to me. Id just never even considered that could happen.

After it happened i told everyone i knew about it and they all reacted the same way "oh s**t, i never thought of that".

I reckon the move to get out of the way was a burst of adrenaline and pure luck.

Its one of those things before it happened to me that danger literally NEVER occurred to me. Id just never even considered that could happen.

After it happened i told everyone i knew about it and they all reacted the same way "oh sh*t, i never thought of that".

I reckon the move to get out of the way was a burst of adrenaline and pure luck.

I will also be careful in trusting random spotters too. There is an "art" to knowing how to spot correctly and Ive declined when asked, mainly because to protect my lower back, but also I dont know exactly how to do it properly not to mention, you have to be ready to hold onto a heavy weight, which if youre already taxed can be trouble either for you or the lifter.

The "funny" thing about failure, is that it can happen at unusual times. Even with guard rails, I wont push myself to failure for Bench (although I will stop 1-2 reps max), mind you I should try it with much lower weight to test the set up in place that I have.

You should watch "gym fails" for bench press, it is educational. Plenty out there.

Just to be clear, I dont count hitting failure as a gym fail. I count doing stupid s**t as gym fails, ego lifts etc.

Ive probably only done "to failure" on anything with weights a handful of times since then. Its pretty rarely needed. My close call absolutely made me think much more seriously about what i was doing.
It seems much safer on pulling exercises than anything else.
I've been doing a set of max-reps chin ups to start my Friday ABW. All time best is 22 about 7 years ago, managed 20 last week so I'm getting close.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've been doing a set of max-reps chin ups to start my Friday ABW. All time best is 22 about 7 years ago, managed 20 last week so I'm getting close.
Not bad at all, I don’t think I’ve ever done a max chins it woukd be awful now (at my heaviest).

My biggest claim to fame was a 100kg bench and 100 push up double from a few years back.

Correct me if Im wrong, with pulling exercises in general youre more likely to tear/strain a muscle than anything else, as opposed to certain push exercises that introduce the element of potential death.

Not bad at all, I don’t think I’ve ever done a max chins it woukd be awful now (at my heaviest).

My biggest claim to fame was a 100kg bench and 100 push up double from a few years back.

I remember the first time I did 100kg bench, I was about 20 years old.

No technique, unrack, let it drop to my chest (no control whatsover), then pray to God that I can lift it up. Brave and stupid.

Yes I did push it all the way back up, but that involved using probably every other muscle in my body except my chest.:D Pretty sure, my arse was way off the bench too.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember the first time I did 100kg bench, I was about 20 years old.

No technique, unrack, let it drop to my chest (no control whatsover), then pray to God that I can lift it up. Brave and stupid.

Yes I did push it all the way back up, but that involved using probably every other muscle in my body except my chest.:D Pretty sure, my arse was way off the bench too.
I would have been exactly the same to be honest, i squeezed an extra 15kgs out once i got a decent technique.

I follow a few powerlifters who all arch the s**t out of their backs and say its totally fine. Apparently in comp it is but it looks completely cooked to me.

I would have been exactly the same to be honest, i squeezed an extra 15kgs out once i got a decent technique.

I follow a few powerlifters who all arch the sh*t out of their backs and say its totally fine. Apparently in comp it is but it looks completely cooked to me.

Yes learning decent technique can surprisingly can add a few kilos easily.

There is arching and then there is arching.

giphy.gif

I am more like the guy below, but still my arch is a lot more less pronounced.

PUryL.gif

Back