Remove this Banner Ad

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Big deal

The one id like to see - is next time Geel play Melb - Scott plays Stewart head to head opposed to either Petracca or Oliver
Big call..! It does kinda remind me a bit of the game v Brisbane last year where Stewart was given a minding job on Charlie Cameron. At the time I thought Scott had lost his mind. You can imagine Fages all week scratching his head about who to play on Stewart to keep him quiet. Then all of sudden, match starts and you can throw all the notes out the window. Stewart goes to Cameron. Way to mess with your mind Fages.. only Stewart had his colours lowered that day and Cameron showed us that good lock-down defenders earn their keep too.

Mar 3, 2012
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Bews Blicavs Stewart
Zuthrie Henry O'Connor
Menegola Duncan Holmes
Close Cameron Parfitt
Stengle Hawkins Dangerfield

Ceglar Guthrie Parfitt
Evans, Smith, Whyte, Higgins

Emerg: Selwood, Miers, Rohan, Touhy, Kolo, Stephens (if he is fit)

Last edited:

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
This is know for sure:
Stengle best 22.
Zuthrie best 22.
Dahlhaus VFL.
Zach was good today :thumbsu: and Cam didn't look for a cheapy all game :thumbsu: I hope that's the result of a permanent change of thinking at the Cats that could result in more direct movement of the ball our of our backline.

I didn't watch the match today as I was at work, but something regarding Dahlhaus - wasn't there some talk or suggestion after last season that Dahlhaus & the club were looking at the potential for retirement on medical grounds but it was denied

If there's any element of truth to that, then wouldn't it be likely that Dahlhaus would spend more time in the VFL than AFL this coming season, and maybe even a break glass in emergency type player

Bews Blicavs Stewart
Zuthrie Henry O'Connor
Menegola Duncan Holmes
Close Cameron Parfitt
Stengle Hawkins Dangerfield

Ceglar Guthrie Parfitt
Evans, Smith, Whyte, Higgins

Emerg: Selwood, Miers, Rohan, Touhy, Kolo, Stephens (if he is fit)
No Stanley on your radar at all?

At this stage I’d have:

B: Bews Blicavs Zuthrie
HB: Stewart Henry Tuohy
C: Duncan Parfitt Smith
HF: Miers Cameron Menegola
F: Stengle Hawkins Close
R: Stanley Guthrie Dangerfield
Int: Selwood Ratugolea Higgins Holmes
Em (from): Ceglar Rohan Atkins De Koning Narkle Kolo Evans

I’d have Zuthrie ahead of Kolo at this stage but not sure they will go that way.

Not sure how De Koning fits but he obviously should and will get games.

I never want to see Rohan again but that’s not going to happen.

Atkins will play but he’s a 🥔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
At this stage I’d have:

I’d have Zuthrie ahead of Kolo at this stage but not sure they will go that way.

O’Connor for Higgins and Rohan for Miers and this would be my starting side.

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure about other lines but our forward line should be something like

Close Cameron Menagola
Miers Hawkins Stengle

Have Close take Miers link up role from the last few years and keep Miers and Stengle closer to goal as they are far more dangerous in the forward 50 and Close much better at linking up

At this stage I’d have:

Id drop kolo for zuthrie too but that leaves us short for kpds compared to our normal structure. We have a lot of small/med def options compared to kpd.

Otherwise thats my side too our main issue is still ruck sav is an ok fwd but is a potato at actual ruckwork but what do we do if we drop him? Do you play both cegs and stanley or does stanley up forward get in hawk's way? You cant really 2nd ruck blitz unless both kolo and sdk are in the 22 i think.

I also think simpson will be very close to the 22 if fit but we do have lots of competition for spots.

After his efforts yesterday, he should be a break glass in case of an emergency player.

Ceglar for me (if fit) as number 1 ruck going into the season.

I agree although we need a few games to see if ceglar is better.

Otherwise thats my side too our main issue is still ruck sav is an ok fwd but is a potato at actual ruckwork but what do we do if we drop him? Do you play both cegs and stanley or does stanley up forward get in hawk's way? You cant really 2nd ruck blitz unless both kolo and sdk are in the 22 i think.
The only other lever is SDK freeing up Blics for more ruck. None of the options are ideal.

It’s a big year for Sav IMO. He must take a big step forward, mainly in consistency, to keep our interest in him.

The only other lever is SDK freeing up Blics for more ruck. None of the options are ideal.

It’s a big year for Sav IMO. He must take a big step forward, mainly in consistency, to keep our interest in him.

Like your side CE...I think I'd have Ceglar in before Esava..I thought he was poor yesterday.

Mitch Duncan might struggle to get up for Round 1 which with a little shuffling would allow SDK to get more exposure and add height and strength to your proposed backline.

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Zuthrie , Blicavs , Bews
Stewart , Henry , O’Connor

Smith , Selwood , Duncan
Stanley , Danger , Menegola

Close , Cameron , Parfitt
Stengle , Hawkins , Miers

INT - Holmes , Guthrie , Tuohy , Ratugolea

EMG (from) - Ceglar , Rohan , Narkle , Atkins , Kolo , Higgins , Evans , DK

Like your side CE...I think I'd have Ceglar in before Esava..I thought he was poor yesterday.

Mitch Duncan might struggle to get up for Round 1 which with a little shuffling would allow SDK to get more exposure and add height and strength to your proposed backline.
Not a big fan of the two pure ruck model in this day and age. I’m sure Ceglar will get a look at some point though.

There was a passage of play where Sav dropped an easy mark 30m out and within a minute took a much harder pack mark in the same spot. Summed up the frustration with him perfectly.

Sounds like many think Henry will play rd 1.
He never plays rd 1 (as from 2021 anyway).
And not sure Ceglar, Duncan get up.
So rd 1 should see Stanley, Kolo and Sav in the 22.
Let's see who pushes them out afterwards.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham

FWIW Scott was interviewed on the big screen before the game and was asked about the injured players - he said only Menegola is ruled out and that we expect Duncan, Henry and Ceglar to be available for round 1. I didn’t hear him mention Miers either way.

Back