2022 preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Said at the time we drafted him, that Whyte could be the best of the lot if given the chance - and boy does it look like it from those highlights. What really surprised me, was when Sel tried to go around him, and he was having none of it and tackled him to the ground - that is focus and intent very early on.

Knevitt got all the plaudits in his draft year, and Jhye Clark is the star of the future that I definitely suspect we'll go after this year, but, it was really Whyte that went under the radar and showed he was the most likely to play early if given a chance. Very composed in traffic and good disposal, plus a good head on his shoulders and tough as nails for his size - really excited to see him in one of the practice matches (hopefully). Gonna surprise a lot of people IMO

Im sure would love to see all press for games earlier than expected. If we can pick up a gun kid late its a real bonus..usually there is a reason they are taken later..so will enjoying see how they go. In the clip I liked the way he moved thru the field of play, he looks like he will handle the pace of play.

Hearing that Whyte has transitioned well really put a smile on my face. I'm a big believer in the importance of rate of development. The facts are 12 months ago he was a half forward for the geelong falcons, got an opportunity in the midfield for a few games, showed a lot of potential, gets an oppotunity on an afl list and seems to be pushing for the best 22 after 1 preseason. The short story is he has gone from a half forward in the nab league to a solid depth player at afl level in 12 months.

His story reminds me alot of zac butters except it appears covid hid his potential. I think butters was pick 13 from memory. He certainly wasn't the 13th best footballer at the time of the draft but it was where he came from at the start of the year to where he was as footballer that made him so impressive. They happen to be almost identical players in my opinion as well with how they go about it. Butters will probably break out this year in just his 4th season.

I'm so excited to watch vfl next year and watch the crop we drafted last year. Knevitt has just about the highest upside of a draftee I can remember, Willis, Kroeger and Whyte are all similar players who are mids first but there skill set is so wide all of them can play wherever on the ground, Conway is the traditional ruck we have been crying out for a decade and Dempsey is the Wells' special who has played 6 games of aussie rules since u13's or something like that.

On Geelongs socials which cats_09 will no doubt post “ I can’t do it as well as her”
There’s a puff piece of Sam Dekoning and his practice matce
In the short video he takes many strong marks, out marks Sav easily twice “enough said” but what is the highlight for me is Hawkins has he just to edge under the footy like he does most opponents, but SDek manages to get a fist in and not pushed off it easy.
I just saw the Cooper Whyte videos too, and he kicks it lace out to Sav on the lead. It just reminded me that ball delivery and connection with mids and forwards is everything. Sometimes it’s important to put things in perspective.

Question: is Mark Blicavs related to Meikayla Moore? I have a feeling he must be. Because Moore is the NZ soccer player that score a goal on her left, a goal on her right and a goal with her head whilst playing against the US. Only problem is she’s a defender and they were all own goals! 🤣🤣🤭🤪

preseason related cause I think I saw Mark training in the defence this year!
Lucky for us, if Mark does this, it’s only a point and it puts the ball in Stewarts hands straight after.

Not a bad thing to have a potential for diamond in the rough early on...
No pressure for him to perform... its nice to see the skills and composure no doubt.

Showed the Skip up too.

Go Catters

Ordinarily no one would give a damn. but because it is the reigning premiers, who already have a young list, welcomed back Tomlinson, they are very much the team to beat in 2022 & beyond.

My partner is a Dees fan and I was bullish about them 2 years ago so I’m all across the Dees. They look freakin’ scary good! Their Top 5 superstars are in their prime, they have depth and a spine to die for. If they find a consistent KF who can kick 50+ goals, they’ll be close to unstoppable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they find a consistent KF who can kick 50+ goals, they’ll be close to unstoppable.

What's happened to Weiderman?
Showed so much promise early but sort of following in Tom Hawkins' footsteps where he was almost trade bait.

If he can cement his spot in the best 22, it's just what they need.

Showed so much promise early but sort of following in Tom Hawkins' footsteps where he was almost trade bait.

Serious? Hawkins was never nearly trade bait. No comparison for me.

first 3 years Hawk 12,13,34 goals. Weideman 3,3,10.

Not sure of the comparison with Hawkins - Weideman was ok but not that real promise until his 5th season, while not sure Hawkins was ever trade bait beyond a few misguided suggestions on an internet forum

As for Weideman, it looks pretty simple in that he seemed to have something of a breakout season in 2020, but after the acquisition of Ben Brown he became more of the backup option in 2021

He signed a 2-year extension prior to the GF & will be a RFA at the end of next season

Serious? Hawkins was never nearly trade bait. No comparison for me.

first 3 years Hawk 12,13,34 goals. Weideman 3,3,10.

Not sure of the comparison with Hawkins - Weideman was ok but not that real promise until his 5th season, while not sure Hawkins was ever trade bait beyond a few misguided suggestions on an internet forum

As for Weideman, it looks pretty simple in that he seemed to have something of a breakout season in 2020, but after the acquisition of Ben Brown he became more of the backup option in 2021

He signed a 2-year extension prior to the GF & will be a RFA at the end of next season

I never compared them both.
If you read what I posted, I said Weiderman is sort of following in Tom's footsteps. Top 10 draft picks (Hawkins would have been top 3 if not for F/S), enormous potential in brief patches during games but took years to put it all together.

I'm not sure you aware but Hawkins was copping that much crap by the time 2011 rolled around, he was lost and facing the crossroads in his career. Neglected to the reserves and barely doing enough to get a call up.
Weiderman is as talented of a young key forward as there is in the competition right now.

I just saw the Cooper Whyte videos too, and he kicks it lace out to Sav on the lead. It just reminded me that ball delivery and connection with mids and forwards is everything. Sometimes it’s important to put things in perspective.
Love seeing the relaxed nature of his disposal on the left peg. Could really add something through the middle of the ground if he can find space and hit targets as cleanly as this footage suggests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressed by Fiore at full forward in the 5th and 6th quarters....(#80)......looks a good prospect.

Dempsey also a strong contributor.. and like the foot skills of Stevens. Looks very composed with ball in hand.

Impressed by Fiore at full forward in the 5th and 6th quarters....(#80)......looks a good prospect.

Dempsey also a strong contributor.. and like the foot skills of Stevens. Looks very composed with ball in hand.
Stevens will make it, I have very little doubt about that.

Finds it, generally uses it well, and seeks to play a team-based role. At pick 47, he looks a genuine Wells special to me.

He’s also back home is SA two weeks before the season. You’d say it would be responsible to suggest he’s going to miss significant time. The fact he had a partial ACL tear in the knee last year doesn’t bode well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back