Training 2022 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell in the back pocket seems obvious to me. He needs a few seasons before he has the experience and body to mix it in the midfield and he can either develop as a pressure forward or a back.

Out the back he will get plenty of time to watch the game, see where and how people run, and learn to take responsibility for an opponent. It's also the position he will be able to have time with the ball and learn how to use his great kicking to move the ball up the ground.

I'm sure he could play as a forward, or even a wing etc, but this looks like the best way to develop him into the best player he can be to me.

Campbell played both attack and defence last year. I don't see any issue in him playing down back for a season or two, improving his accountability before moving into the midfield. Most of our best midfielders had to learn the ropes before being thrown in, McVeigh and Jack were both taggers for long periods before given attacking roles. Mills was a small defender before now. It's just part of many of our players development

Millsy is a big worry....

Take out Dawson, George and Millsy and we look seriously average

I don't agree with this at all. We had great wins against quality opposition last year without Mills and with George playing a minor role, whilst Dawson leaves vacated a role with probably the single most competitors on our list out of any role.

With the level of talent on our list, I really believe we could win the flag with anyone but Heeney, Buddy and McCartin missing.

I think the only areas that we need to improve are finding another key defender to shore up our defence, get better at ball-handling/hand skills, and be harder and cleaner on the inside. Accomplishing those three things may seem insurmountable but every club will have a list of shortcomings and to only have three - at least two of which could very realistically be overcome this year - is a great place to be in.

Bad news. It appears although Kayo will stream the various trial matches next week they are NOT on the freebies list.
If you don't have a subscription (which I don't) I guess the 14 day free trial would be one way around the restriction.

Other hope is that the club will have a replay or that Kayo will make it a freebie some time after the game.
Not holding out much hope on either.

Bugger.
I was looking forward to my first footy fix for the year.
I live overseas and normally there would be a notice from Watch AFL saying they will stream. But there is nothing. I wonder if the club will put on a stream of the game?

I'm backing us in for Top 4 this year. I'm not sure if we will get best 22 continuity though as we have about 28 players that are all able to be best 22. I wonder if we rotate players or just have some very unlucky players miss out.

Lofty expectations! we didn't improve in the off-season you could argue we lost more than gained.

I'm backing us in for Top 4 this year. I'm not sure if we will get best 22 continuity though as we have about 28 players that are all able to be best 22. I wonder if we rotate players or just have some very unlucky players miss out.
Horse has said many times that he likes a stable back 6 but this year I think we'll see some experimentation with the second KPD with up to 4 different occupants over the season.
If he starts out I think McDonald will need some management through the season, maybe Bud too, which could see McLean and/or Amartey getting games.
That would make 27 without anything happening in the midfield. There will be at least 2 pushing for games there.
Then there are injuries.
If we only used 29 players that would be surprising. Probably more like 32 or 33.

I went to training on Monday, got there a bit late and saw only the last half an hour or so. Hot day in Sydney.

There was a match simulation in progress with most of the squad, I saw Mills taking part, however Lizard was at the far end of the oval doing his own program, was too far to spot who else was with him.

Was most impressed by one moment of Paddy receiving the ball at half back and hitting a low 45m dart across the body to Buddy in the centre who straightway kicked to the forward 50. The thing of beauty!

Warner family with 2 younger sons was standing close and followed the training. During the breaks and after the training, pretty much every Swans player stopped by them, hugged the mom, exchanged handshakes with dad and kids and spent some time chatting.

Warner family with 2 younger sons was standing close and followed the training. During the breaks and after the training, pretty much every Swans player stopped by them, hugged the mom, exchanged handshakes with dad and kids and spent some time chatting.

Not sure which team the Warner family supported 3 years ago but it is safe to say they have changed their allegiances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to training on Monday, got there a bit late and saw only the last half an hour or so. Hot day in Sydney.

There was a match simulation in progress with most of the squad, I saw Mills taking part, however Lizard was at the far end of the oval doing his own program, was too far to spot who else was with him.

Was most impressed by one moment of Paddy receiving the ball at half back and hitting a low 45m dart across the body to Buddy in the centre who straightway kicked to the forward 50. The thing of beauty!

Thanks for the report. The Paddy dart to Buddy is no surprise from what I saw last year. He has good vision and excellent field kicking skills.

Systems and roles can be taught to most players. Footy IQ is not something that can be taught.

I'm starting to get a sense that Lachlan McAndrew might be a fair way ahead of what was generally expected when he was drafted.

Only a guess though based on not a lot.

Would be fun to have a 209cm young ruckman who's promising.
Can't coach height!
Having played rugby he'll be used to pretty heavy body contact. He looks fairly slight but he's 101kg according to his profile. We didn't hesitate to put him on the list so he must have shown something.

Can't coach height!
Having played rugby he'll be used to pretty heavy body contact. He looks fairly slight but he's 101kg according to his profile. We didn't hesitate to put him on the list so he must have shown something.

He's much heavier than I thought, as you said.

21 not 19.

Seems to be fully involved in training with the main rucks.

Named for the first preseason match, although not expecting him to get many minutes.

Plus for us to take him in the mid season draft when he had zero chance of playing, suggests that maybe we thought he would not be a player we could just rookie in last year's national draft.

He's much heavier than I thought, as you said.

21 not 19.

Seems to be fully involved in training with the main rucks.

Named for the first preseason match, although not expecting him to get many minutes.

Plus for us to take him in the mid season draft when he had zero chance of playing, suggests that maybe we thought he would not be a player we could just rookie in last year's national draft.
He had played some VFL and I'm guessing we liked what we saw but didn't anticipate the total destruction of the VFL season!

Training reports always appreciated and treasured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back