Los Angeles Lakers Thread - The Inagural IST World Champions

Remove this Banner Ad

Anything is worth a try now. Maybe Westbrook as a traditional point guard and LeBron as a traditional PW can work. Westbrook with whatever his role is now is not working.

Putting LeBron in the paint might actually create some spacing in a weird way.

I get the feeling that LeBron is just happy collecting 30pts a game and thinks most (all) of his teammates are useless.

Of course it would would work. Lebron is too greedy.

You could see in the first 5 min of the season Westbrook needs the ball

Why am I being tagged?

I didn’t like LBJ before he came to LA, but respected his play.

I talked myself into liking him, but I honestly think the drive and leadership off court he was known for has disappeared in his later years. Which to some degree I get because the man has achieved everything already? But if that’s the case then retire instead of wasting the worlds time until your son plays…

Why am I being tagged?

I didn’t like LBJ before he came to LA, but respected his play.

I talked myself into liking him, but I honestly think the drive and leadership off court he was known for has disappeared in his later years. Which to some degree I get because the man has achieved everything already? But if that’s the case then retire instead of wasting the worlds time until your son plays…
I noted with interest that youre a lakers fan, henceforth the tag. I noticed you on the liverpool FC thread.

I noted with interest that youre a lakers fan, henceforth the tag. I noticed you on the liverpool FC thread.

Sounds good mate. I’m still getting my head around the rest of the BF site

It's worse than that. Watching James makes me sick. Defensively and as a leader he is an absolute spud. No wonder lockeroom is putrid

I had been a Lakers fan since the 1970s, grew up watching Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Kobe, Shaq, Gasol, Cooper, etc, the list is endless of the stars we've enjoyed.

However, I cannot stand LeBron, he's a pig of a person, and was horrified when he joined the Lakers. My passion for the Lakers ended the moment he walked in the door. I just cannot bring myself to support any team with LeBron in it.

I notice this season he switched from 23 to 6. I feel it's because, not only does he think his number should be retired at the Lakers (which it shouldn't), he probably thinks they should retire both numbers ala Kobe. Don't do it Lakers.

Sorry, I just despise the man so much. I'll see my way out.

I had been a Lakers fan since the 1970s, grew up watching Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Kobe, Shaq, Gasol, Cooper, etc, the list is endless of the stars we've enjoyed.

However, I cannot stand LeBron, he's a pig of a person, and was horrified when he joined the Lakers. My passion for the Lakers ended the moment he walked in the door. I just cannot bring myself to support any team with LeBron in it.

I notice this season he switched from 23 to 6. I feel it's because, not only does he think his number should be retired at the Lakers (which it shouldn't), he probably thinks they should retire both numbers ala Kobe. Don't do it Lakers.

Why despise him? LeBron is a superstar. He just is. The man is a freak.

Sure he does some stupid iso s**t and defers too much at times. But he is amazing.

Only at Miami did LeBron ever have an A grade setup. Great back office, great coach, great players.

If LeBron had Pippen for his whole career he would have won at least 6 and probably a lot more. Then add Rodman, Kukoc, Grant, etc.

LeBrons biggest and really only knock is he is a terrible GM. He should not have ever been allowed to influence rosters. Jordan never did - he would have sacked Kukoc if he did.

Maybe it is because LeBron wasted half his career at Cleveland with bog average rosters that he insisted on so much input. Whatever it is it should have never been allowed. Players are players.

Being a terrible GM is Jordan's biggest flaw as well. But at least he waited until after he retired and only ruined the team he owns.

I started in the early 80s. LBJ is so far away from being able to hold a candle to the leaders we have had in the past.

He is so selfish, so self absorbed and cares simply about how he is perceived in the future.

I'm sorry but LBJ just isn't a killer like Jordan and Kobe.

Why despise him? LeBron is a superstar. He just is. The man is a freak.

Sure he does some stupid iso s**t and defers too much at times. But he is amazing.

Only at Miami did LeBron ever have an A grade setup. Great back office, great coach, great players.

If LeBron had Pippen for his whole career he would have won at least 6 and probably a lot more. Then add Rodman, Kukoc, Grant, etc.

LeBrons biggest and really only knock is he is a terrible GM. He should not have ever been allowed to influence rosters. Jordan never did - he would have sacked Kukoc if he did.

Maybe it is because LeBron wasted half his career at Cleveland with bog average rosters that he insisted on so much input. Whatever it is it should have never been allowed. Players are players.

Being a terrible GM is Jordan's biggest flaw as well. But at least he waited until after he retired and only ruined the team he owns.
Why despise him? There's more to life than just being able to play basketball. IMHO, he's a failure as a human being.

Any Laker fans watching the doco on Disney+, Legacy: The True Story of the L.A. Lakers?

I've watched the first four episodes, and while I find it interesting and I am learning about a few things I knew nothing about (the Worthy trade that thankfully didn't happen, Buss' financial issues in 1987 and the real reason for Riley walking away) it does feel it's a little Buss-centric. The series started when Jerry Buss purchased the Lakers, so the first 25 years of the Lakers in Minneapolis and the early days in Los Angeles aren't really discussed, and episode four finishes with Magic's HIV announcement. The second half of the series will be about Shaq, Kobe and co, but unfortunately it was filmed after Kobe's passing and so he isn't involved.

But it is great to see the Lakers legends like Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Wilkes, Rambis, Scott, Riley and co talk about the teams greatest era, it was also nice to see players like Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas and other greats from other clubs talk about their experiences playing against the Lakers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was the story there? Worthy remains by all-time favourite Lakers player, that would have distressed me to see him playing elsewhere.
Top 11 NBA Trades That Would Have Changed the Game

11) 1986: James Worthy and Byron Scott for Roy Tarpley and Mark Aguirre
Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss knows talent, but Hall-of-Fame General Manager Jerry West knows basketball. On the block, there is a phrase known as “real recognizes real”—well, this was the case in 1986. It was this theory that saved Dr. Buss from one of the biggest blunders in NBA history.
Dr. Buss made a deal with then-Mavericks owner Don Carter to trade Big Game James Worthy and shooting guard Byron Scott for On the Mark Aguirre and a center with All-Star talent named Roy Tarpley.
Now, any other year or player, this is a good if not great trade for the Lakers. However, real recognizes real, so Jerry West knew a baller when he saw one and was emphatic that Buss keep Worthy. In fact, West threatened resignation if Dr. Buss did not call Carter and renege.
West may have been aware of the fact Tarpley was known to fly—and no, not with Delta. For all of Tarpley’s talent, he lacked the championship intangibles that Worthy possessed, so West forced Dr. Buss to back out of the deal.
Carter obliged and Worthy remained a Laker and would become a champion. Tarpley would play a total of 280 games over a brief six-year career that would end in banishment from the NBA for repeated drug violations.

Like you, I love Worthy, probably my second favourite after Magic, and to lose him in a boneheaded trade would have been shattering, especially as the club's greatest period in the 80's was yet to come and he was such a major player in that successful era. Thank God for Jerry West.

The Los Angeles Lakers had the opportunity this offseason to acquire Bojan Bogdanovic, Mike Conley, Rudy Gay and a 2023 first round pick from the Utah Jazz in exchange for Russell Westbrook and their first round picks in 2027 and 2029, according to Tony Jones of The Athletic.

Jones doesn't specify which 2023 first round pick the Jazz would have traded to the Lakers, but it presumably would have presumably been either the one from the Minnesota Timberwolves, or the least favorable selection from the Brooklyn Nets, Houston Rockets and Philadelphia 76ers.

I cant even muster energy to be mad

What I don't understand is, if the trio of LeBron, Davis and Westbrook were an abject failure last year, why did the Lakers think it would work this season? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Can't wait to see LeBron back at the Cavs where he can destroy them like he did the Lakers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back