R: Martin, Bont, Libba
Int: Dunkley, Richards, Schache, Hannan

SUB: VDM

Emerg: Sweet, JUH, Scott

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After the practice matches and including the guys that might miss a week or two, this is the best structured side I think we can put out for the first half of the year.

B: O’Brien Keath Crozier
HB: Williams Gardner Dale
C : Hunter Bont Smith
HF: Daniel Schache Hannan
F: Weightman Naughton JJ
R: English Dunkley Macrae
INT: Richards Libba Treloar VDM
EMG: Duryea R Smith Martin/Sweet Jones

Reasoning:
English seems to be the number one ruck and I don’t think either Martin or Sweet offer much as a Forward/Ruck. Obviously some weeks you play one of them if the opposition has a two ruck combo.
I think Daniel could fix some of our issues with connecting with our forwards. Given dale, Williams, Richards and crozier all look in good form and duryea as back up we can afford to play Daniel higher.
I think atm Schache is the best second tall forward option we have until JUH takes a step forward but there is no reason we couldn’t play him along side Schache and Naughton. Also Schache could offer some ruck relief when we play English one out.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After the practice matches and including the guys that might miss a week or two, this is the best structured side I think we can put out for the first half of the year.

B: O’Brien Keath Crozier
HB: Williams Gardner Dale
C : Hunter Bont Smith
HF: Daniel Schache Hannan
INT: Richards Libba Treloar VDM
EMG: Duryea R Smith Martin/Sweet Jones

Reasoning:
English seems to be the number one ruck and I don’t think either Martin or Sweet offer much as a Forward/Ruck. Obviously some weeks you play one of them if the opposition has a two ruck combo.
I think Daniel could fix some of our issues with connecting with our forwards. Given dale, Williams, Richards and crozier all look in good form and duryea as back up we can afford to play Daniel higher.
I think atm Schache is the best second tall forward option we have until JUH takes a step forward but there is no reason we couldn’t play him along side Schache and Naughton. Also Schache could offer some ruck relief when we play English one out.

I like this, but I’d swap VDM on the bench for Duryea. He’s by far the best we have in the small lockdown role and we need that.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Duryea Keath Williams
HB: Crozier Gardner Dale
C : Hunter Bont Treloar
HF: Libba Schache BSmith
INT: Richards Hannan Cordy Daniel

Cordy provides a tall body. O'Brien comes in for him when healthy.

Last edited:

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
How competent is O’Brien as the relief ruckman? Would like to see him as an intercepting defender but if Martin is playing at his current level and Sweet is below even that (plus Naughton needing the help) I wouldn’t be averse to him and English sharing ruck and 2nd forward role 70/30

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought English was very good last night. Had 20 plus possessions and a fair bit of success in the centre. Martin not so much - some good things but a bit rusty.

We were missing: Libba, Duryea, O’Brien and Gardner. Also interesting that we didn’t play JUH. We play Hannan instead but he is more a fast flanker than a reliable lead and mark.

I though Schache was Ok without being great - there is great potential as long as he never drops his head again - has to know as a KPD he must go at it full on. Would understand Gardner being picked but think it is worth investing in Schache as a potential long term solution.

Bont look very dangerous every time he went forward - got his hands on three marks but was falling backwards rather than going for the market with power and while we missed a few we were still competitive in the midfield - and overpowered them in the last quarter even without Libba who will make this better.

Naughty+Bont plus JUH are three good talls. English goes to FF for a rest when Martin goes into mid and Bont goes into the guts.

Love crozier but Duryea was just fantastic last year. Red has incredible upside but didn’t really take his opportunity and won’t keep OBrien out.

First 22

Duryea Keath Williams

OBrien Schache Dale

Hunter Dunkley BSmith
English Macrae Libba

Trelor Bont JJ

Weightman Naughton JUH

Int: Daniel, Martin, VDM and best of next West/García/Richards/Crozier -Sub (one of these). I would keep rotation 1-2 of these players each game to develop them.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How competent is O’Brien as the relief ruckman? Would like to see him as an intercepting defender but if Martin is playing at his current level and Sweet is below even that (plus Naughton needing the help) I wouldn’t be averse to him and English sharing ruck and 2nd forward role 70/30

O'brien is a 193/194cm skinny 28 year-old with a rather fragile body who I daresay has hardly ever rucked in his career.

Not sure why you think this is feasible...?

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Expect/Hope the team will be something like the following

B: Duryea Keath Williams
HB: Dale Cordy Daniel
C: Hunter Dunkley Macrae
HF: B. Smith Schache Treloar
F: Weightman Naughton Johannisen
R: English Bontempelli Liberatore
I: R Smith Vandermeer Martin Richards
E: Crozier, Hannan, Gardner, Wallis

I continue to find the anti-Cordy sentiment on this forum difficult to understand, as it bears very little relation to his on field performance.

Based on recent form, positional flexibility and injury considerations, his position in the side for Round 1 should not be in question. Noting that Keath has a poor record first up following injury including last year's GF, and Gardner missed last night's match too, taking a chance on both of them in the Round 1 team and omitting Cordy to accommodate such a risk would appear a little foolhardy.

Don't know whether Duryea was injured or rested last night, if the former then Crozier would likely replace him in the final side.

I suspect that the MC will try to wedge Hannan into the side if he is fully fit, but it is difficult to see who misses out for him, possibly R. Smith or Vandermeer. Schache could also be squeezed out but given the questions on our other KPDs, I think he likely still get selected based on his ability to play at either end.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My team for 2022 round 1

B: Richards Keath Williams
HB: Dale Gardner Daniel
C: B.Smith Liberatore Hunter
HF: Treloar Naughton Bontempelli
FF: Schache English Weightman
R: Martin Dunkley Macrae
INT: Hannan Johanissen Duryea R.Smith
S: Crozier
EMG: Wallis Jones McCombe, Scott

Notable omissions:
O'brien - sounds like he won't get up for rnd 1
JUH - no points on the board
Cordy - he just doesn't fit into a side where you are playing two rucks.
Wallis - just not best 22 anymore
McNeill - not sure where he is at

Strategies:
Must play with 3 tall forwards to take pressure off Naughton and also let him get up the ground.
Schache to continue on with his defensive tall forward role and hopefully pick up where he left off last year. I think last night was just a spell down back to "wake him up".

Wish-listers:
O'brien in for Duryea
Sweet in for Martin

Concerns:
Without O'brien the side has a very similar make-up to 2021, and is not good enough to beat Melbourne. We simply don't have a true versatile back who can play both tall/small and who could cover Bailey Fritsch.
Apart from Bont our best team is essentially a group of talls and smalls. We lack true utilities which is why I can't wait to see O'brien down back, or players like Bedendo, Khamis and Parker get a gig.

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
O'brien is a 193/194cm skinny 28 year-old with a rather fragile body who I daresay has hardly ever rucked in his career.

Not sure why you think this is feasible...?
I think it’s feasible because he has actually played the roll in the past for Hawthorn and also there articles suggesting he might be used in the roll for us. The context of a cooked Martin and a not up to scratch Sweet is important.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
From all reports Schache spent all preseason playing on Naughty so I don’t believe he’s going forward. Has to be Naughty, Sweet/English & Jamarra up there round one surely
"all reports" care to enlarge ? Could Schache have played on Naughton teach him, Schache, forward play ?

d

Last edited:

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think it’s feasible because he has actually played the roll in the past for Hawthorn and also there articles suggesting he might be used in the roll for us. The context of a cooked Martin and a not up to scratch Sweet is important.

I stand corrected just spoke to my Hawthorn mate who indeed verified that he has done it in the past. The issue was his lack of vody strength if he did not get a clear run, and also lack of follow-up work.

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
I stand corrected just spoke to my Hawthorn mate who indeed verified that he has done it in the past. The issue was his lack of vody strength if he did not get a clear run, and also lack of follow-up work.
Thanks, sounds like you’d really want to limit his exposure to the opposition #1. Surprising that lack of follow-up is a negative relative to the more lumbering types but I guess that’s just less experience being in and around the ball.

Notwithstanding that (and it’s a moot point given he’s not looking fit for round 1) I’d feel much more comfortable against the Dees with O’Brien almost tagging Jackson rather than Stef Martin trying to keep up.

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Concerns:
Without O'brien the side has a very similar make-up to 2021, and is not good enough to beat Melbourne. We simply don't have a true versatile back who can play both tall/small and who could cover Bailey Fritsch.
Apart from Bont our best team is essentially a group of talls and smalls. We lack true utilities which is why I can't wait to see O'brien down back, or players like Bedendo, Khamis and Parker get a gig.

The theory of our team, and defence in particular, simply not being good enough being the primary reason that we lost to the demons in the grand final seems to have plenty of support but just isn't consistent with actual events.

Including the practice match we played Melbourne 4 times last year and split the results 2-2, hardly evidence that we can't compete with them. In the GF; we got smashed out of the centre bounce; made some significant tactical mistakes such as our midfielders choosing not to kick long to our forwards (including Naughton); had some players who had atypical nightmare games (e.g. Weightman and Keath), and after an arduous route getting there, involving large amounts of travel and extended periods in hotel quarantine, we uncharacteristically ran out of energy in the final quarter.

Sure the Melbourne forwards kicked plenty of goals but that was the natural end result of them beating us elsewhere, not because our defence simply wasn't good enough.

Generation West

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have not heard how JUH went in the VFL, but we were comfortably beaten so difficult to see him being exceptional, which is probably what he needed to get in rd 1.

Bevo mentioned in the presser that he was keen to hear how JUH played, so he is definitely in the mix. Also mentioned English as the no 1 ruckman, which I like.

Don’t think we play O’Brien rd 1 without a game and Martin I think is too much of a plodder now.

I would move Schache forward until JUH knocks the door down, Gardner in down back and Cordy as the swing man / ruck chop out.

Williams Keath Duryea
Dale Gardner Daniel
B. Smith McRae Hunter
Treloar Schache JJ
Weightman Naughton VDM

R: English Bont Dunkley
I/C Libba, Richards, Hannan, Cordy

Emerg: Crozier, R. Smith, JUH

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have we given up on Schache giving a chop out in the ruck. I know his performances have been poor but he has improved markedly in attack and in defence he has got harder. I am not talking about him winning taps but if we focus on him running and running he brings very different. Could wreck the guys progress so good reason not to but if you were a ruck and he could run forward and threaten and back and block you - few would be able to keep up. Look em in the eyes and run them into the ground.

Alternatives are Sweet and Martin - I think either is preferable but must bring something. Martin we know is on the downhill slope and will give us max 10 good games and we are OK with that but is not a threatening combination even with English improving.

Sweet has to watch Hudson and just bring mongrel - look at Soldos practice match today - he is plain mean - and it’s great. Sweet had that but seems to have lost it - you have a 10 year career in front of you with a team that needs you but you have to give more.

But if we are going for a makeshift then Cordy will compete and get around the ground - when in doubt go with the campaigner and that Cordy. Each time I do a team and leave him out because he isn’t great at anything I know it is a mistake.

TOB doesn’t sound like the answer if he isn’t going to play like a midfielder.

How’s that for sitting on the fence! Splinters firmly inserted…

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Crosier Keath Williams
Dale Schache Richards
B Smith Dunkley Macrae
Daniel Naughton JJ
Weightman Sweet Wallis

English Bont Treloar

Duryea Libba Hunter Cordy

Cordy is in over Gardner only due to his flexibility. As a pure defender Gardner has gone past him. O brien takes this place when fit
Our fwd line is disfunctional and WALLIS needs to play his old role again to take pressure Naughts. Wallis knows when and where to lead
VDM and Roarke out as they are big offenders in decisions making and turnovers. Hunter has some credits in the bank but his preseason form has been shocking
Crozier to play on Fritz and Ed on Pickett
Daniel to play High half forward so we have quality FWD entries

Back