Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton are taking a future 1st for their key forward? What the fu** bizarre timeline am I in?
Problem is that in this case North have all the leverage. They can just say "take this or we'll grab him in the PSD".

Problem is that in this case North have all the leverage. They can just say "take this or we'll grab him in the PSD".

Yeah, because history is littered with times breakout young Coleman medal winning key forwards have demanded to leave their club, ignored all other offers from every other club that would love a kf and sets his heart on going to the wooden spooners so much so he’s willing to go through the psd.

It’s complete fantasy material. I would sooner believe dragons and wizards exist. I’m baffled that people are arguing that this could happen.

Yeah, because history is littered with times breakout young Coleman medal winning key forwards have demanded to leave their club, ignored all other offers from every other club that would love a kf and sets his heart on going to the wooden spooners so much so he’s willing to go through the psd.

It’s complete fantasy material. I would sooner believe dragons and wizards exist. I’m baffled that people are arguing that this could happen.

It depends on whether youre arguing it could happen or that its likely to happen. Of course it could happen because theres no mechanism stopping it happening..but is it likely mckay will go to the wooden spooners at all let alone through the psd? Probably not.

Sure there's a piece of leverage there to use, but the player would have to want to go there.

It worked last year because Jackson Hately was a fringe player wanting to go back to his home state where he would get more playing opportunities. McKay is not a fringe player, wouldn't get any more opportunities at North than he does at Carlton, and wouldn't be going home. Plus Carlton has more chance of a finals campaign in the next few years than North does. I'm not sure why exactly he'd go theere.

Holmes - the player Geelong traded a 1st round pick to select, has played a few games. I'm not as impressed as some of our supporters. Athletic and can find the ball but seems allergic to contact. Hopeful when he puts on weight and that area of his game improves.

Odd trade cause he was mocked 3rd / 4th round or later by many people. Cats could've got him without offloading a first round, future pick. (?)

That said the clubs generally have a good idea what other clubs will do and maybe had some inside word.

I don't mind the trade for geelong cause they have such an old list. Makes sense to go all in

Odd trade cause he was mocked 3rd / 4th round or later by many people. Cats could've got him without offloading a first round, future pick. (?)

That said the clubs generally have a good idea what other clubs will do and maybe had some inside word.

I don't mind the trade for geelong cause they have such an old list. Makes sense to go all in

Honestly people underrate how well holmes has done in his couple of senior games this year considering his body is not ready. You can see the class in him. For what will turn out to be a pick around 15ish im quite happy with the trade. Win win for both clubs.

Honestly people underrate how well holmes has done in his couple of senior games this year considering his body is not ready. You can see the class in him. For what will turn out to be a pick around 15ish im quite happy with the trade. Win win for both clubs.

Apparently he was killing it in vfl so that's a good sign going forward

Apparently he was killing it in vfl so that's a good sign going forward

Hes been doing very well..no footy last year like most of the vic kids..basically hadnt played much anywhere except school footy..still built like a rake but was dominating vfl within his first 3 weeks..big effort for a kid who is physically underdeveloped. You can see the ceiling in him after 2-3 years to build the body as he has stacks of footy smarts. Probably wont play finals in the first 22 this year due to our depth but long term hes one im very confident about.

It worked last year because Jackson Hately was a fringe player wanting to go back to his home state where he would get more playing opportunities. McKay is not a fringe player, wouldn't get any more opportunities at North than he does at Carlton, and wouldn't be going home. Plus Carlton has more chance of a finals campaign in the next few years than North does. I'm not sure why exactly he'd go theere.

$$$

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Holmes himself was dead set of the view that he was going to Melbourne at pick 23. Was an open secret. Melbourne I think too thought he was just going to be a winger and would probably be parking him on a wing, which having seen him play you can see why he was being thought of as a later pick than that if you only saw him play on the outside. Seeing him play as a contested mid he looks a different player, just probably 15kgs too light for the position at the moment. Early days but by happy he was an appropriate selection for the pick given up.

Last edited:
Sure there's a piece of leverage there to use, but the player would have to want to go there.
Obviously the assumption was that he was interested in heading to North. FWIW I have a difficult time imagining him leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holmes himself was dead set of the view that he was going to Melbourne at pick 23. Was an open secret. Melbourne I think too thought he was just going to be a winger and would probably be parking him on a wing, which having seen him play you can see why he was being thought of as a later pick than that if you only saw him play on the outside. Seeing him play as a contested mid he looks a different player, just probably 15kgs too light for the position at the moment. Early days but by happy he was an appropriate selection for the pick given up.

Holmes looks like he's going to be a very good player, Cats did well to get him

Understand its early but I will kick the debate off with Marc McGowen's 2020 re-do.

Re-ranked top 10

1. Errol Gulden (32)
2. Riley Thilthorpe (2)
3. Tom Powell (13)
4. Jake Bowey (21)
5. Archie Perkins (9)
6. Lachie Bramble (SSP)
7. Nik Cox (8)
8. Josh Treacy (rookie)
9. James Rowe (38)
10. Caleb Poulter (30)

The toughest draft to re-rank because, in reality, it’s far too early to make a judgment. It was also hard to compare the seasons of players competing in teams of differing strength and opportunity. Bowey played one-third of Perkins’ games but was a genuine contributor for Melbourne and kept out more seasoned teammates to help win a flag. There are footballers who didn’t appear on the re-rank list – such as Grainger-Barras and Campbell – who looked promising but didn’t play enough. Gulden and Thilthorpe were the standouts, while Max Holmes was the unluckiest to miss out

Also difficult because plenty of kids were underdone coming into the season.

The same issues as the 2021 class will have.

This will change significantly in the next 12 months, should be interesting recapping 20’ and 21’ in the future though.

Showing my absolute bias, but if Chapman makes a successful move into the middle, he will be a generational player, if he doesnt, he'll play 250+ very good games and win a few AA's.

There is no one on our list Freo fans are more excited about

That whole draft in the first round you really couldn't miss. Looks a jet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back