AFLW Opposition Observation

Remove this Banner Ad

The news coming out of Princes Park last year about Tayla wasn't crash hot which was actually surprising as they were just shooting themselves in the foot by lowering her trade value. Lots of clubs ended up saying thanks but no thanks.

Hoskings are good pals with Tayla so I am sure Sarah would have been in Sheahan's ear but we said no. Spooked.

In the end Blues sent Tayla to the Dees plus pick 44 in exchange for pick 32. A steal.

Has been noticeably quieter off the field this year. Dees and Tayla have handled this well.
Think a lot of the lack of interest was also to do with the fact that everyone seems pretty certain she has a heads up agreement to head to one of the expansion teams for a packet. Remains to be seen if that is the case but you could understand a team not really in direct contention not wanting to upset the list plan to get her when she's going to be leaving after a season

Melbourne makes sense because even if they have her for just one year she could make the difference between winning and losing the flag

Think a lot of the lack of interest was also to do with the fact that everyone seems pretty certain she has a heads up agreement to head to one of the expansion teams for a packet. Remains to be seen if that is the case but you could understand a team not really in direct contention not wanting to upset the list plan to get her when she's going to be leaving after a season

Melbourne makes sense because even if they have her for just one year she could make the difference between winning and losing the flag
Fair points, she would have had to stand out a year though.

I think being team mates with Daisy at Melb when they were exhibition games was a big factor too.

How the F did St Kilda lose that game???

Just dumb footy. You would have thought St Kilda were behind and searching for that score to win.

Have the ball multiple times in the last two minutes and absolutely no sense to keep possession and run the clock down.

That’s on the potato they have as a coach.

it was also on the senior players on the ground, not just the coach, to make the slow play happen

Kate Shierlaw ragdolling a GWS player in the last few seconds just as Kat Smith was kicking into the fwd line 70 metres out didn't help
c88907e9c352308b7a8d773404d92df1.jpg

it was also on the senior players on the ground, not just the coach, to make the slow play happen

Absolutely but its not like there's an abundance of on field leadership at the Saints. It happened so often that it was clear there were no messages coming from the bench to hold play up. With 1.30 to go Tarni White marked it inside 50 and she played on within 2 seconds. At that stage you would think messages would have gone out to hold things up.

With 32 seconds to go Eva kicks it out on the full right in front of the bench. That should have been the ball game right there. You can see the boundary line, no one is madly gesturing to hold it up. The coach knows and the bench knows there's 30 seconds to go. There just doesn't seem any instruction at all. The camera goes to Dal Santo pretty much straight after Eva kicks it out and he's clearly not in communication with the bench. He just simply says "boundary" just like a fan sitting in the outer. (what he should have been saying is "hold it")

I am not sure who it was that kicked it in but she should have waited until the umpire called her to play on but, no, she took 2 seconds to kick it.

IMO Dal Santo is learning on the job which is fine if he is coaching St Kilda reserves, or some team in suburban footy but he is not he's in charge of a team in the premier women's competition. His players deserve better. He is a big reason why they sit stone motherless last with a 0-7 record and a percentage of 47.

Absolutely but its not like there's an abundance of on field leadership at the Saints. It happened so often that it was clear there were no messages coming from the bench to hold play up. With 1.30 to go Tarni White marked it inside 50 and she played on within 2 seconds. At that stage you would think messages would have gone out to hold things up.

With 32 seconds to go Eva kicks it out on the full right in front of the bench. That should have been the ball game right there. You can see the boundary line, no one is madly gesturing to hold it up. The coach knows and the bench knows there's 30 seconds to go. There just doesn't seem any instruction at all. The camera goes to Dal Santo pretty much straight after Eva kicks it out and he's clearly not in communication with the bench. He just simply says "boundary" just like a fan sitting in the outer. (what he should have been saying is "hold it")

I am not sure who it was that kicked it in but she should have waited until the umpire called her to play on but, no, she took 2 seconds to kick it.

IMO Dal Santo is learning on the job which is fine if he is coaching St Kilda reserves, or some team in suburban footy but he is not he's in charge of a team in the premier women's competition. His players deserve better. He is a big reason why they sit stone motherless last with a 0-7 record and a percentage of 47.
Just talks the talk young NickyDS

Melbourne are moving the ball as well as I’ve seen any side move it in any season of AFLW.

Thought the crows of a couple of years ago were fantastic but this Melbourne side is better. Quick, tall, and skilful

Blues star, Magpies pair reportedly in sights of expansion clubs​

The four arriving AFLW clubs are sure to make waves this off-season.​

MITCH KEATING
MARCH 5, 2020

Carlton gun Madison Prespakis and Collingwood pair Sarah Rowe and Jaimee Lambert are understood to be on the radar of expansion sides that are set to cause waves this upcoming off-season for the AFLW.

Prespakis has been among the Blues' most valued players since arriving at the club as the third overall selection in the 2018 National Draft. Having claimed the AFLW best and fairest two years later, Prespakis has amassed a decorated record across her 32 appearances in the navy blue, averaging 20.8 disposals, 10.6 contested possessions and over 250 metres gained per match.

Prespakis' dominance in Carlton's midfield has placed the 21-year-old as a coveted target for Essendon ahead of their inaugural season in the AFLW.

The Bombers will enter the seventh campaign of the AFLW next season, with CODE's Daniel Cherny reporting the Tullamarine club are already looking to lure Prespakis to Bomberland this off-season.

An Essendon fan growing up, Prespakis could be lured to the red and black after just four seasons at Princes Park.

It is understood that Prespakis is yet to disclose her intentions for the future with Carlton, with her potential departure another major loss for the Blues.

Across their six seasons in the AFLW, Carlton have bid farewell to key names in Bri Davey, Hosking sisters Jess and Sarah, Tayla Harris, Chloe Dalton, Alison Downie, Tilly Lucas-Rodd and Kate Shierlaw in years gone by.

The Blues aren't the only club feeling the heat from potential advances from expansion sides, with Sydney understood to be eyeing Irish Magpie Sarah Rowe.

Rowe has been a mainstay in Collingwood's midfield in recent seasons, with the 26-year-old enjoying a stellar 2022 season.

The Magpies are also set to be in a tussle with incoming club Hawthorn for the services of star veteran Jaimee Lambert, according to Cherny's report.

The Hawks are believed to be keeping tabs on both Lambert and Giant Rebecca Beeson, with the latter having been a member of the Hawks' VFLW system in the past.

The Bombers, Hawks, Swans and Port Adelaide will all join the AFLW next season to form an 18-team league, in line with their male counterparts.

The Power are anticipated to place strong attention toward local talent, with current Adelaide players sure to be of interest, with non-moreso than Erin Phillips.

Phillips, the daughter of club great Greg, has been long linked to Alberton since the club's inception.

The 2022 AFLW home and away season will conclude next week, with Carlton among the clubs narrowly within the finals picture.

Mitch must be a Blues fan as I reckon I have more of a chance of playing AFLW finals than Carlton.

And there I was thinking you were really Sarah Perkins......... I was so wrong ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's everyone make of the improvement across the other teams in the comp?

The foundation team clearly have some advantage. Maybe time spent together. Maybe it's their programs maturing. Maybe getting their core list sorted early, and recruiting for need, rather than just having to take the best available talent. Not sure.

Out of the current top 6, it's only North who've caught the foundation teams. IMO, plenty of that comes down to the list build - targeting height and inside mids, then building around that. Gotta give kudos to their program, too. They seem to improve every year.

Then there's the middle pack - Bulldogs, GWS and Carlton. Not so sure about GWS, but the Dogs and Blues have lost enough top-end talent - especially KPP and inside mids - to explain why.

So is it marking players and inside mids that make the most difference?

What's everyone make of the improvement across the other teams in the comp?

The foundation team clearly have some advantage. Maybe time spent together. Maybe it's their programs maturing. Maybe getting their core list sorted early, and recruiting for need, rather than just having to take the best available talent. Not sure.

Out of the current top 6, it's only North who've caught the foundation teams. IMO, plenty of that comes down to the list build - targeting height and inside mids, then building around that. Gotta give kudos to their program, too. They seem to improve every year.

Then there's the middle pack - Bulldogs, GWS and Carlton. Not so sure about GWS, but the Dogs and Blues have lost enough top-end talent - especially KPP and inside mids - to explain why.

Mids definitely, i mean quality ball users by hand & foot
can't have too many ball getting mids IMO, all the top 6 sides have them

Conti x 2 or 3, would help get the I50 to 35 -40/game at a minimum, would be huge for us

I know its the way the cookie crumbles sometimes but having so many potentially one sided games in the last round of the season between finals bound teams and those out of the top 6 would not be what the AFL would have been hoping for.

MAR 11. 2022.

History made: Former Roo to become Bombers' first AFLW player​

VW03EsHa21MKP288716554.jpg

GEORGIA Nanscawen is set to be signed by Essendon as the club's inaugural AFLW player.

I was hoping we might have picked up Georgia in the draft last year. Been absolutely killing it in the VFLW over the last couple of years. She didn't nominate. Now we know why.

Just a quick question about the commentators during AFLW matches. I turned on the TV and Crows vs Kangas game on, are the commentators watching a different game than they are showing. Coming out with lines like "She put her body on the line to take that mark!", what??. The girl marked it on her chest in front of an opposition player, then "She's flying out of defense!". Again the girl was in the clear when the ball bounced into her hands and she kicked it.

Are they being paid or ordered by the AFL to try an liven up the game and make it more exciting because it's laughable at how out of touch the comments are.

Just a quick question about the commentators during AFLW matches. I turned on the TV and Crows vs Kangas game on, are the commentators watching a different game than they are showing. Coming out with lines like "She put her body on the line to take that mark!", what??. The girl marked it on her chest in front of an opposition player, then "She's flying out of defense!". Again the girl was in the clear when the ball bounced into her hands and she kicked it.

Are they being paid or ordered by the AFL to try an liven up the game and make it more exciting because it's laughable at how out of touch the comments are.

You couldn't make that s**t up

Just heard from my daughter, she has some friends over for a footy pie day with all girls that play or have played footy together over last 5 years. 10 girls all love footy always getting harassed for AFL tickets but cos I'm MCC not easy to get many. When was their coach we had free season tickets 4 AFLW Bulldogs and could get Tigers tickets also. Couldn't bribe them to go. Just found out the game at half time is 1point v 3 points. They turned it off and are watching 89 grand final. Their own target audience has no interest. Doomed to fail. Lucky to get paid $20 each. Unwatchable.

Just heard from my daughter, she has some friends over for a footy pie day with all girls that play or have played footy together over last 5 years. 10 girls all love footy always getting harassed for AFL tickets but cos I'm MCC not easy to get many. When was their coach we had free season tickets 4 AFLW Bulldogs and could get Tigers tickets also. Couldn't bribe them to go. Just found out the game at half time is 1point v 3 points. They turned it off and are watching 89 grand final. Their own target audience has no interest. Doomed to fail. Lucky to get paid $20 each. Unwatchable.
You do understand how this story is actually a win for the all AFLW right. With no AFLW do you think your daughter would have ten friends who have all played footy?

Reality is before the AFLW they would have maybe played with the boys for a little while and then would have aged out. It’s only because of the AFLW that the pathways and leagues exist for them to play in

Plus it means as we get on in years and all the players are those who have played from juniors through the advanced programs the quality will only get better and better

What you just said was a living advertisement for the AFLW working and you’re too stupid to realise

You do understand how this story is actually a win for the all AFLW right. With no AFLW do you think your daughter would have ten friends who have all played footy?

Reality is before the AFLW they would have maybe played with the boys for a little while and then would have aged out. It’s only because of the AFLW that the pathways and leagues exist for them to play in

Plus it means as we get on in years and all the players are those who have played from juniors through the advanced programs the quality will only get better and better

What you just said was a living advertisement for the AFLW working and you’re too stupid to realise

Gotta love the confidence (or stupidity) of someone who thinks they can break down 5 years of something they know nothing about and claim that as a win. Here's a little breakdown. There was actually 9 girls (10 including my kid). Only 3 still play. Yes all would've played footy as majority did Auskick, main reason being majority of the dads i played footy with/ grew up with planned it as stuffed if we can teach netball never watched it or played it. The rest were either school friends or friends of friends. I coached them for 2 years. 2 of the girls barely touched the ball/ were too busy doing fortnight/ tictoc dances & cartwheels. Now that they're older they confessed had zero interest in being there only wanted to hang out with their friends. The best player who won a league best and fairest is lost to the game because last season she was smexually harassed on the field every other week by rainbow flag waving opponents, she's a good looking girl, great kid was completely disgraceful to have to put up with that, endless complaints went nowhere. Her Dad told me this led to self-harming, so she now hates playing and will never go back. Im out of my depth with stuff like that and don't know what I would've done if I was still coach. (Dermie voiced concerns about things like that years ago was torn to shreds, you've only got to look at the cess pit that's the Matilda's team to see it's rife, that also was hushed up) Majority of the rest chucked it in as got other interests, school, boys, too soft, would rather watch AFL, friends left you name it.
If you think an organised event (3 girls barrack for Cats & Pies) having the pin pulled at 1/2 time to watch a game from 33 years ago they knew the result to then your delusional/ stupid. If you think not being able to give away FREE tickets for AFLW as opposed to having to shout AFL tickets when $$$'s are tighter than ever thanks to inflation you clearly are stupid. Spoke to my daughter and her mate who's sleeping over if they'll support/ watch AFLW. If i wrote their responses I'd get banned. That's their target audience!!!!

winning charlie sheen GIF

Last edited:
Gotta love the confidence (or stupidity) of someone who thinks they can break down 5 years of something they know nothing about and claim that as a win. Here's a little breakdown. There was actually 9 girls (10 including my kid). Only 3 still play. Yes all would've played footy as majority did Auskick, main reason being majority of the dads i played footy with/ grew up with planned it as stuffed if we can teach netball never watched it or played it. The rest were either school friends or friends of friends. I coached them for 2 years. 2 of the girls barely touched the ball/ were too busy doing fortnight/ tictoc dances & cartwheels. Now that they're older they confessed had zero interest in being there only wanted to hang out with their friends. The best player who won a league best and fairest is lost to the game because last season she was smexually harassed on the field every other week by rainbow flag waving opponents, she's a good looking girl, great kid was completely disgraceful to have to put up with that, endless complaints went nowhere. Her Dad told me this led to self-harming, so she now hates playing and will never go back. Im out of my depth with stuff like that and don't know what I would've done if I was still coach. (Dermie voiced concerns about things like that years ago was torn to shreds, you've only got to look at the cess pit that's the Matilda's team to see it's rife, that also was hushed up) Majority of the rest chucked it in as got other interests, school, boys, too soft, would rather watch AFL, friends left you name it.
If you think an organised event (3 girls barrack for Cats & Pies) having the pin pulled at 1/2 time to watch a game from 33 years ago they knew the result to then your delusional/ stupid. If you think not being able to give away FREE tickets for AFLW as opposed to having to shout AFL tickets when $$$'s are tighter than ever thanks to inflation you clearly are stupid. Spoke to my daughter and her mate who's sleeping over if they'll support/ watch AFLW. If i wrote their responses I'd get banned. That's their target audience!!!!

winning charlie sheen GIF
I meant them playing was a sign of winning not them watching the game

Honestly I stand by that. The experiences of your friends daughter are obviously abhorrent and you’d hope they had the systems in place to investigate it properly

You had a couple of girls that admitted they never would have played at all without their friends playing (that only happens because of girls teams) and one who was obviously very highly skilled. That’s the same story that plays out in junior footy for boys but there’s just never been a way for girls to do it

Here's an idea to make the women's game better, if they take a mark they get a 15 metre gain, in other words the woman on the mark moves back fifteen metres. This would make up for the lack of kicking distance that they have and encourage players to lead more and get on their own, wouldn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back