Preview Round 1 2022 - Adelaide vs Fremantle, March 20, 2022

How many wins for the Crows in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our game plan involves trying to turn it into a contested battle and then winning that to nullify outside runners. It will be an interesting battle. If your ruckmen can get right on top of ours it will be a good help to overcoming our strategy. Who will be your ruckman/men and what sort of form are they in?

We also often put an extra at the contest rather than down in defense, in good weather and good conditions its often helpful for our system but if not the oppositions extra in our forward line will often have a field day.
Darcy will ruck supported by Lobb.

Darcy has only played the one preseason game and wasn't great. But I expect him to be fine.

Lobb is ordinary at his best. He did cop an injury in the aami game but should be fine. If he isn't, Meek has had a good preseason and will play, but is not really a forward/ruck. He is more an alternative to Darcy.

Gun Adelaide recruit Jordan Dawson is still not in full training for the Crows with just under two weeks away from Round 1.
Dawson missed the Community Series loss to Port Adelaide on Saturday with calf soreness after he was unavailable for the Crows practice match defeat at the hands of Brisbane because of Covid-19 protocols.

The Crows have said they are expecting Dawson to be in contention for Round 1 against Fremantle at Adelaide Oval on Sunday week.

But at Crows training on Tuesday Dawson was away from the main group.

Along with Shane McAdam (abductor injury) Dawson did mostly running with a small bit of kicking at West Lakes.

None of the running by the ex-Sydney Swan was at sprint pace.

Luke Pedlar looks to have avoided a hamstring injury after there were concerns he had suffered one against the Power.

Pedlar completed a decent block of running and was also kicking in a good sign for the young midfielder.

Mitch Hinge and Riley Thilthorpe did not train but both are expected to be in the mix for Round 1.

Thilthorpe was absent with a non-Covid illness, while Hinge watched training from the sidelines.

Hinge received a knock to his AC joint against the Power, the shoulder he dislocated on multiple occasions in 2021.

He will rejoin training next week with the Crows to be careful with him.

Rory Laird watched on after he broke his hand against the Power.

Still significantly swollen the hand will not be operated on meaning Laird could be out for up to six weeks.

The Crows were split into AFL and SANFL sides for the main drill of the session, largely reflecting their selections from the weekend.

This meant Lachlan Gollant continued to train with the senior side, along with draftee Jake Soligo.

With Laird absent the midfielders in the AFL group were Rory Sloane, Ben Keays, Matt Crouch and Harry Schoenberg.

Tall midfielder Jackson Hately, who had a strong game for the SANFL side on the weekend, did some work with Reilly O’Brien and Kieran Strachan around hit-outs at the end of the session.

Enjoyed reading your comments on this match.

I am hoping the Dockers tall forwards in Tabener and Lobb can get advantage over your young key defenders. Any thoughts on this?

Sorry for the intrusion to your board but I was hoping someone can tell me where Milera is at?
Three weeks ago, he was said to be 100% fit yet he didn't play in either of your practice matches.
He's an important member of my DT squad but only if he plays round 1. Is that likely?

Sorry for the intrusion to your board but I was hoping someone can tell me where Milera is at?
Three weeks ago, he was said to be 100% fit yet he didn't play in either of your practice matches.
He's an important member of my DT squad but only if he plays round 1. Is that likely?
Played SANFL trial to ease him back into competitive matches. Doubt he plays rd 1.

I'm hoping Ned McHenry gets a chance on the ball in round 1. Follow Serong around and make life difficult for him.
Sloane on Fyfe, Crouch on Brayshaw.

Work our asses off and use the ball well, we're a sneaky chance of stealing the points in this one.
Hopefully the cobwebs are shook off now and we can hit some targets inside 50.

Enjoyed reading your comments on this match.

I am hoping the Dockers tall forwards in Tabener and Lobb can get advantage over your young key defenders. Any thoughts on this?

To be honest - it worries me.

I feel like Butts is a good matchup for Tabener, but we lack true size if we don't go with Big Bad Billy Frampton.

If we choose to just go in with Butts (198cm) and Murray (193cm) - Freo would be silly not to try and isolate whoever Murray is on 1 on 1. At this stage I don't think Murray is good enough to go with Tabs and will get absolutely monstered if he goes to Lobb.

I was at the match and Sholl looked quite good imho. We essentially rotated three wingmen;
Sholl 21 disposals, 317 metres gained, 90% ToG
Hinge 12 disposals, 132 metres gained, 79% ToG
Soligo 9 disposals, 130 metres gained
66% ToG

Sholl didn’t do anything outstanding but made a solid contribution. I think we will need his running power against Freo. Soligo needs to build his tank but has made an excellent start to his career.
Sholl deserves a round 1 wing spot

Hopefully we can use Dawson and Hinge on the other with Dawson also some centre square time

To be honest - it worries me.

I feel like Butts is a good matchup for Tabener, but we lack true size if we don't go with Big Bad Billy Frampton.

If we choose to just go in with Butts (198cm) and Murray (193cm) - Freo would be silly not to try and isolate whoever Murray is on 1 on 1. At this stage I don't think Murray is good enough to go with Tabs and will get absolutely monstered if he goes to Lobb.
I’m sort of the opposite , Taberner running patterns would really test Murray as well as his ability overhead but he’s a really good runner for his size

Presuming Doedee is fit and playing close to his best his support around Murray on Lobb could be enough to get job done there

Overall I think Taberner has developed and is more dangerous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My final team prediction before round 1:

Unavailable: Walker, Seedsman, Murphy, Laird.

B: Jones Butts Brown
B: Doedee Murray Smith
M: Sholl Keays Dawson
F: McHenry FOG Sloane
F: Rachelle Thilthorpe McAdam
R: Obrien Schoenberg Crouch

I/C: Milera, Berry, Mcpherson, Hinge

Emergency: Frampton, Rowe, Cook, Soligo, Hamill, Gollant, Himmelburg.

There is a good chance we go with Frampton over Milera in my opinion. If we want to give Milera another game in the 2's and are worried about Freo's talls.
Can’t see Milera playing until he knocks the door down at sanfl level and fair enough too - could take 3-6 weeks

Hinge , Sholl and even Hamill , Soligo in front just for now

Twitter poster Vardy magic posting some interesting thoughts on full scale match sim this morn

Dawson running laps with Laird

Milera has hit 2x I50 targets for B team , Cook also playing well for B

Schoey playing well

Gollant best performed tall forward for A team

Rachele clean as per

Mcasey struggling , ditto Worrall . Both B team

Hately getting plenty of it ( not sure which team ) but would have to be firming as a chance next week

Mchenry / hinge rested

Sholl deserves a round 1 wing spot

Hopefully we can use Dawson and Hinge on the other with Dawson also some centre square time
Soligo may also be in contention if we we want to use Dawson more through the middle too.

Twitter poster Vardy magic posting some interesting thoughts on full scale match sim this morn

Schoey playing well

Rachele clean as per

Hately getting plenty of it ( not sure which team ) but would have to be firming as a chance next week

Mchenry / hinge rested
With McAdam looking doubtful, surely we play Gollant. If we only pick 2 talls (ie. no Himmelberg), then Cook may come into contention too. Can use him forward/off a wing which may be handy given the injury issues with our wingmen. May be Cook v Soligo.

Imagine Berry may still keep Hately out, but good to see Hately is finally putting in some good performances as think we will need him this year.

I think they should give Hately a run with Laird out.

Five week block of games in the middle.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Like many in here, I am finding it increasingly difficult to defend Jackson, so its probably not the worst idea to give him a block of games in the position he was drafted.

To either confirm him as a career B grader, or give us a nice surprise option to go forward with.

I've been wrong before, and I'd be very happy to be wrong again if Jacko can start to show something

Schoey playing well

Rachele clean as per

Mchenry / hinge rested
Gollant is such an enigma.

Any word on if Seedsman will be placed on the long term injury list?

Not really any point now the SSP period has finished. No longer needed to allow a rookie to play.

We’ll do it closer to the mid-season draft if he still isn’t able to fully train & play.

Back