The AFL reliance on sports gambling (Age Article)

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

Interesting article although not surprising. It seems like all the stake holders have their snouts in the trough.

I remember when it wasn’t a big thing.
You could see head to head odds and a few other markets, but the biggest thing for most people for the office/pub footy tipping.

For me I’d be happy if the AFL/clubs forgo any income from spots gambling, as the article states it survived the ban on alcohol advising.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
D26BB5EA-72EF-46F6-8210-FC5D9494356E.png

Wonder how much BigFooty rakes in ? #Chief

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I don’t understand why people care

It doesn’t bother me too much I’ll have the occasional flutter on a game or a horse race during the spring carnival that it. But it’s the generation that have grown up with the constant bombardment of gambling advertising, it has become engrained in their brains that sports = gambling

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Also pretty (extremely/unfathomably) hypocritical of the AFL to take in this sort of money through gambling companies and then lecture club's for owning pokies and demanding they remove themselves from it costing them significant revenue streams. Do as I say not as I do 😡

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You must be living under a rock.
I don’t gamble but there is reason gambling forks out so much money on ads because it influences people.
Gambling destroys people marriages families just like grog and drugs.
It’s fine for it to be legal for people who seek it but it shouldn’t be rammed down our throats.

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
It's been depressing to see it shoved in our face every footy season, now even the American sports I follow are starting to get into gambling as well due to states starting to legalise it. Can't get away from it.

Should alcohol ads be banned as well?

Why is this framed as some gotcha? I think people are all for further bans and restrictions, considering they already have restrictions on when they can air and no-one cares. When half the clubs own their own breweries it might be as relevant an issue.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
It's more the hypocrisy when compared to pokie money that shits me. Plenty of the media ran a agenda for years that has eventually forced most clubs to give up the pokie money. Yet these same people are paid off the back of sports betting money. I suppose sports betting isn't really a social problem like pokies. It's not like people can gamble from the luxury of there living room while watching the game.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should alcohol ads be banned as well?
Yes and they will in time but You don’t see cub advertise free beer to download an app where you can access beer 24/7.
That shits like ciggy company advertising health benefits of there ciggys in the 50s.
Free money free bet gimmick is awful.
Start a betting group with mates get credit.
Throw up the odds some can sprout a multi once a day but the line is being pushed until there’s change.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
They should ban corporate bookies and just have exchange markets where punters bet against each other and only lose 1% instead of 10% to 25%.
There should not be advertising on the supercoach website, that is a complete joke and ban gambling advertising altogether.

It is a fair point you make AP, if exchanges did what they purport to do, but they are full of traps.

Most will find it is significantly easier to win from a corporate bookmaker than the BF exchange. Or they will lose at a slower rate.

You are up against very sharp operators on the exchange and if you ever manage to win consistently the exchanges will charge you exorbitantly. And then there are all the usual things you get if you win consistently, like having insiders front run you and so on.

I think the bookies should have to include their average market margin in advertising as a bare minimum, but overall I would agree that it is better if they are just not allowed to advertise at all.

And that is coming from a person who makes most of his meagre living from betting on sports.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
It is a fair point you make AP, if exchanges did what they purport to do, but they are full of traps.

Most will find it is significantly easier to win from a corporate bookmaker than the BF exchange. Or they will lose at a slower rate.

You are up against very sharp operators on the exchange and if you ever manage to win consistently the exchanges will charge you exorbitantly. And then there are all the usual things you get if you win consistently, like having insiders front run you and so on.

I think the bookies should have to include their average market margin in advertising as a bare minimum, but overall I would agree that it is better if they are just not allowed to advertise at all.

And that is coming from a person who makes most of his meagre living from betting on sports.
You almost always get better odds on betfair and others eg look at AfL markets

Back