AFLW Collingwood v Richmond Saturday March 12, 3.10 pm Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game and paid particular attention to our forward structure. The fluency and connection between mids to forwards is putrid, especially without Brennan. Nobody leads to a spot.

Without Lavey we don't have runners. You could see Collingwood had so much pace through the corridor; when we had run off turnover the ball carrier had to stop and prop rather than hit up an option.

Umpires were despicable but what else is new.
Collingwood’s team have been longer in the system than ours ,we will get there in time.

Yes I agree. Out of all our games, we’ve only won the disposal count 2 times this year (against the current bottom 2 in West Coast and St Kilda). Losing the disposal count can be irrelevant if you’re winning the territory battle, but we only won the inside 50s count 3 times this season. We also only won contested possessions twice this year and clearances 4 times. If you add all of this together, then it’s spelling a really ugly picture about our midfield.

We just don’t have enough players that can actually get and retain possession unfortunately. Needs an overhaul.

that bad, wow

yep midfield, what to do?
probably not the year to cut/overhaul too deep as expansion sides have the upper hand
maybe have to keep a few deadwoods until next year, sigh

Collingwood’s team have been longer in the system than ours ,we will get there in time.
The problem is that the top 6 sides (Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, North Melbourne, Collingwood, and Fremantle) are also improving. They’re almost in a league of their own right now and I don’t see it changing anytime soon unless the next expansion sides take from their top-end talent in the way that Carlton and Bulldogs were taken from when North, Geelong, Richmond, St Kilda, Gold Coast, and West Coast came into the competition.

Even then, it’s no guarantee (e.g. Brisbane being a top team after they were heavily affected by the entrance of the expansion sides). I guess the VFL/AFL kinda was similar to this in it’s early days as well.

The problem is that the top 6 sides (Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, North Melbourne, Collingwood, and Fremantle) are also improving. They’re almost in a league of their own right now and I don’t see it changing anytime soon unless the next expansion sides take from their top-end talent in the way that Carlton and Bulldogs were taken from when North, Geelong, Richmond, St Kilda, Gold Coast, and West Coast came into the competition.

Even then, it’s no guarantee (e.g. Brisbane being a top team after they were heavily affected by the entrance of the expansion sides). I guess the VFL/AFL kinda was similar to this in it’s early days as well.
The AFL took a long time to grant us a Women’s team license.

no it wont change any time soon, ball movement and team synergy and everyone on the same page is what makes these top 6 teams light years ahead of the rest

but the worst part of AFLW is the gap between top 5 to bottom 5 players of each team
case in point Fremantle getting demolished by Melbourne when they had 5 of their better players out

i shudder to think what the result would have been if we played Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane or North Melbourne this game
it would have been a massacre

Feel like I need a flak jacket on , two early picks in molan and Reid are nowhere bloody near it , Reid you’d hang in HOPE , she’s shown nothing that inspires , looks sh*t scared to me and development in W is a lottery

Yassir has developed faster than i or maybe even RFC thought, to AFLW speed, got a ripper here, maybe midfield next season, has the pace and ball getting potential
Reid and Houtsma are a slow burn, just get VFLW games into them, play against bigger mature bodies = confidence
Kiely is a tick and will be better next season

but redrafting Mukur-Chuot when we could of given someone else a shot
Tara Bohanna is one that i wonder what did GC see, that we missed?
perfect Wakefield replacement

maybe we needed a club woman , culture person more??????

Yassir has developed faster than i or maybe even RFC thought, to AFLW speed, got a ripper here, maybe midfield next season, has the pace and ball getting potential
Reid and Houtsma are a slow burn, just get VFLW games into them, play against bigger mature bodies = confidence

Yea not sure what was the motivation in redrafting akec , I put her in same bracket as Jacques and dargan, way off the std required , fumbles, overruns the ball time after time

Was at the game and paid particular attention to our forward structure. The fluency and connection between mids to forwards is putrid, especially without Brennan. Nobody leads to a spot.

Without Lavey we don't have runners. You could see Collingwood had so much pace through the corridor; when we had run off turnover the ball carrier had to stop and prop rather than hit up an option.

Umpires were despicable but what else is new.
Do our players connect enough by voice - I'm not so much worried about calling for the ball, but we caught so much with the ball after 4 to 6 steps sometimes that I truly doubt we have much talk on the field??????

Glad I had to be somewhere else half way through the 2nd... wasn't a great watch even at 2.6x speed haha. Oh well, that's 2022 done. Move on and try to get rid of some bad skills or badly skilled players and try again.
Did 2.6x make Molan normal speed?

Yes I agree. Out of all our games, we’ve only won the disposal count 2 times this year (against the current bottom 2 in West Coast and St Kilda). Losing the disposal count can be irrelevant if you’re winning the territory battle, but we only won the inside 50s count 3 times this season. We also only won contested possessions twice this year and clearances 4 times. If you add all of this together, then it’s spelling a really ugly picture about our midfield.

We just don’t have enough players that can actually get and retain possession unfortunately. Needs an overhaul.

Yeah, largely speaking our chains are woeful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the game. Conti is an absolute warrior, hope we keep her. A level above. We had a few girls out and we battled but there was just not enough around the forward area to threat. Collingwood girls looked sharper and a few steps ahead. We're still a few seasons away.

Frederick does my absolute head in. Pies will realise she's the next coming of Tyrone Vickery soon enough.

I don't mind claiming I wanted Yassir at our 1st Round Pick when all the discussion was up - felt she was easily best 5-6 in the comp. So happy she dropped to our next pick because I would have been grumpy to miss getting her when so much seemed to be riding on Stahl as a small fwd. The tenacity has always been amazing with her, has good skills and will develop a tank. She plays a lot taller.

Reid and Houtsma - what I said in the Port game thread.

You gotta have Kiely - she mixes it up - let's oppo's know she is about, would love a skill upgrade over the pre-season, but she is far from the worst. Amazing we missed Bohanna really - the closest thing the Wakefield going around really. I won't claim it though.

Please, please, please cut Sheahan free:

I'll never forget this comment from her in her first year with us:

1647072455939.png

Last edited:
no it wont change any time soon, ball movement and team synergy and everyone on the same page is what makes these top 6 teams light years ahead of the rest

but the worst part of AFLW is the gap between top 5 to bottom 5 players of each team
case in point Fremantle getting demolished by Melbourne when they had 5 of their better players out

i shudder to think what the result would have been if we played Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane or North Melbourne this game
it would have been a massacre
Yes that’s true, it’s quite a distinction between the top and bottom players of a team’s best side. I’m so glad they swapped out Brisbane for Collingwood in Round 10

Do our players connect enough by voice - I'm not so much worried about calling for the ball, but we caught so much with the ball after 4 to 6 steps sometimes that I truly doubt we have much talk on the field??????

i think our coach Ryan Ferguson will explain it better than i can for you

"I thought we wanted to fight, we wanted to work, and that was outstanding, to be honest, but we were outclassed."

"Even with what we had out there, we didn't take our moments."

"They taught us a lesson in the fundamentals of the game – absorbing pressure and tackles, we had a lot of holding-the-ball free kicks against us because we coughed the ball up." – Richmond coach Ryan Ferguson

i think our coach Ryan Ferguson will explain it better than i can for you

"I thought we wanted to fight, we wanted to work, and that was outstanding, to be honest, but we were outclassed."

"Even with what we had out there, we didn't take our moments."

"They taught us a lesson in the fundamentals of the game – absorbing pressure and tackles, we had a lot of holding-the-ball free kicks against us because we coughed the ball up." – Richmond coach Ryan Ferguson
Doesn't say why we did cough the ball up- it's not enough to say "don't cough the ball up". It's usually a lack of awareness of the space you are in, or not enough communication - it's probably both. Our players often seem surprised they coughed the ball up.

I think what needs to be done, is teams keep 10 best players, then the remainder of players go into a pool. Where all teams get to re draft. This at least gives teams more chance of an even playing field across the board. Otherwise I cant see us having any chance in the next 5-10 years in the AFLW.

We’ve been in the system for awhile now. It’s on us to get the AFLW program right.

That umpiring had to be seen to be believed it was so one sided I stopped caring. That being said our team performance is embarrassing and the skill level just terrible. Thank god it’s over.

We’ve been in the system for awhile now. It’s on us to get the AFLW program right.
I think we missed out at the start of our initial build with poor decisions & poor selections. The hard part of that, is there will be 2 or more years of compromised drafts ahead. Where the AFL will prop up newer teams & the likes of GWS & Suns. As I see the Tigers will struggle with the fact that the top 6 have a huge advantage over the rest of the other teams with there depth now. So we will not be able to get enough good players in & others might decide to go another team that have a better chance of playing finals.

I think we missed out at the start of our initial build with poor decisions & poor selections. The hard part of that, is there will be 2 or more years of compromised drafts ahead. Where the AFL will prop up newer teams & the likes of GWS & Suns. As I see the Tigers will struggle with the fact that the top 6 have a huge advantage over the rest of the other teams with there depth now. So we will not be able to get enough good players in & others might decide to go another team that have a better chance of playing finals.
Hmm coll werent great from the get go , can’t just use this as an excuse.all the time I don’t think we re coming from a mile back , our % is best of sides outside the finals which is a barometer for competitiveness . Gonna be so hard to climb though ,,,the gap be vfl to W is enormous, Kiely and McDonald two examples , dominate at vfl with 20+ games and battle at W with < 10 with limited scope for improvement
I’d turn over the resources that support the team in terms of recruiting and development, recruiting in particular from the draft , trades have been very good , draft , s**t

That umpiring had to be seen to be believed it was so one sided I stopped caring. That being said our team performance is embarrassing and the skill level just terrible. Thank god it’s over.
Became hard to watch last few games , we looked way off the level at times , this game didn’t help missing 5 of our best 8-9 players . Our best hope is that we keep who we want and trade in another 2-3 solid senior players , good luck with haw and Ess list build being a free for all

Hmm coll werent great from the get go , can’t just use this as an excuse.all the time I don’t think we re coming from a mile back , our % is best of sides outside the finals which is a barometer for competitiveness . Gonna be so hard to climb though ,,,the gap be vfl to W is enormous, Kiely and McDonald two examples , dominate at vfl with 20+ games and battle at W with < 10 with limited scope for improvement
I’d turn over the resources that support the team in terms of recruiting and development, recruiting in particular from the draft , trades have been very good , draft , sh*t
Agree with much of that - that's where Ferg has been good publicly - rarely, if ever, throws up excuses. We were coming from a mile back, but made huge ground this season - pretty unlucky with some injuries. So we are not a mile behind now - WC, Stkilda are. Really have to get another A-grade mid, and an ultra competitive mid sized forward who can get up and back. Get those and draft better and we can bridge that gap in 2-3 years perhaps.

Cannot afford to lose any of Brennan, Seymour, Conti, McKenzie, Miller and Yassir. Others are important too, but you would think if we lost any one of them, getting a replacement with any compensation might well be possible. Lose any of those six and I doubt we can replace them with any compensation in the short term.

As to the support staff, unfortunately the person who makes that call is the one that needs to go first in my humble opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back