Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 - Premiers; Got the Trophy, cop that AFL House 🖕🏼

Remove this Banner Ad

With us now halfway through the season, I thought I'd do a quick review of how our squad is going so far. I'll give each of them a rating out of 10, as well as either a -, = or + to indicate whether they've slipped backwards, held their form or gone forward based on previous years - obviously, I will skip that for first-year players. I'd be fascinated to hear any of your thoughts or differences of opinion.

#1 Caitlin Gould (6+) - Gould has continued her slow but steady rise to stamp herself as our lead ruck. Her actual ruckwork is passable without being a standout, but she's handy around the ground and has slotted a couple of goals in her four games so far.

#2 Eloise Jones (8+) - Jones is having an excellent season, having almost entirely cut out the brainfades without sacrificing any of the hardness of her game. She is using her pace excellently and has significantly increased her disposal count this year, up to an average of 14.2 (compared to 8.9 last year and around 8.0 for her entire career).

#4 Zoe Prowse (??) - Unfortunately Prowse hasn't been able to find a place in our side yet. By all reports she is performing well at SANFLW level. Hopefully she will get a taste soon.

#5 Rachelle Martin (7.5+) - Martin has now stamped her place in our engine room, seemingly only rotating out when Phillips comes in. She doesn't get a load of ball, but is a tackling and pressure machine in there. Also, in a midfield which can be one-paced at times, her pace is very important.

#6 Hannah Button (5-) - The emergence of some other young mids has probably seen Button go from being an automatic selection to a fringe player in the side, but so far she has held her place. She will probably need to develop another string to her bow if she wants to solidify her place in the side - up forward seems the best opportunity.

#7 Nikki Gore (6-) - Gore was probably our most improved player last year before her injury. This year she has been servicable and has flashes, but hasn't put it together as consistently as in 2021.

#8 Najwa Allen (6=) - Allen in 2022 seems very much like Allen in 2021, a clever player who reads the play very well, but is hampered somewhat by lack of pace. She's at her best in a contest when the ball is bobbling about.

#9 McKenzie Dowrick (??) - Was brought in to cover Varnhagen, but I've not heard a single thing about her since she arrived. Any word on her performances in SANFLW?

#10 Ebony Marinoff (9=) - Marinoff just keeps on racking up possessions, laying tackles, and creating enormous amounts of pressure. She is still just as guilty as ever at wasting her kicks and gives away a few too many free kicks for high contact, but she is nonetheless extremely valuable. It seems funny to say it given how many touches she actually gets, but the stat sheet doesn't show her full value. Her partnership with Hatchard is immense.

#11 Jasmine Simmons (2) - It's hard to know what to make of Simmons so far. She is tall but hasn't really used her height to advantage. She has had a bit of possession but mostly handballs, and has had several shots on goal without nailing one. She is lacking that footy instinct you see in the best players, which means she is often in the vicinity without really affecting the contest. But she's done a bit, here and there. At this stage she should really only be a depth player.

#12 Chelsea Biddell (7.5+) - Unquestionably the find of the season so far for us. She is surprisingly quick, and gets the defensive job done in the air and on the ground. Very handy long kick too! Every game she seems to do something clever that shows she's a footballer, not just an athlete. Her emergence has taken the pressure off Randall to lock onto a key forward, thankfully since she's missed half the season so far.

#13 Erin Phillips (8.5=) - Is she playing better than last year? It's hard to say. She's less prolific in front of goal, but is getting more of the ball. Her main value is just her presence, having her there allowed Woodland to get off the leash for the first few rounds, and as soon as someone locked down on Woodland, Phillips got off the leash.

#14 Stevie-Lee Thompson (7=) - Sadly, the health protocols forced Stevie-Lee to miss a match for the first time in her AFLW career. Despite that, she has continued the quality form she displayed after having been moved back to defence last year. She is using her pace well and doesn't seem to get caught as often as in some previous seasons.

#15 Danielle Ponter (5.5=) - When Ponter is on, she can be extremely valuable and can create goals. Unfortunately those moments are few and far between. She seems to be permanently stationed forward of the ball now, and just hasn't quite done enough. She unquestionably has the talent though.

#16 Ailish Considine (3+) - Considine had a 2021 to forget, only occasionally making the side and then having a very poor grand final. She has been slightly better this year, but the fact remains that she lacks football instinct. This leads to her going to the wrong spots, or giving away unnecessary free kicks. Her strengths - athleticism and a booming kick - are still there, and she's not terrible depth. If she is going to stay in the side, I'd prefer to see her forward of the ball more often.

#17 Madison Newman (5.5+) - Newman was forced to wait for injuries and Covid in order to get back in the side, and upon her return left viewers wondering why she hadn't been there all along. It's still not clear where her best position is at AFLW level, but she is a very natural footballer and looks super composed. Definitely want to see more of her.

#19 Jasmyn Hewett (3=) - Is the clear third place out of our ruck trio at the moment. Failed to win a single hitout in her one match, and offers less around the ground than either Gould or McKinnon. Depth only.

#20 Hannah Munyard (4.5+) - Probably the hardest player to rate. Munyard looks like a footballer and does lots of clever things, but somehow just doesn't seem to actually get much of the ball. She is improved on 2021, but is still very much a fringe player at this stage.

#21 Montana McKinnon (6+) - It would have been hard for McKinnon not to improve, given she was held out the side all last year. She has been very solid in her role as second ruck, and performed adequately in the one match she was asked to lead the ruck. Her intercept marking down back has been a real feature, and has meant the Crows can comfortably carry two rucks.

#22 Lisa Whiteley (4+) - Has only had a couple of games, and initially started in defence where she continued to be unimpressive, but a switch up forward has uncovered a potential opportunity for her. The Crows haven't had a big-bodied mark-clunking forward since Biddell's stint up there, and Scheer's 2019 season before that. Whiteley hasn't set the world on fire in that role, but she's been servicable, and nobody else is putting their hand up for the role.

#23 Justine Mules (5-) - Has been moved up forward this year to try to provide some extra pressure on rebounding defenders, and it probably hasn't really worked. I like her better around 60m from goal, cutting off rebounds and hitting up forward targets, rather than being 30m from goal like she was at the start of the season.

#24 Ashleigh Woodland (7+) - The primary difference between 2021 Woodland and 2022 Woodland has been making the most of her opportunities - 10 goals straight so far this year! She got massively off the leash early in the season, before coaches started putting lots of time into her. Even so, her presence draws defenders, allowing other players to score goals. She is still leading the league in goalscoring despiting going scoreless for the last two weeks.

#25 Teah Charlton (6=) - Charlton just missed her first game due to the health protocols, which is a shame for her. She has continued to be useful playing as a winger. Smart player and a lovely kick, tough as old boots too.

#26 Chelsea Randall (6-) - I adore Randall, but we haven't seen the best of her this year. Really, we haven't seen the best of her since 2019. At her best, she is still one of the best stoppers in the league if she is given a task, and her sheer athleticism makes her useful anywhere on the ground. She is still guilty of burning her kicks at times. I hope we take time with her and let her recover from injury because she could be a massive weapon if we make it into the finals. I wonder if she will reprise her role up forward? Alternatively, if we face Melbourne in the finals she will likely look to continue her unblemished record of completely stifling Tayla Harris.

#27 Abbie Ballard (5) - Ballard burst onto the scene with an excellent debut, and followed it up with an underwhelming second match. There is no question she has "it", and didn't look at all overawed in her first couple of matches. Beautiful kick. Will absolutely be a player.

#28 Brooke Tonon (??) - Tonon has yet to play, but has featured in the emergencies a couple of times so probably isn't far away.

#31 Dayna Cox (??) - Cox is still yet to return from her injury. It's not clear whether she still has a place in the side, but she's got plenty of experience and performed pretty well last year.

#32 Marijana Rajcic (7+) - Statistically, Rajcic is at par or even below her previous seasons. However, she is really benefitting from playing in a very settled and organised backline, and she seems to be a leader back there. Can get flustered when things are chaotic, but has been good for the most part and works very well with the rest of the defensive group. Certainly this is the closest to 2019 Rajcic we've seen since 2019.

#33 Anne Hatchard (9.5+) - It feels funny to say that Hatchard has improved, but she is a step above even her great 2021 form. She is probably playing as well as she did in 2020 when she was a lone hand in our midfield, but this year there are several performing players, and she's still the best of them. In addition to winning a bucketload of ball, her marking has become such a feature that she has become our regular dump-kick option. She's done it all with a sore foot for most the season, as well.

#39 Sarah Allan (9=) - Has just kept on performing as the best defender in the league. Absolutely unflappable, almost never beaten, surprisingly quick and an excellent kick. Gets plenty of ball too considering she tends to play as the deepest defender. Her tandem with Rajcic and Biddell has been an absolute highlight. Hasn't missed a match since round 4 2017.

Last edited:
You'd think the dedicated 'W Show' on afl.com that goes for 20 mins would atleast cover a part of the game where first beat second - but no, besides mentioning Crows winning without Phillips and Randall, didn't actually show even a token bit from the game at all

No crying over spilled milk as we could not have started the season with less than 30 players with the COVID protocols in place. BTW glad we have seen Ballard in action.

I agree that she should have protected herself, but geez, it was a super careless action from Allen.

It's a shame as she will miss a final, and create a bit of a selection headache if we're fortunate enough to get through to the grand final, but at least it is someone we can cover. Hell, maybe Randall will just slot back into her defensive role.

Dowrick, Prowse and Hewitt were brought in for Round 10 while McKinnon was among the players dropped.

The Crows preliminary final side will be interesting.

Dowrick, Prowse and Hewitt were brought in for Round 10 while McKinnon was among the players dropped.

The Crows preliminary final side will be interesting.

I'd be very confident all three of those will go straight back out again. The only "maybe" would be Prowse who, to be fair, did outperform both Button and probably Mules as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLW website has voting up now for most improved player of the season.

Chelsea Biddell is somehow not listed.

Tara Bohanna is listed. Don't get me wrong, she's a phenomenal story after being overlooked for six drafts. But do you usually give "most improved" awards to players in their first season?
Chelsea Biddell has matched with the 'eye' but not statistically and rated as a forward. While Bohana was part of the misfit forward line with Tex.

Of the 4 selected 2 are Premiership players and another in a losing Grand Final.

AFL Website statistics

Orla O'Dwyer Premiership Player 27 Career Games
Disposals 12.5 to 15
Kicks 7.9 to 10
Hand Balls 4.6 to 5
Marks 1.4 to 1.6
Tackles 3.6 to 4.7
Total Clearances 1.4 to 1.9
AFL Fantasy 52.2 to 65.1

Tilly Lucas-Rodd GF Loser 43 Games
Disposals 13.2 to 20.1
Kicks 9.1 to 13.4
Handball 4.1 to 6.7
Marks 1.8 to 1.9
Tackles 3.8 to 7
Total Clearances 1.3 to 4.2
AFL Fantasy 55.8 to 87.8

Kirsty Lamb Premiership Player 46 Games
Disposals 15.1 to 18.7
Kicks 10.3 to 11.9
Handball 4.8 to 6.8
Marks 2.7 to 2.8
Tackles 4.8 to 3.8
Total Clearance 3.2 to 3.9
AFL Fantasy 68.5 to 74.1

Tara Bohana 10 Games in 2022
Disposals 8.2
Kick 6.5
Goals 1.3 Total 13
Goal Accuracy 56.5
Marks 2.8
Tackles 3
AFL Fantasy 51.5

Chelsea Biddell 20 Games 10 this year
Disposals 7.5 to 9.4
Kicks 5.1 to 6.1
Goals 0.2 to 0
Goal Accuracy 57.1 to 0
Marks 1.3 to 1.6
Tackles 1.8 to 0.8
AFL Fantasy 28.3 to 32

Defender Stats
Medium - Metres Gained Net
Key Defender - Spoils and Intercept Marks

Last edited:
How about these two players X and Y statistically

Player X
Disposals 18.4 to 24.5
Kicks 9.5 to 15.7
Handball 8.9 to 8.8
Marks 3.9 to 6.9
Tackles 3.7 to 3.8
Total Clearance 2.5 to 2.3
AFL Fantasy 73 to 102.6

Player Y
Disposals 21.3 to 24.8
Kicks 14.7 to 16.1
Handball 6.6 to 8.7
Marks 2.7 to 4.1
Tackles 8.4 to 7.5
Total Clearance 4.1 to 3.9
AFL Fantasy 96.4 to 104.2

I figured that since I did a mid-season review of the players, I'd do one now after ten rounds as well. I'll mostly focus on how the second half of their season has compared to the first, so the +, = or - will be based on their previous rating.

#1 Caitlin Gould (6=) - Has been very consistent all year long, good for around ten touches and a similar number of hitouts. Four goals is enough to make her our equal-fourth highest goalkicker for the season.

#2 Eloise Jones (8=) - Missed one game due to injury, but has otherwise had a great season patrolling the wing. Fingers crossed she can avoid suspension for a somewhat dangerous tackle in the dying seconds of round 10.

#4 Zoe Prowse (3, previously unranked) - Finally debuted in round 10, albeit without really demanding to be played. Was servicable and showed some glimpses, but has yet to figure out what her position really is at AFLW level.

#5 Rachelle Martin (7.5=) - Super consistent on the stats sheet, around 10 touches and 5 tackles a week, but she is worth at least another ten touches per game in terms of what she takes from the opposition. Has managed to bob up for a few goals as well.

#6 Hannah Button (4.5-) - Had a slow start to the season, and has since trailed off even further. From rounds 5-10 her highest disposal count has been 7 touches. Feels like she's been on the chopping block for weeks but has nonetheless managed to play all ten games so far this year, one of only eight players to do so.

#7 Nikki Gore (5-) - Found herself on the chopping block after round 5, only returning to the side in round 10 after dominating the SANFLW. For all that, she hasn't played that bad and has certainly outperformed several other mainstays in the side.

#8 Najwa Allen (5.5-) - Allen has continued to be fine without being great, but an ill-disciplined bump will see her miss the prelim final, and it's no guarantee she'll get her spot back if we make it to the grand final.

#9 McKenzie Dowrick (2, previously unranked) - Dowrick was given a Crows debut in round 10, but didn't really show much to suggest she'll be back for the finals.

#10 Ebony Marinoff (9.5+) - Incredibly, Marinoff actually increased her output in the back half of the season, averaging an extra two disposals and two tackles compared to the first half of the season. Has 40 clearances for the year, well ahead of second place on 23 (Hatchard and Phillips tied). She even managed to kick a rare goal! Her only real issue this year is giving away free kicks. She is our most penalised player with 18 frees against (and only 9 for), well ahead of second place with 11 frees against.

#11 Jasmine Simmons (1.5-) - After her run of four games at the start of the season, Simmons hasn't really been close to selection since. I think she might have been named emergency once.

#12 Chelsea Biddell (8+) - Biddell has continued to be super impressive in her first season as a tall defender, and hasn't played a bad game. In addition to her defensive traits, her long kicking is a real feature. Defensively she's been every bit as good as Sarah Allan, which is not praise I give lightly! She is also slowly but surely getting involved in more play too, having increased her average disposal count from 8.4 in the first five weeks to 10.4 in the next five.

#13 Erin Phillips (8- ) - Missed one game to injury, but has otherwise been pretty good. She hasn't been able to impact the scoreboard directly, with only two goals in the last six weeks. However, I believe she is leading the entire league in score involvements (the AFLW stats page is currently broken, but I'm pretty sure) which tells you about her quality.

#14 Stevie-Lee Thompson (6.5-) - Has had a slightly interrupted season, missing rounds 4 and 7. The back half of the season has probably been slightly weaker than the front half, but still decent. Has had a few chances to creep forward and impact the scoreboard but rarely turns it into a goal.

#15 Danielle Ponter (6.5+) - Ponter has definitely had a better back half of the season, increasing her disposal average from 8.4 in the first five weeks to 10.8 in the next five. Four of her five goals this year have come in the last three weeks.

#16 Ailish Condisine (4+) - Is it fair to call her the David Mackay of our AFLW yet? A whipping girl on this forum most weeks and often predicted as an out, she has nonetheless held her spot since coming back in round 3. She has played better since moving forward of the ball, although hasn't impacted the scoreboard herself in the last five weeks. She is slowly but surely working out how to avoid some of the pitfalls in her game and her athleticism allows her to show occasional flashes. Her round 10 games against St Kilda was probably the best game of her career so far.

#17 Madison Newman (5.5=) - I probably would have moved her up to a 6, until she was inexplicable omitted in round 10. Will she be back for the finals? Hard to say.

#19 Jasmyn Hewett (3.5+) - Her second game was a lot better than her first, despite a terrible first kick. At least she actually got some hitouts this time! Still very clearly the third best ruck on our list, which begs the question why she was played over McKinnon in round 10. I don't have an answer.

#20 Hannah Munyard (5+) - Munyard was finally starting to get her disposal count up and was benefitting from some consistency, but an injury in round 8 saw her miss the last two games. She's an outside chance to get back in the side for the finals.

#21 Montana McKinnon (6=) - I would have considered moving McKinnon up to 6.5 until she was omitted for round 10. Was it just a rest, or did the selection panel actually think Hewett had more to offer than her? Hard to say. Over the course of the season, McKinnon has gone from the clear second-choice ruck to generally leading the ruck, and her defensive marking has been a real feature. Her numbers were admittedly down in rounds 8 and 9.

#22 Lisa Whiteley (4.5+) - Whiteley has been servicable in her role as a key forward target, and was averaging in our top handful of players for score involvements. She unfortunately does fumble a few too many marks and loose balls. Was dropped for round 10, ostensibly for Dowrick.

#23 Justine Mules (5=) - It's difficult to know what to make of Mules' game this year. Her tackle count is well down on previous years, and she was played up forward for much of the year with almost no impact on the scoreboard. Despite all that, she has had some good games when she has returned to her previous role on the wing. The problem is, she's not going to get regular games there with Jones and Charlton in the side. High half-forward seems to be her best role at the moment.

#24 Ashleigh Woodland (8+) - It would have been almost impossible for Woodland to maintain her accuracy (10.0) from the first five weeks, and she didn't. But she did actually score higher overall in the last six weeks (9.8) which is impressive in itself. She has been more consistent in the back half of the season, kicking two goals in four games and one goal in the other. She has gotten involved in tackling much more since round 4 (3 tackles in the first three rounds, 26 tackles in the last seven). Oh yeah, and she won the AFLW leading goalkicker award! Her importance to the side is revealed by looking at our goalkicking tally. Woodland is top with 19 goals, and second place (Phillips) has only 6. Woodland has actually kicked more than a third of all of our goals this season.

#25 Teah Charlton (6.5+) - Charlton has upped her disposal average from 11.4 in the first five weeks to 13.4 in the last five, while her tackle average has grown from 3.6 to 5.8. I don't know how to check CBA stats in AFLW but it feels like Charlton has had a few more opportunities in the middle, and is behind only Marinoff, Hatchard and Phillips for total clearances.

#26 Chelsea Randall (5-) - Has barely played this season. Went down midway through round 2, came back in round 4 only to go down again, and has only just returned in round 10. Despite all that, she looked fit and firing in round 10 and her versatility will be a huge weapon in the finals. If results go as expected it could be Chelsea Randall vs Tayla Harris for the third time in a grand final!

#27 Abbie Ballard (4.5-) - Ballard's best match to date remains her debut match. However, she has managed four matches so far in her debut season which is no mean feat. Clearly has a game and may yet contribute in the finals.

#28 Brooke Tonon (3.5, previously unranked) - Tonon has managed a couple of games in the latter half of the season. She hasn't set the world on fire yet but looks composed and athletic.

#31 Dayna Cox (??) - The only member of our squad to be available for selection this year but not play a game. Even with six outs in round 10 she didn't get a look, even on the emergency list, so it appears she is out of consideration for selection in 2022 unless injury or Covid force our hand.

#32 Marijana Rajcic (7.5+) - Has taken on a real leadership role down back and has performed very well in the tall defence trio along with Allan, and Biddell. Has been very smart with her positioning and works excellently with the defensive unit.

#33 Anne Hatchard (9.5=) - Has just maintained her brilliant form all season long, despite some injury issues. She probably shouldn't have played round 9, but still managed 23 touches, albeit with some very hairy moments in a tight game. Other than that she's had a stellar back half of the season, and leads the competition in marks by a huge margin. She is also an umpire's pet, with 21 frees for and only 7 frees against.

#39 Sarah Allan (9=) - Allan is as consistent as an atomic clock. Still doesn't get beaten, still gets her dozen touches a week, still nails her long kicks. Just quietly goes about her work of being the best key defender in the competition, week after week. I adore her.

Hasn't been announced yet. We don't even know for sure what the venue will be.
I'll be in bloody Melbourne for the Collingwood game... hoping they don't put it on Saturday but also hoping it's not a late Sunday game as we'll be flying home! I wonder if Kayo will work on the plane??

I'll be in bloody Melbourne for the Collingwood game... hoping they don't put it on Saturday but also hoping it's not a late Sunday game as we'll be flying home! I wonder if Kayo will work on the plane??
Some planes do offer wifi now................but doubt the speeds will be good enough to watch though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back