Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha. Honestly if I'm wrong the club will have done something majorly cooked to make him change his mind.
Just in case, membership to the Lions@Springwood is $1. I got your back.

Haha. Honestly if I'm wrong the club will have done something majorly cooked to make him change his mind.
Brisbane may need to ready themselves for the prospect of missing out on father-son gun Will Ashcroft at the 2022 National Draft.

As the son of a triple premiership-winning Lion, Marcus Ashcroft, and a product of the Sunshine State, the 17-year-old had previously held strong ties to continue his father's legacy in maroon, blue and gold.

However, after moving from Queensland to Victoria in 2018, the Gabba side could well miss out on the 318-gamer's offspring due to a shift in mindset.

Speaking with The Herald Sun ahead of his final underage season, Ashcroft claimed that although he was born and bred within Lions territory, he now saw himself as a Victorian through and through.

“I love it in Melbourne. I think I’m a Melburnian now – I’ve been here for long enough,” Ashcroft stated.

While yet to make a decision on whether he would pick up his father's baton at the Gabba during the 2023 season, the Brighton Grammar graduate was content with life in footy's heartland.

“I’m at uni here, my whole family’s here and I’m playing footy here so at the moment I’m just trying to take it day by day, to be honest," Ashcroft continued.

“I think it (the father-son decision) is in the back of my mind at the moment.

“It’s not at the forefront. I’m just trying to improve my game and looking forward to the year ahead.

“But I think when the time comes it will be weighed up pretty heavily.

“It’s a pretty big decision for myself and my family. So it’s definitely there but it’s nowhere near time to think about that.”

With the teenage midfielder seen as a likely first-round draftee, should Ashcroft make a call in the Lions' favour, it would provide a significant shot in the arm for Chris Fagan's already brimming engine room.

Ahead of another full season with NAB League outfit Sandringham and hopes of a return to the Vic Metro representative side ahead of him, the Bayside local's true value is yet to be entirely determined.

Still, this hasn't halted early predictions that the aerobic talent could well be taken with the opening pick of this year's draft.

The son of a gun ran amok for the Big V during the 2021 Under-17s carnival, collecting 33 disposals, 12 clearances and two goals in an eye-catching outing against Vic Country at Kardinia Park.

Ashcroft's final season as a Dragon is set to commence on Sunday, April 3 when Sandringham take on geographic rivals Oakleigh Chargers at RSEA Park at 1:00pm.

The date for the 2022 AFL Draft is yet to be released by league headquarters.

Brisbane may need to ready themselves for the prospect of missing out on father-son gun Will Ashcroft at the 2022 National Draft.

As the son of a triple premiership-winning Lion, Marcus Ashcroft, and a product of the Sunshine State, the 17-year-old had previously held strong ties to continue his father's legacy in maroon, blue and gold.

However, after moving from Queensland to Victoria in 2018, the Gabba side could well miss out on the 318-gamer's offspring due to a shift in mindset.

Speaking with The Herald Sun ahead of his final underage season, Ashcroft claimed that although he was born and bred within Lions territory, he now saw himself as a Victorian through and through.

“I love it in Melbourne. I think I’m a Melburnian now – I’ve been here for long enough,” Ashcroft stated.

While yet to make a decision on whether he would pick up his father's baton at the Gabba during the 2023 season, the Brighton Grammar graduate was content with life in footy's heartland.

“I’m at uni here, my whole family’s here and I’m playing footy here so at the moment I’m just trying to take it day by day, to be honest," Ashcroft continued.

“It’s not at the forefront. I’m just trying to improve my game and looking forward to the year ahead.

“It’s a pretty big decision for myself and my family. So it’s definitely there but it’s nowhere near time to think about that.”

With the teenage midfielder seen as a likely first-round draftee, should Ashcroft make a call in the Lions' favour, it would provide a significant shot in the arm for Chris Fagan's already brimming engine room.

Ahead of another full season with NAB League outfit Sandringham and hopes of a return to the Vic Metro representative side ahead of him, the Bayside local's true value is yet to be entirely determined.

Still, this hasn't halted early predictions that the aerobic talent could well be taken with the opening pick of this year's draft.

The son of a gun ran amok for the Big V during the 2021 Under-17s carnival, collecting 33 disposals, 12 clearances and two goals in an eye-catching outing against Vic Country at Kardinia Park.

Ashcroft's final season as a Dragon is set to commence on Sunday, April 3 when Sandringham take on geographic rivals Oakleigh Chargers at RSEA Park at 1:00pm.

Flufftastic.

Change his mind,
Implies he’s made his mind up. You seem very positive Nunez, where does this positivity come from?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Change his mind,
Implies he’s made his mind up. You seem very positive Nunez, where does this positivity come from?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm Will Ashcroft 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marc Murphy 2.0

So if come draft time Will is rated is number 1 and he doesn’t pick Brisbane. And say the bottom four is Crows,Suns,Eagles,Freo he thinks all those clubs will past on him so he can get to a Vic side?
Imagine if he chooses the Suns over us due to greater opportunities in the midfield, damn that would hurt unbelievably for us.

I just want to say though and I don't want to make this forum explode in what I say next mind you, but I think it's NOT the end of the world as we know it, if Ashcroft doesn't want to play for next year and I think the club wouldn't be overall disappointed if the worst comes to fruition in him not wanting to play for us.

I mean it will still be a massive disappoint for us missing out on another F/S player for us (with such a high ceiling already on him) and him staying in Victoria as a result (North Melbourne/Collingwood/Hawthorn) but I have a feeling that he would be better off in the long-term future of the club's best interests if he didn't come to us, as I reckon he'll want a high price to stay at the club in his prime years and we 100% would need to get rid of some of our current young-guns now as a result of affording him to stay, if it did come to that predicament.

The way it sounds like in his interviews probably suggests to me now though that he rather stay in Victoria and play over there in the future for various reasons such as study, family and everything else in his world and that is perfectly normal for him to have that opinion and I would be having the same thought if I was in his shoes and wasn't a true Lions supporter by heart.

Despite all that though, at least we have future 1st round pick in Jaspa Fletcher coming to the club next year most likely so all hope isn't lost for the future of our footy club.

Last edited:
Imagine if he chooses the Suns over us due to greater opportunities in the midfield, damn that would hurt unbelievably for us.

I just want to say though and I don't want to make this forum explode in what I say next mind you, but I think it's NOT the end of the world as we know it, if Ashcroft doesn't want to play for next year and I think the club wouldn't be overall disappointed if the worst comes to fruition in him not wanting to play for us.

I mean it will still be a massive disappoint for us missing out on another F/S player for us (with such a high ceiling already on him) and him staying in Victoria as a result (North Melbourne/Collingwood/Hawthorn) but I have a feeling that he would be better off in the long-term future of the club's best interests if he didn't come to us, as I reckon he'll want a high price to stay at the club in his prime years and we 100% would need to get rid of some of our current young-guns now as a result of affording him to stay, if it did come to that predicament.

The way it sounds like in his interviews probably suggests to me now though that he rather stay in Victoria and play over there in the future for various reasons such as study, family and everything else in his world and that is perfectly normal for him to have that opinion and I would be having the same thought if I was in his shoes and wasn't a true Lions supporter by heart.

Despite all that though, at least we have future 1st round pick in Jaspa Fletcher coming to the club next year most likely so all hope isn't lost for the future of our footy club.
He’s 6 years younger that McCluggage, 5 years younger than Rayner and Bailey.

By the time he’s reaching his prime, a lot of our current top end youngsters will be 30 or older.

It’s your star players that win you grand finals (most of the time). It’s easier to fill out a squad with role players, than find one gun player.

There is something about this latest narrative with Will Ashcroft that doesn't make sense...especially after training with us over the summer break and where we are positioned at present. If he goes to the draft, he is not even certain of staying in Victoria anyway and by the nature of the draft, he will end up with one of the cellar-dweller teams. On face value, you would think he and his family would be very happy to go to the Lions so I am a bit confused by his current positioning.

"Victorian through and through" - LoL. That's the difference with Qld: I left Victoria 30 years ago and have lived in Brisbane for 18 years but am still considered by some to be Victorian.
I've lived in NSW for almost 20 years now.

I admit to still being a Queenslander.

I reckon it'd almost be harder to break into the suns midfield long term than ours. We have a few guys closer to retirement so you can see the slot to fit into. The Suns are GWS in having so many high draftees that its tough to see a spot open up anytime soon

A lot of non elite kids change their sport or activity when they hit their teenage years. Don't want to do the same stuff they did when they were little kids.

Grow up in the lions academy it's all familiar and steady without people fawning over you (too much) cause they know you.

Move to Victoria as a teenager, suddenly it's all very exciting and new. It's like starting something new. Maybe coming to the lions would feel like going backwards.

A lot of non elite kids change their sport or activity when they hit their teenage years. Don't want to do the same stuff they did when they were little kids.

Grow up in the lions academy it's all familiar and steady without people fawning over you (too much) cause they know you.

Move to Victoria as a teenager, suddenly it's all very exciting and new. It's like starting something new. Maybe coming to the lions would feel like going backwards.

He was never in the lions academy to my knowledge - would have been in the suns academy until his dad got sacked and I’m pretty sure they moved to Melbourne shortly afterwards.

That doesn't sound so good. If his family's in Melbourne and he's at uni here with new friends and all that the prospect of heading back to Brisbane mightn't be appealing at all. Maybe our best hope is that the Suns ,Freo , Crows or someone in NSW wants him and he'd prefer us over that.

Still who knows. One door closes another one opens.

He was never in the lions academy to my knowledge - would have been in the suns academy until his dad got sacked and I’m pretty sure they moved to Melbourne shortly afterwards.
Lol as soon as I hit post I thought maybe I should have fact checked. But then, facts can ruin an opinion

Still think the new and exciting is going to be a major factor for him. Maybe more if he developed through the sun's, since there is rivalry between the club's. Might not feel a connection to the lions.

Lol as soon as I hit post I thought maybe I should have fact checked. But then, facts can ruin an opinion

Still think the new and exciting is going to be a major factor for him. Maybe more if he developed through the sun's, since there is rivalry between the club's. Might not feel a connection to the lions.
Might want to cut his own trail.
Would not be upset if he chooses the lucky dip in the draft and goes elsewhere.
Hey maybe Hodgey's boys likes Brisbane and are sons of a gun, who knows.
I mean we will probably win the cup this year so you know, who cares. :D
It is about timing imo.
If we were where we were 8 years ago , I would be crying if we missed out on someone like this.
Then again another 5 years time , who really knows where we will be seated.:think:
Ok better get him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back