Movie The Batman (2021) SPOILERS!

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
That was a perfect batman movie! The overall aesthetics, environment and tone of the city, the collective work of everybody made it a gem, which is what reviewers might be suggesting when saying, "Gotham is alive and is the organism of the movie"!
The cast was spot on, it was very mob/godfather and sometimes James Bond-esque! and real in feeling, the storyboarding and cinematography was crafted like a fine wine(I don't even drink wine!!). When i say cinematography, i mean comparable to oscar winners like JFK and Shindler's List and classics of yesteryear, top level use of camera effects, scenery, angles, editing, lighting, the whole lot. So good that you don't realise the movie was 3 hours long. It felt like you were watching a classic film from 1994 or something, surely not in 2022, lol. Next was the music, what a fantastic score and use of certain songs that i won't spoil here.
You cared about the characters, they weren't just hollow containers with zero arch in a sterile film filled with cgi nonsense.

Anyone else notice Batman's theme sounded a bit like Darth Vader's imperial march? Probably just similar notes...

9.5/10 best film of the year with ease!

Last edited:
That was a perfect batman movie! The overall aesthetics, environment and tone of the city, the collective work of everybody made it a gem, which is what reviewers might be suggesting when saying, "Gotham is alive and is the organism of the movie"!
The cast was spot on, it was very mob/godfather and sometimes James Bond-esque! and real in feeling, the storyboarding and cinematography was crafted like a fine wine(I don't even drink wine!!). When i say cinematography, i mean comparable to oscar winners like JFK and Shindler's List and classics of yesteryear, top level use of camera effects, scenery, angles, editing, lighting, the whole lot. So good that you don't realise the movie was 3 hours long. It felt like you were watching a classic film from 1994 or something, surely not in 2022, lol. Next was the music, what a fantastic score and use of certain songs that i won't spoil here.
You cared about the characters, they weren't just hollow containers with zero arch in a sterile film filled with cgi nonsense.

Anyone else notice Batman's theme sounded a bit like Darth Vader's imperial march? Probably just similar notes...

9.5/10 best film of the year with ease!

It felt like citizen cane in parts. with batman the orsen welles

Batman is back for a fifth or maybe sixth reset of the character in non-animated feature length film. Starring as the title character is Robert Pattinson who was in The Lighthouse and High Life. It won't be part of the ongoing DC Extended Universe. This decision may have been influenced by the fact Robert Pattinson looks much younger than Ben Affleck.

Pure West.

In cinemas October 2021.

Looks good

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It did, yes. Quite likely it’s first active use. I noticed from the very first Batcave/Wayne Terminus scene at the start of the film, the car is unfinished and underneath a cover. Tools and parts are around it, he is still working on finishing it (excellent decision to have this version hand built by Bruce).

This sound is mesmerising:

Holy s**t this is my new ringtone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees

This piece of music gloriously accompanied that opening narration/montage. It’s exemplary filmmaking, particularly the cinematography and lighting.

Which alley would he emerge from? The drop head bloke robbing the Goods Times grocery store? The dudes robbing Gotham bank and then graffitiing the front of it? The way they all pause, look up and see the signal in the sky, then start to s**t themselves and look intently at any hallways or alleys around them.

Even though I knew he’d * up that train gang from it being shown in the trailers, it was still so damn effective.

“I am the shadows”. And then the rousing Batman theme. ******* hell, now that’s how you open a film. Beautifully crafted scene.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I am genuinely stunned, I went into the movie hearing the good reviews but very weary due to being unsure of whether Pattinson would fit the Batman role well, well didn't he just go and decide to prove me wrong, apart from the run time I have no issues with this film, that was fantastic. While long, there wasn't a moment where I wasn't invested in what was happening. Paul Dano was terrifying as Riddler, definitely a different take on the character which was great, Colin Farrell was just great as Penguin, that's all I'll say, hard to find a scene he didn't absolutely crush.

9.5/10, if it weren't for the run time I might have given it a 10.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
9/10

Excellent movie. Better than Bale's Batman Begins but not as good as the next two. R-Patt was excellent as Batman but not quite 100% sold on him as Bruce. Too much emo IMO.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Spin tingling, but I was trying to work out where I’d heard something similar. Think I found it (23 seconds in).

That’s a hell of a pick up, yes I can hear the resemblance as well. Perhaps Reeves was a fan, and used this sound as the baseline of the Batmobile engine (with a s**t tonne of steroids added on top).

Such an amazing scene. Epic.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
9/10

Excellent movie. Better than Bale's Batman Begins but not as good as the next two. R-Patt was excellent as Batman but not quite 100% sold on him as Bruce. Too much emo IMO.
I agree with your assessment. Personally I prefer the Bale's style of batman, but credit to them for trying something different and going down the detective batman style. I just found it a little slow in patches but that's my preference.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Watching TDKR last night I am firm in my belief that Bale was a good Bruce Wayne but a terrible Batman which makes sense as Batman is hardly ever shown in that trilogy.plus I’m still firm in my belief that the action was ******* terrible as well as some of the acting .

I’m hoping they flesh out a more balanced Bruce Wayne in the next film, which again makes sense as he realises that Gotham needs Bruce Wayne and how close the riddler came to working out that he was Batman.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Watching TDKR last night I am firm in my belief that Bale was a good Bruce Wayne but a terrible Batman which makes sense as Batman is hardly ever shown in that trilogy.plus I’m still firm in my belief that the action was ******* terrible as well as some of the acting .

I’m hoping they flesh out a more balanced Bruce Wayne in the next film, which again makes sense as he realises that Gotham needs Bruce Wayne and how close the riddler came to working out that he was Batman.
This would make sense, in reality from a character arc. Angry teen angsty Batman who despises Bruce and his privelege - into - Philanthropist playboy Bruce who does the dirty work by night as Batman actually makes the most sense. Most of the Batmen we have seen were pretty much fully formed as the latter right from the start (we saw a glimpse of Bale as the angry boy but not the angry Bat)

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
how close the riddler came to working out that he was Batman.
Was thinking they’d do the scene from the comics where riddler calls out Bruce is Batman, but Batman counteracts saying what’s a riddle that everyone knows the answer to… and therefore riddler doesn’t tell the world

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
This would make sense, in reality from a character arc. Angry teen angsty Batman who despises Bruce and his privelege - into - Philanthropist playboy Bruce who does the dirty work by night as Batman actually makes the most sense. Most of the Batmen we have seen were pretty much fully formed as the latter right from the start (we saw a glimpse of Bale as the angry boy but not the angry Bat)
The prequel novel touches on how much he hates his public image which is why he so reclusive and being Batman all the time

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Batmobile and imax, what a ******* combination. I swear the walls shook when it fired up. I felt that sh*t in my bones. This was a ******* glorious scene worth the price of admission alone. I was taken back to my 9 year old self when I first saw the 89 Batmobile rescue Vicky Vale from the Joker and his goons, and race back to the Batcave.

This beast is like a fire breathing monster, when it roared I was losing my sh*t even though I’d already seen it. fu** yes.

this was legitmately the best part of sound i have seen in a movie. It was like what Tenet was trying to do. Amazing.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

I really didn't mind this aspect of the film, and understand why it is quite noticable to many how little of Bruce Wayne there was in the film (or any main differentiator between him and Batman, they were almost one and the same in terms of character). This iteration has had to make a few key decisions from the outset, in order to draw a distinction to the other live action Batman films.

In the context of the universe it established, this Bruce Wayne fits very well. And can see the trajectory that he will (hopefully) embark on over the course of the unfolding trilogy. He doesn't as yet have the charm or the playboy nature associated with Bruce Wayne. This was an aspect that was executed very well in the Nolan films - loved the quips that he would be the hotel he's eating in during Batman Begins, riding in his Lamborghini Murcielago with 2 models on his lap, told the waitor in The Dark Knight to combine tables with Rachel/Harvey Dent because "I own the place" etc. It was gold.

I will add however there were 3 main issues that remain with me in The Batman, one of them being I felt the Alfred/Bruce relationship was quite undercooked. Which is odd in almost 3 hour film. They had that great scene in the hospital, however overall I felt that glimpse was a bit underwhelming in the broader scheme of their dynamic together.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
this was legitmately the best part of sound i have seen in a movie. It was like what Tenet was trying to do. Amazing.

I'm amost obsessed with it, at a guess I've listened to that engine start up 50, 60 times. I was waiting in line at the supermarket this morning for the self check out, with my headphones in and that clip on loop on youtube. Had no idea I was actually making the noise with my mouth too, many a sideways and akward glance in my direction :D

A ridiculously good scene. That scene is going to stay with me for a long time.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Pattinson did an interview talking about the Wayne/Batman differences and touched on how difficult it would be to maintain two completely different personas, borderline impossible to keep it going every single day.

Early in his Batman career I can see how Wayne and Batman would pretty much be one and the same.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I really didn't mind this aspect of the film, and understand why it is quite noticable to many how little of Bruce Wayne there was in the film (or any main differentiator between him and Batman, they were almost one and the same in terms of character). This iteration has had to make a few key decisions from the outset, in order to draw a distinction to the other live action Batman films.

In the context of the universe it established, this Bruce Wayne fits very well. And can see the trajectory that he will (hopefully) embark on over the course of the unfolding trilogy. He doesn't as yet have the charm or the playboy nature associated with Bruce Wayne. This was an aspect that was executed very well in the Nolan films - loved the quips that he would be the hotel he's eating in during Batman Begins, riding in his Lamborghini Murcielago with 2 models on his lap, told the waitor in The Dark Knight to combine tables with Rachel/Harvey Dent because "I own the place" etc. It was gold.

I will add however there were 3 main issues that remain with me in The Batman, one of them being I felt the Alfred/Bruce relationship was quite undercooked. Which is odd in almost 3 hour film. They had that great scene in the hospital, however overall I felt that glimpse was a bit underwhelming in the broader scheme of their dynamic together.
I liked Bales portrayal of the rich playboy and it fit that universe but i think i like the R-Patz portrayal better overall. The Bale Bruce was almost fully formed, he had the scene with the gun to shoot Joe Chill but then he pissed off and got trained and then came back as the billionaire playboy alter ego. It worked but R-Patz trauma allows for more development i think (personal opinion).

I actually think the hospital scene, whilst really good, showed that relationship as fractured, there had been lying and mistrust there. It gives the foundations for the relationship building more.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember reading an interview with Pattinson where he was saying just how hard it is to emote and act when half your face is covered and he ultimately had to overact just so you could see it.

Reeves would ask him to give a bit more and Pattinson was gobsmacked as he was effectively squeezing a vein out of his head by acting so hard but then he would come over to the monitor and notice that you couldn’t even see his eyes.

He did a tremendous job.
Does he act? He seems to 'play' the same character in each film.....this included

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Back