Draft Expert AFLW Draft Expert Rankings/ Phantoms

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
As we come closer and closer to the beginning of the pathways seasons (NAB League Girls starting on 22nd of January), I though it was fitting to introduce the AFLW Draft Expert rankings threads, where the likes of Pie 4 Life and eDPS can show off their thoughts on the draft crop, and maybe answer some questions from the adoring fans!

So please feel free to comment on, and ask questions about, the various rankings, phantom drafts, and draft prospects mentioned within this thread, thank you!

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey eDPS would love us experts to compare our Top 10s from each State. What do you have for Queensland? ;)
Ok here is my Queensland top 10
C6CB0DC8-3610-4CF5-AB71-238D6DF3D161.jpeg

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
ehhhh.PNG

So an early national top 20, obviously hard with only NAB league having more than 1 game so far but it is what it is. I also freely admit I'm not really across WAFLW, SANFLW or QLD footy so those rankings are based primarily off Champs games from 2021.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
So an early national top 20, obviously hard with only NAB league having more than 1 game so far but it is what it is. I also freely admit I'm not really across WAFLW, SANFLW or QLD footy so those rankings are based primarily off Champs games from 2021.
How close would Zara Hamilton be to the top-20? It probably doesn't matter much, since I think she's from Canberra, so probably nominates NSW, but I'd love to get your take anyway. I was really impressed with her over the first two weeks (I haven't had a chance to see her 38 against GWV yet). Kicking probably needs some work, but she's hardly alone on that one.

I'm also wondering where you'd have Deed and Dowling at this point. I'd assume they were both pretty close to being drafted last year, and they both look to have improved a lot over the off-season. Apparently Deed's a train-on at Melbourne, so I don't know if they have a way to add her to the list, but if they don't Hawthorn probably should, right?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
How close would Zara Hamilton be to the top-20? It probably doesn't matter much, since I think she's from Canberra, so probably nominates NSW, but I'd love to get your take anyway. I was really impressed with her over the first two weeks (I haven't had a chance to see her 38 against GWV yet). Kicking probably needs some work, but she's hardly alone on that one.

I'm also wondering where you'd have Deed and Dowling at this point. I'd assume they were both pretty close to being drafted last year, and they both look to have improved a lot over the off-season. Apparently Deed's a train-on at Melbourne, so I don't know if they have a way to add her to the list, but if they don't Hawthorn probably should, right?
I haven't really thought about anything past my 20 except for the 4-5 that were in contention for it, but I think Hamilton would be 35+ at a guess, she's certainly got a great understanding of the game and strong read of the ball, and she just knows where to be to find the footy, but her disposal is a let down for me when watching her. Sunday is a great example of her strengths being at her best and areas of improvement being at her worst, despite those 38 disposals I'd be surprised if she had over 400 meters gained given her kicks were usually chipped or went sideways. I'd love to see her back her pace one-on-one more, make her decisions quicker and just go for distance on her kicks sometimes.
In saying that as a GWS fan I'm optimistic on her, outside of her disposal she's a really good prospect, so I hope it's something that the Bushrangers, Allies and GWS put a lot of time into, we've seen she can win the ball, is fit and has an immense workrate, let her focus on improving her disposal

Deed would be up there, she's been looking quicker and a lot better using the ball by foot than last season, I'd be shocked if she doesn't get prelisted by Hawthorn if she doesn't get picked up as an injury replacement player, the only concern I have now is the main one from last season, lack of clear second position. Dowling I'm waiting to see how she goes on a similarly strong opponent, a lot of her goals that I've seen have come from outmuscling an opponent to take the mark

View attachment 1324203
I couldn't just let this injustice of Hannah Ewings go unnoticed.

Anyway feeling cute, might delete later, just whipped something up quickly. Probably will have different thoughts tomorrow let alone in a week.

1 Ella Roberts (WA)
2 Hannah Ewings (SA)
3 Jasmine Fleming (VM)
4 Amber Clarke (VC)
5 Zarlie Goldsworthy (NSW-ACT)
6 Charlotte Baskaran (VM)
7 Montana Ham (VM)
8 Sofia Hurley (VM)
9 Claire Ransom (TAS)
10 Alana Gee (QLD)
11 Keeley Kustermann (SA)
12 Charlotte Taylor (VM)
13 Paige Scott (VC)
14 Sarah Goodwin (SA)
15 Bridie Hipwell (VM)
16 Mackenzie Eardley (VC)
17 Octavia Di Donato (VC)
18 Mia Busch (VM)
19 Emily Shepherd (VC)
20 Keeley Skepper (VC)

Starts to thin out after this and even the last few spots, very even. I anticipate every chance Wakfer forces her way in, and of course there's always surprise packets that pop up.

Taylah Gatt (Dandenong wing) is one I think could be a real surprise bolter if she continues her form from the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Taylah Gatt (Dandenong wing) is one I think could be a real surprise bolter if she continues her form from the weekend.
Dandenong have a few in that category, you know I'm as big Liv Robinson fan obviously, but Crank has been putting in consistently solid efforts. Mia Austin from Eastern I think you'll like next time you see her as well

Then the ones we know are quality could still bolt up, Wilcox, Gray and Williams in particular are looking good

Update Rookie Me top 30

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Forgot this thread existed tbh, so here's something to have a look over for all my dear fans! A first round Phantom Draft

girls 1st.PNG

Now I'll admit that I haven't closely followed any of the state comps outside of NAB League, but have gotten around to rewatching (most) champs games, as well as utilised my dearest friends at Rookie Me Central and their thoughts! (The AFLW draft guide is fantastic btw, especially my parts!)

In terms of Victoria, the talent after Charlotte Taylor drops off a bit in my eyes and made picking really difficult, from around 10 onwards in my personal rankings I have 25 girls that I see as generally even, although there are certain tiers within that 25 with slight drop offs, but not significant enough to really make a clear order from. For example I could see Wilcox and Gatt going to Carlton with one of their selections but could just as easily see them slipping to North Melbourne/ Bulldogs pick ranges

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Forgot this thread existed tbh, so here's something to have a look over for all my dear fans! A first round Phantom Draft

View attachment 1430828

Now I'll admit that I haven't closely followed any of the state comps outside of NAB League, but have gotten around to rewatching (most) champs games, as well as utilised my dearest friends at Rookie Me Central and their thoughts! (The AFLW draft guide is fantastic btw, especially my parts!)

In terms of Victoria, the talent after Charlotte Taylor drops off a bit in my eyes and made picking really difficult, from around 10 onwards in my personal rankings I have 25 girls that I see as generally even, although there are certain tiers within that 25 with slight drop offs, but not significant enough to really make a clear order from. For example I could see Wilcox and Gatt going to Carlton with one of their selections but could just as easily see them slipping to North Melbourne/ Bulldogs pick ranges
I will be very disappointed if Mia Austin goes before the dogs pick :weary:

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I will be very disappointed if Mia Austin goes before the dogs pick :weary:
Supposedly the Dogs have recruited Millie Brown to play forward. Do you think that impacts whether they take another tall forward early or do you think they'll try and get another one since you lost both Izzy and Toogood?

Not saying first pick necessarily, but I wonder if the Dogs might look at Elliott with one of their picks given she's a strong interceptor who can take kick ins and you just had one of your main kick in players retire. She's also a local which I don't know if that factors into their thinking on not, but it's something, especially given the last Ranges ruck-forward didn't want to have to go all the way out to Whitten.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Supposedly the Dogs have recruited Millie Brown to play forward. Do you think that impacts whether they take another tall forward early or do you think they'll try and get another one since you lost both Izzy and Toogood?

Not saying first pick necessarily, but I wonder if the Dogs might look at Elliott with one of their picks given she's a strong interceptor who can take kick ins and you just had one of your main kick in players retire. She's also a local which I don't know if that factors into their thinking on not, but it's something, especially given the last Ranges ruck-forward didn't want to have to go all the way out to Whitten.
After losing Toogood and Huntington it is hard to imagine the club being happy going into next year with only NMD and Brown as key talls. Whether we are hoping for Austin with our first pick or looking to take someone later in the draft I have no idea. I believe we had a bit to do with Dojiok through our NGV so maybe we would consider her as a tall forward later in the draft.

I think the big problem will be lack of on-field leadership and structure in the forward line which will be exacerbated by Lochland leaving and McLeod a massive question mark going forward. I think we might see Newton play a more prominent forward role next year and she may adopt that forward general role.

We played a very hit up style game plan last year so I can definitely see players like Ryan, Di Donato and Hipwell appealing around our first pick also.

Not sure whether we would look at Elliot but our back line was pretty solid last year and if we wanted a designated kicker Hartwig is a great kick.

I do feel like clubs have tended to draft local to some degree in the past, but I'm not sure that will be the case going forward and if anything we have favoured Northern Knights girls over the past few years. Not many players get to chose between two clubs the way Campbell did.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
After losing Toogood and Huntington it is hard to imagine the club being happy going into next year with only NMD and Brown as key talls. Whether we are hoping for Austin with our first pick or looking to take someone later in the draft I have no idea. I believe we had a bit to do with Dojiok through our NGV so maybe we would consider her as a tall forward later in the draft.

I think the big problem will be lack of on-field leadership and structure in the forward line which will be exacerbated by Lochland leaving and McLeod a massive question mark going forward. I think we might see Newton play a more prominent forward role next year and she may adopt that forward general role.

We played a very hit up style game plan last year so I can definitely see players like Ryan, Di Donato and Hipwell appealing around our first pick also.

Not sure whether we would look at Elliot but our back line was pretty solid last year and if we wanted a designated kicker Hartwig is a great kick.

I do feel like clubs have tended to draft local to some degree in the past, but I'm not sure that will be the case going forward and if anything we have favoured Northern Knights girls over the past few years. Not many players get to chose between two clubs the way Campbell did.
Austin is at least old enough that she could have her license, which was supposedly part of the issue with Campbell. You have to wonder if there are any regrets on Campbell’s end given that she’d be in a pretty good spot to be getting games if she had been able to make it out to Whitten.

I’m not going to do too much of a hard sell on Elliott, but I think having a backline filled with strong marks and good kicks would be such a huge asset in this league. You know your club better than I do, though. I’m not very good at predicting any of this stuff either.

I definitely like Austin and think she goes somewhere between the Hawks third and seventh pick (9-26). If she winds up at the Dogs, I could easily see her complimenting what you’ve already got.

Whatever happens, I hope it works out for you guys. At least for the moment you’ve got a pretty likable group (we’ll see how I feel when you start winning more though). I also really appreciate you taking the time to put together such an in-depth response.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back