Other DeShaun Watson - Allegations of Improper Behavior

Remove this Banner Ad

With criminal investigation still pending, Deshaun Watson fails to delay testifying in civil case

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2022, 4:30 PM EST

With his criminal case unresolved and his civil cases developing to the point at which it otherwise would be time to question him under oath in a deposition, Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson has a problem. Anything he says while testifying in the civil cases can be used against him in the criminal case.

As a result, the lawyers handling the 22 civil cases went to court on Monday, squabbling over whether Watson’s deposition will be delayed until the criminal case is resolved. Radio host Mike Meltser, an attorney, posted updates from the proceedings on Twitter.

Attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents the women who have sued Watson for sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions, wants to proceed with the questioning of Watson, regardless of the status of the criminal cases. Attorney Rusty Hardin, who represents Watson, wants to delay the process until after the criminal process has ended. Hardin said in court that he expects a grand jury to conclude its work by April 1.

The presiding judge found a middle ground. For those plaintiffs who have filed criminal complaints, Watson will testify after April 1. For all other plaintiffs, he’ll testify when Hardin is available. (Hardin currently is handling a trial in a different case.)

That’s not ideal for Watson. The things he says while being questioned in the cases filed by plaintiffs who haven’t made criminal complaints could be used by the prosecutor in the other cases, if the prosecutor so chooses. Moreover, Watson’s testimony could prompt the prosecutor to exercise the broad discretion inherent to the job in a way that results in an attempt to secure an indictment on one or more felony charges.

The timeline also makes it harder to trade Watson before other teams begin making decisions about who their quarterbacks will be for 2022. The best seats could be filled before the criminal process ends.

There’s one more important point to keep in mind. Watson doesn’t have to settle all of the cases at the same time. He could try to settle the cases that don’t include criminal complaints, if he wants. However, Buzbee and his clients now have even more leverage, since settlement of those claims becomes the ticket to delaying being questioned under oath until April 1, at the earliest.

Deshaun Watson's criminal sexual misconduct case will be presented to a grand jury on Friday.​

Ten women filed criminal complaints against Watson, and three allege sexual assault or attempted sexual assault. It is unclear how many the Houston DA plans to present to the grand jury, but legal scholars seem to believe the proceeding will be more likely than not to result in criminal charges. Then, either a trial or plea agreement will follow. It is an ominous legal development for the 26-year-old. Despite now a year-plus of endless trade chatter, Watson's NFL saga is no closer to resolution than it was in 2021. His legal saga could be just beginning.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Mar 8, 2022, 5:11 PM ET

Heard the other day that Tampa ownership said they will not allow Arians to pursue a trade for Watson. Interesting. First team I've heard that has ruled themselves out publically.

Heard the other day that Tampa ownership said they will not allow Arians to pursue a trade for Watson. Interesting. First team I've heard that has ruled themselves out publically.

Eagles and Seahawks now have multiple 1sts/2nds...has to be one of them?

Eagles and Seahawks now have multiple 1sts/2nds...has to be one of them?

Yea, Seahawks in play now for sure, this is assuming Watson is willing to pay off his accusers, otherwise this isnt finishing anytime soon.

Yea, Seahawks in play now for sure, this is assuming Watson is willing to pay off his accusers, otherwise this isnt finishing anytime soon.
Denver just messed things up for the interested teams. 2 1sts and 2 seconds and a good player or two. Texans will be asking for more than 3 again

Denver just messed things up for the interested teams. 2 1sts and 2 seconds and a good player or two. Texans will be asking for more than 3 again

Russ isn't an pervert mind you, teams could say to the Texans you need to give us a discounted rate for a sex offender. There is a chance he does it again.

Depends on how desperate teams are i suppose.

a bit more info in this one...

Grand jury is poised to hear Deshaun Watson evidence on Friday

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2022, 4:35 PM EST

Nearly a year after the first lawsuit against Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson began, a grand jury is poised to hear evidence in the criminal investigation sparked by 22 civil complaints that ultimately were filed.

Jenny Vrentas and Juliet Macur of the New York Times report that several women who have made criminal complaints against Watson for misconduct during massage therapy sessions have received subpoenas to testify on Friday, according to their lawyer, Tony Buzbee.

Watson’s lawyer, Rusty Hardin, told the Times that he is “delighted” that the grand jury will be addressing the matter on Friday, and that he hopes that a decision will be made that day.

“The free agency time is around the corner and we’ve wanted this decision to be made by then and it looks like they’re going to and I’m welcoming it,” Hardin told the Times. “There’s never been any crime here, no matter if you call it indecent assault or anything else. These are civil matters that belong in the civil courts.”

Watson also is scheduled to testify on Friday in the civil cases filed by plaintiffs who did not file criminal complaints against Watson. Hardin told the Times that Watson will invoke the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination when testifying at a deposition convened by Buzbee.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Buzbee refused to delay the deposition until Monday, given the possibility that the criminal cases will be concluded on Friday. The source also said that Hardin does not plan to seek intervention from the presiding judge to delay the deposition. Previously, the judge gave Hardin a mixed ruling that the depositions can proceed in the cases that don’t involve a criminal complaint, and that he’ll testify later in the cases that have criminal complaints pending.

Obviously, Hardin doesn’t want Watson to testify at all in the civil cases while the possibility of criminal prosecution is pending, since anything Watson says in the civil cases could then be used by the prosecutor within the confines of criminal charges.

It’s unknown whether the prosecutor will be inclined to push for one or more indictments of Watson. As the saying goes, a prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich. This is a product of the one-sided nature of the presentation of evidence. Conversely, a prosecutor can not indict a ham sandwich, if the prosecutor decides during secret proceedings to not press aggressively for charges.

As the quarterback carousel suddenly begins to spin, the possibility of Watson emerging from the current week with no criminal charges could set the stage for a long-awaited trade. The decision of Aaron Rodgers to stay put and the trade of Russell Wilson to the Broncos makes Watson the top available quarterback, for anyone seeking a veteran upgrade.

Think he might have some sort of disorder or disability bothering him to be fair.
Instead of taking him to court they should be supporting him with getting any medication he needs and the other stuff he might need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Deshaun Watson’s criminal cases be resolved today?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2022, 11:37 AM EST

On Friday, a grand jury finally will consider the criminal complaints made last year against Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. Will the criminal process end today?

It ends today only if the grand jury decides not to charge Watson with any crime. Although there’s quiet optimism in Watson’s camp that he won’t be charged because the allegations against him don’t amount to criminal conduct, one or two misdemeanors are possible.

But misdemeanors can be managed, with a quick plea of guilty or no contest, or entry to a diversion program. However, any of those outcomes would virtually guarantee a suspension. The question is whether Watson would fight the misdemeanors in the hopes of avoiding or minimizing league-imposed discipline.

Friday’s outcome will be heavily influenced by the zeal of the prosecutor. The same latitude that allows a prosecutor to indict a ham sandwich (given that the ham sandwich has no lawyer in the room and no right to present contradictory evidence or argument) gives a prosecutor the ability to engineer a decision not to indict a given suspect, if the prosecutor chooses to introduce exculpatory evidence and/or to point to the flaws in the case.

Currently, we don’t know whether and to what extent the prosecutor is determined to indict Watson. But there’s one potential clue in the timing of the presentation of the evidence to the grand jury.

Previously, attorney Rusty Hardin expressed confidence that the grand jury’s work will be completed by April 1. With the grand jury getting the case today, it’s possible that the prosecutor decided to adjust the timetable in an effort to allow Watson to secure professional clarity as the league’s annual trading/free agency period begins.

Putting it another way, if the prosecutor were determined to make things as difficult for Watson as possible, the prosecutor would drag this out, forcing Watson to watch opportunities disappear as his legal status remains unresolved. By moving now, the prosecutor arguably is looking to be fair to Watson.
In turn, this could mean that the prosecutor will be making a fair and balanced presentation of evidence, instead of seizing on the opportunity to get the grand jury to indict Watson on the worst possible charges, regardless of whether an eventual conviction would be likely.

Even then, the grand jury decides whether to proceed with formal charges. That decision could come today, or it could come later.

Deshaun Watson not indicted

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2022, 4:44 PM EST

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson was not indicted after a grand jury heard the sexual assault accusations made against him by female massage therapists, a major legal victory for him and a major step toward Watson getting traded and back on the field.

“After a Harris County grand jury was presented all the evidence and had the opportunity to hear from all witnesses, grand jurors declined to indict Deshaun Watson. Grand jury proceedings are secret by law, so no information related to their inquiry may be disclosed,” the Harris County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.

The grand jury’s decision not to indict Watson doesn’t necessarily mean he couldn’t lose civil lawsuits brought by several massage therapists, and doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be suspended by the NFL. But it does mean that the most serious potential problems for Watson appear to be behind him.

“We have been closely monitoring all developments in the matter which remains under review of the personal conduct policy,” the NFL said in a statement.

Watson did not play at all last year, as he refused to play for the Texans and wanted to be traded, but teams were hesitant to trade for him when he was in potential legal jeopardy. But now it seems likely that he will be traded, perhaps as soon as the start of the league year on Wednesday.

The 26-year-old Watson did not play at all in 2021 but was one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL when he last did play. In 2020 he led the NFL with 4,823 passing yards and an average of 8.9 yards per pass.

Deshaun Watson: I’m ready to get back on the field

Posted by Charean Williams on March 11, 2022, 5:38 PM EST

Deshaun Watson declined to answer questions under oath for the first time in connection with 22 civil lawsuits accusing him of sexual assault and harassment during massage sessions. The Texans quarterback asserted his Fifth Amendment rights to several hundred questions asked by Tony Buzbee, who represents the women who filed suit, during three hours of depositions.

Watson, though, talked to the news media after a Harris County grand jury declined to indict him on criminal charges.

Watson paused for several seconds before issuing a statement.

“It’s definitely a very emotional moment for me,” Watson said, via video from Brooks Kubena of the Houston Chronicle. “I know we’re far from being done of handling what we need to handle on the legal side, but today is definitely a big day. I thank my Lord and savior Jesus Christ for letting the truth be heard. I think everyone knows a part of this is seeing and hearing both sides, and that’s what my point and my team want to do is have a fair slate of us telling our side of the story and letting a conclusion come down to what happened today. That’s what the grand jury decided on. Thank you, and I just thank my Lord and savior. I’m going to keep fighting to rebuild my name and rebuild my appearance in the community. We’re going to continue, on the legal side, I’ll fulfill, handle what we need to handle, but also ready to get back on the field. Been prepping for that and ready to go for that. I thank my family, all my close supporters this past year. I thank my team that’s been behind me, supporting me and keeping me up this past year. Yeah, I’m going to continue to just keep pushing forward and building my name back to where it was if not better.”

Watson said he has not heard from the NFL or the Texans since the grand jury decision.

“Personally, I have not,” Watson said, deferring the question to his agent, David Mulugheta.

The decision by the grand jury on Friday clears the way for the Texans to trade him. A deal could happen quickly as teams were waiting to be certain Watson would not face criminal charges.

Watson, 26, did not play last season as the Texans made him inactive for all 17 games.

Deshaun Watson grand jury wanted to hear from only one alleged victim

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2022, 7:14 PM EST

The grand jury considering the nine criminal complaints against Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson ultimately decided not to charge him in any case. According to Jenny Vrentas and Kevin Draper of the New York Times, the grand jury ultimately heard testimony from only one of the alleged victims.

Per the Times, “several” of the women were present and ready to testify. A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that five of the women were there.

According to PFT’s source, the prosecutor presented evidence regarding all nine claims to the grand jury. The grand jury ultimately wanted to hear directly from one of them.

Two of the cases presented a higher potential of an indictment. None of the nine resulted in the grand jury charging Watson.

Watson’s camp had been quietly optimistic that the allegations against, even if accepted as true, did not amount to crimes. The grand jury apparently agreed.

As we’ve previously explained, indictments often hinge on the zeal applied by the prosecutor. If the prosecutor wants to indict a suspect, it’s not hard to do — since the defendant has no representation in the process. If the prosecutor doesn’t want to indict a suspect, it’s also not hard to do. The prosecutor controls what is and isn’t presented, and a skilled prosecutor can nudge a grand jury in a desired direction.

So why wouldn’t the prosecutor in this case not want an indictment of Watson? Possibly, she truly believed no crimes had been committed. It’s also possible that she believed she would not be able to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt at trial, even if she believed that Watson had crossed the line.

There’s a fundamental difference between factual guilt and legal guilt. Plenty of people are factually guilty, but the court system can’t prove that they are legally guilty. As to Watson, the criminal process has ended. On the civil side, 22 cases remain. In one or more of those cases, a jury eventually could conclude that he violated the legal rights of the women who are suing him, under the much lower legal standard of preponderance of the evidence.

Everyone has been....

Florio nailed it, he only put that spin on the story so Watson's camp tells him who hes going to sign with before anyone else.

Last edited:
* the Browns. In one fell swoop they go from likeable blue collar team to an arsehole team that you won’t watch all season.

They didn’t even get a friggen discount for bringing in a sexual predator.

Imagine not only giving up years of drafts, but making him the best paid player in football and GUARANTEEING HIS FRIGGEN MONEY despite character concerns and the NFL suspension hanging over him, which could be another full season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back