Rumour If the audio doing the rounds of Tom Morris is accurate his career at fox is over

Remove this Banner Ad

One of Tom’s workmates was outed.

Who needs to be responsible for that? Obviously other folks were involved (the person who released the WhatsApp group contents) but it’s Tom who has the duty of care responsibility to a workplace colleague. If he hadn’t taken his actions then this wouldn’t have happened.
Yes, I know, but you were talking about workplace culture and etiquette. My organization is the same, and if anyone spoke like that about someone they’d get walked…

But what Tom said was in a private WhatsApp group, where he thought he could talk freely. That’s the issue we have here, it’s not about workplace etiquette, it’s about blokey males between 25-35 talking s**t about women and objectifying them in a cricket/footy chat.

Will it ever change? Maybe, but society has justified and condoned this behavior amongst males for so long that it’s not just going to go away.

Female poster here, also gay, dropping in to let you know that being outed by someone else would be soul destroying.

Can also confirm that having a guy tell you (or even imply) it's a shame you're not interested due to your sexuality is NOT a compliment but hurtful and offensive. The way Tom spoke about his colleague crossed so many lines. I don't have a gender studies degree but I do have feelings.

Thanks to the few posters on here defending what's right and pointing out that the issue is in fact that this stuff is common. Nice to have allies as it's exhausting sometimes!
Well said! Good to have your experience included in this thread. Not really up to us straight men to define what's a "compliment" or offensive.

I would imagine having your sexuality spoken about like this, in public or private, would be shattering. It's not like he said "she's attractive but attracted to women" which is still questionable. He used some pretty crude terminology that is disrespectful and wrong. The argument "all blokes objectify women" isn't and shouldn't be a justification for facing no consequences. I don't even think that is remotely true either.

As outraged as people are about this because they can… it was actually quite complimentary.

He was only saying unfortunately she was gay in terms of her potential to date her…
Most stupid thing I have read on Big Footy.
Hope the woman involved takes him to court.
Morris is finished. Completely unemployable in many industries as for AFL he is burnt toast. Gone. Over and out.

Most stupid thing I have read on Big Footy.
Hope the woman involved takes him to court.
Morris is finished. Completely unemployable in many industries as for AFL he is burnt toast. Gone. Over and out.
So as a woman, please tell us why its so stupid. Educate us.

I feel stupider for having to explain this, but...

What do you think is the more likely reaction from her? Will she be feeling flattered, or humiliated? Being mentioned here is akin to making some year 9's 'top 10 classmates for spank bank material' list.

This is an industry (like numerous others) where women have historically struggled to be taken seriously and many still do. And here we have this ******* co-worker of hers showing just how much respect he has for her by objectifying her and using what I think could be reasonably considered a homophobic slur to out her. And now it's public. Do that to a co-worker and let it get back to her/him and see how long you last. That's dangerous territory for anyone and when the person you're slurring also has a public profile and they'll also be dragged into the news reports by name you can multiply that by a hundred.

But beyond that, it's the perception. You know, "I/you would be in for sure if not for her sexual orientation". That old toxic masculinity. It's a cliche, but I'd have thought this sort of behaviour is pretty much the definition. With the players in question being 'Moz' and his entourage... it's hard not to laugh.
Women do this in the office all the time. This guy is hot and this one isn't.... ' why do all the hot guys have to be gay'... You hear this all time. Everyone is way too sensitive.

The more concerning part would be liquor license stuff especially if she didn't want her sexuality blasted in public.

Last edited:
Women do this in the office all the time. This guy is hot and this one isn't.... ' why do all the hot guys have to be gay'... You hear this all time. Everyone is way too sensitive.

Do they? Or have you been watching Seinfeld and Sex in the City repeats?

I've worked in offices for over 15 years and never heard a conversation like that at work.

You're shifting the goal posts.

"What do you think is the more likely reaction from her? Will she be feeling flattered, or humiliated? Being mentioned here is akin to making some year 9's 'top 10 classmates for spank bank material' list."

How she feels about being 'outed' or talked about that way is a distinct issue from whether what he said is 'homophobic'.

" And here we have this ******* co-worker of hers showing just how much respect he has for her by objectifying her and using what I think could be reasonably considered a homophobic slur to out her. "

How is he objectifying her? Specifically? He said she is hot, good fun, but (in a crude way) lesbian. Where is the so-called 'objectification'? If you want to really split hairs, well I hate to break it to you, but we all objectify each other in life: 'smart', 'dumb', handsome, ugly, etc. How is that any different than a woman calling a man 'short', or 'poor' etc.? Ohh wait, a woman stating that merely has 'preferences'.

Where is the 'homophobia' (which is defined as a 'hatred' of homosexuals?). Please point to the part of the audio where he expressed his hatred for those homosexual? Are you suggesting his intent was to publicly out her? If so, where is your evidence? A phone call (admittedly a stupid voice message) between a friend's circle hardly qualifies. It was only made public because one of his circle passed it on (and from what has been stating, is probably no longer going to be a 'friend').

"But beyond that, it's the perception. You know, "I/you would be in for sure if not for her sexual orientation". That old toxic masculinity."

WTF. How is it toxic masculinity to not be into someone because they don't have corresponding sexual preferences? If anything, indirectly, that is respect for different sexual preferences. I question whether you have live around a broad variety of people to full understand the meaning of your words.

What is it with people just throwing labels at situations.

Go to bed, Tom.

No sh*t, but if you're still arguing that 18-30yr old men don't say crass things about women in private whatsapp groups/chats, you're living under a rock.

If you have somewhat of a profile as a Sports Media Journo, then you'd be best advised not sending audio clips to your 'mates' carrying on like a complete *******.

As a few people have pointed out, he was clearly just trying to be in with the cool kids. He's 30 and needs to grow the * up.

Ironically, he can probably do that by getting a job at Liquorland.

The irony in all of this is guys like Wayne Carey still have a media job along with Gary Lyon and quite a few others with dubious actions in their past.

Morris was just a pawn, the more important pieces get protected all the time. But the media is just a cess pool, very few clean skins.

Went to Melbourne Grammar so likely his got some connections around him to land a communications/ media role within an organisation, albeit back of house.

Has cost him his dream job which he will never get back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had never heard of this Woman before but she is incredibly beautiful.Morris was basically complimenting her and saying what a waste it was for men when she wsn't interested in them.Someone that outed conversations from a private group has a lot to answer for but Morris and other journalists have no pity for anyone they spill the beans on so what goes around comes around

The irony in all of this is guys like Wayne Carey still have a media job along with Gary Lyon and quite a few others with dubious actions in their past.

Morris was just a pawn, the more important pieces get protected all the time. But the media is just a cess pool, very few clean skins.
Wayne Carey shagged someones Mrs and Brownless and his Mrs had already split before she got together with Lyon.Are you a total prude?

Do they? Or have you been watching Seinfeld and Sex in the City repeats?

I've worked in offices for over 15 years and never heard a conversation like that at work.

They do mate. Obviously they don't blast it to everyone in the office or send emails to all in the building but it happens all the time. If you think this is not happening you have your head in the sand.

I honestly don't see the issue with saying someone is hot or they bat for the other team. As long as your not degrading someone or being homophobic I think it's fine.

Mind you I am not a fan of Tom Morris at all. But I'm trying to remain objective.

Last edited:
If you have somewhat of a profile as a Sports Media Journo, then you'd be best advised not sending audio clips to your 'mates' carrying on like a complete *******.

As a few people have pointed out, he was clearly just trying to be in with the cool kids. He's 30 and needs to grow the fu** up.

Ironically, he can probably do that by getting a job at Liquorland.

I’m tipping that smug smile on his face, that he regularly brings out, is gone 👍

I'm not sure the 'women gather around the office water-cooler to sexually objectify gay men as a standard' is the galaxy brain excuse for Tom Morris' behaviour some think it is..
If we can't talk to our friends about who we think is hot or not then the world has gone mad.

We can also say ' unfortunately she or he is taken' or ' unfortunately they're not inclined that way'.

What we can't do is degrade or out someone who doesn't want to be outed.

If we can't talk to our friends about who we think is hot or not then the world has gone mad.

We can also say ' unfortunately she or he is taken' or ' unfortunately they're not inclined that way'.

If anyone has a well articulated counterpoint to this I'd be happy to hear it & learn.

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective IMO.

If you have a high profile media job you don't record your comments outing a colleague. And then record some more offensive comments to go with it.

Wayne Carey shagged someones Mrs and Brownless and his Mrs had already split before she got together with Lyon.Are you a total prude?
Wayne Carey glassed a woman champ. I don't know what planet you were on at the time.

And Gary Lyon was out of control. If you don't know what he was up than that's your problem. Lyon appears to have genuinely changed for the better, Carey still has the odd story that circulates.

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective IMO.

If you have a high profile media job you don't record your comments outing a colleague. And then record some more offensive comments to go with it.
I completely agree with that. However that's not what I'm arguing. Sending a voice memo via a group chat with 6 friends is all very silly stuff.

The argument that I'm making is that a conversation with friends discussing the attractiveness of a work colleague is commonplace. It is also commonplace to discuss thier sexual preferences.

On both these counts I am happy to be taken to task.

The amount of men weaponising stupidity to justify the objectification of women in this thread is laughable.

You cannot actually record yourself saying your closeted co-worker is a lesbian, has her "liquor license," and is "very good at it too." Morris was fired. That is the correct decision. A woman cannot be expected to work with a man who has drooled over her, outed her sexuality, and talked about her lesbianism in crass, jokey, and degrading terms. Every person deserves a safe workplace and the lady in question would no longer have that safe workplace if Morris continued to work at Fox.

Despite what you all pretend to think is okay, a woman being hot is no excuse to degrade her. Morris's comments were dehumanising. When you dehumanise a woman, you literally fail to see her as a human. Hence the word dehumanise. When you fail to see a woman as a human, you fail to take her work seriously or show her any empathy, care or kindness, like you are all doing now.

You all see Morris as a human, which is why you are all making excuses for him. You do not see his victim as a human, largely in part because women have been dehumanised your whole lives via the same sort of language Morris used to describe his co-worker. That is the issue.

It's really not hard to understand despite how stupid you fellas pretend to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back