Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but in no world would I have taken Phillips.

Even if you miss you can still find another gun mid mid a year or two later. The Swans have a midfield that will be elite in a year or two without even trying.

A quality KPF is like a diamond in horse s**t. You just never expect it.

It’ll take time but Logan is worth the punt either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if you miss you can still find another gun mid mid a year or two later. The Swans have a midfield that will be elite in a year or two without even trying.

A quality KPF is like a diamond in horse sh*t. You just never expect it.

Midfielders are a dime a dozen. If you're ******* up finding a star mid with an early pick you are doing it wrong. They are the safest and easiest talents to spot. Most quality mids will be up and going dominating the comp by year 3.

Its a bit rich making those snide comments about another club's drafting, when each year the Swans are 'gifted' academy top ten selections (in an open draft), such as Braedan Campbell that year.

North are not the only club to pass on a gun KPF btw ? Explain why 10 clubs passed on Harry McKay in the 2015 draft.

Phillips will be fine btw

I think you can manufacture a forward line, the De Goey types are difficult matchups, and having Larkey, Xerri, Edwards then targeting CCJ, they have ample KPF options. As for genuine KPDs, McKay only, as i see Corr more as a 3rd tall

Dunstall often says any good forward can be a good defender because its not that hard.

Midfielders are a dime a dozen. If you're ******* up finding a star mid with an early pick you are doing it wrong. They are the safest and easiest talents to spot. Most quality mids will be up and going dominating the comp by year 3.

Midfielders might be dime a dozen, but there are still levels to it. When you hit a Dusty, Petracca, Bont type it separates you from the comp and wins premierships.

Dunstall often says any good forward can be a good defender because its not that hard.
This is only true for athletic key forwards because not much is asked of some key defenders (still doesn't mean you can throw Buddy Franklin in the backline and he'll be Brian Lake). Even if you have the perfect guy for it like Roughead, it was quite obvious we would rather trade for a replacement rather than take him out of the forwardline.

It's mostly just his disdain for defenders in his era colouring his opinion.

Its a bit rich making those snide comments about another club's drafting, when each year the Swans are 'gifted' academy top ten selections (in an open draft), such as Braedan Campbell that year.

North are not the only club to pass on a gun KPF btw ? Explain why 10 clubs passed on Harry McKay in the 2015 draft.

Yeah when did I say Phillips won’t be fine? Btw is Florent Academy? Rowbottom? Papley? McInerney? All players who will contribute to that elite midfield at different times and none are academy.

The point still stands btw. Elite mids are far, far easier to come across than elite forwards. I’m not saying McDonald will even be anything but it’s worth the punt every day of the week. If we took anyone else I would have been livid.

Yeah when did I say Phillips won’t be fine? Btw is Florent Academy? Rowbottom? Papley? McInerney? All players who will contribute to that elite midfield at different times and none are academy.

The point still stands btw. Elite mids are far, far easier to come across than elite forwards. I’m not saying McDonald will even be anything but it’s worth the punt every day of the week. If we took anyone else I would have been livid.

Still annoying that by beating GC in the last round we set Sydney up perfectly. Gone from struggling to get points for Campbell and Gulden to easily getting them plus McDonald.

Is always an interesting one.
Would you pass up Walsh for Max King?
Would you pass up Darcy Parish for either of Harry McKay or Charlie Curnow?
In the year they 18, it not so easy.
If you have no mids of quality for future the key forward is not always first priority.
I will say I am happy we took the path we did via building from ground zero at end of 2015 via the draft with the key position guys we did.
Weitering, Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow has always given me a lot of hope despite the frustrating coaching choices my club had made until now and some of injury bad lucks Charlie and Harry have experienced. Barely played together.
We then drafted a lot of mids after that.
North can still draft a quality key forward soon.
A North fan would be right to feel dirty about the Blakey thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still annoying that by beating GC in the last round we set Sydney up perfectly. Gone from struggling to get points for Campbell and Gulden to easily getting them plus McDonald.
I was happy to see us win but was also barracking for Sydney like they were the Hawks when they were 3 goals up on Geelong

Gifted? Each year?

Which Academy top ten selection did we take in the most recent draft, out of interest?

They did take another midfielder with their second pick in that draft. Really didn’t make a lot of sense, particularly when in recent drafts they picked up 2x Top 10 midfielders and flagged Stephenson to run through the midfield as well.

Glaringly obvious their weakness are a key forward and back. They had a choice of either extremely highly rated players…

Yeah, I think Phillips will be fine, as will McDonald. I think the Roos wanted to solidify the midfield with high end mids (I think will can get there ). There are multiple holes in the list and realistically they haven’t filled them yet and in a complete rebuild that’s probably normal.

But I completely agree with the comment about the academy picks and the ability to get multiple top ten picks is an unfair advantage

You may end up not regretting it at all. McDonald has shown glimpses but not much else.

If he does make it, the game will be better for it and isn’t that all that matters in the end?

Yeah, I think Phillips will be fine, as will McDonald. I think the Roos wanted to solidify the midfield with high end mids (I think will can get there ). There are multiple holes in the list and realistically they haven’t filled them yet and in a complete rebuild that’s probably normal.

But I completely agree with the comment about the academy picks and the ability to get multiple top ten picks is an unfair advantage

The game is littered with unfair advantages. That’s just one that goes our way and we’re literally paying for it.

The game is littered with unfair advantages. That’s just one that goes our way and we’re literally paying for it.

It’s not against the swans as such but it’s as an advantage it’s probably way over the top.

What did you mean by literally paying for it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back