MRP / Trib. How many Weeks for Rioli?

Remove this Banner Ad

His right arm knocks the ball clear, seems like a spoil to me

Yeah see the thing is most players attempting to spoil the ball with their arm use their arm and fist to do it rather than using Rioli’s revolutionary method of keeping his upper and lower arm at his side.

‘I was trying to bowl someone at cricket today and I succeeded.’
‘Oh that’s great, good reward for bowling at the stumps.’
‘Yeah it was short and wide and he hit it into his own chest and it dribbled onto the stumps.’

That’s the cricketing equivalent of what you’ve just claimed.

He wasn’t in the act of taking the mark but he wasn’t there in the vicinity to play Chinese checkers. He was obviously chasing the mark but it doesn’t absolve him of the responsibility of minimising risk of injury to another player if he can’t get to it

Pretty sure the tribunal found he was contesting the mark.

If he wasnt he'd get weeks like Robinson.

That is the sum of it.

To be given weeks you need to be pretty certain he wasnt attempting to mark. And that is why he didn't get weeks.

Yeah see the thing is most players attempting to spoil the ball with their arm use their arm and fist to do it rather than using Rioli’s revolutionary method of keeping his upper and lower arm at his side.

‘I was trying to bowl someone at cricket today and I succeeded.’
‘Oh that’s great, good reward for bowling at the stumps.’
‘Yeah it was short and wide and he hit it into his own chest and it dribbled onto the stumps.’

That’s the cricketing equivalent of what you’ve just claimed.

Probably more solid than your argument.

He was in a contest but not really in a contest because there was no attempt to spoil, even though the ball hit his arm and came loose.

Also he should've tried to minimise injury to the other player, who wasn't injured

Pretty sure the tribunal found he was contesting the mark.

If he wasnt he'd get weeks like Robinson.

That is the sum of it.

To be given weeks you need to be pretty certain he wasnt attempting to mark. And that is why he didn't get weeks.

Yes and the tribunal always gets it right, hence 1/18th of league fandom agree with them in this case

Probably more solid than your argument.

He was in a contest but not really in a contest because there was no attempt to spoil, even though the ball hit his arm and came loose.

Also he should've tried to minimise injury to the other player, who wasn't injured

Just because the other player didn’t get injured doesn’t mean you take no measures to ensure that they don’t get injured in the first place.

I am the king of the ‘accidents happen in footy/he can’t disappear/what else is he supposed to do’ advocates in footy, both AFL and NRL.

I can’t fathom how this could get off as Robinson doesn’t.

I can’t find a single logical explanation
Because Robinson should have also gotten off. He was the one who got ran into.

What else does anyone think he was contesting? the Price is F***ing Right?

Guys who sling opponents are contesting the tackle. Guys who hip and shoulder the player at ground level are contesting the ball. What the f*** does that matter? No one is saying he charged off the interchange bench to flatten someone and didn’t realise that the ball was in the same vicinity. Of course he was contesting the mark. How does that exonerate him?
Yes, let's put value the opinions of nobodies on footy forums over the experts who arrived at the correct decision, especially the legal implications they need to consider when arriving at such a judgement.

Looking seriously like the AFL need to add another parameter to appeal under.....

‘The Tribunal are a pack of geese and got it wrong’ provision.

This provision is used when the only technicality that has been breached is the minimum IQ of the tribunal members.

Looking seriously like the AFL need to add another parameter for appealing -

‘The Tribunal are a pack of geese and got it wrong’ provision.

This provision is used when the only technicality that has been breached is the minimum IQ of the tribunal members.

They already have that one: “the decision of the tribunal is so unreasonable that no tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it.”

The AFL decided the chances of appealing successfully under the 'pack of geese' provision were low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They already have that one: “the decision of the tribunal is so unreasonable that no tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it.”

The AFL decided the chances of appealing successfully under the 'pack of geese' provision were low.

I don’t think the Tribunal decision was such that ‘no tribunal acting reasonably’ could have made it - I just think MOST tribunals wouldn’t be that dim......and would have seen he closed up and took his eyes off the ball.

Only a pack of geese would overlook that.

Yes, let's put value the opinions of nobodies on footy forums over the experts who arrived at the correct decision, especially the legal implications they need to consider when arriving at such a judgement.

Yes tribunals always get everything right and are calculator-like in their accuracy.

Evidenced by the AFL coming out 17 minutes ago announcing that the Tribunal got it wrong.

No, the appropriate comparison would be that kicking in football is not illegal. Kicking someone is.

Marking and jumping to take said mark is not illegal. Making reckless avoidable contact with the head is illegal.

Wouldnt Rowell running back with the flight of the ball be regarded as reckless?

Wouldnt Rowell running back with the flight of the ball be regarded as reckless?

Only if he can see any danger. If he was running with the flight of the ball and look forwards then yes he’d have a reason to be able to make at least some observation on what is in front of him but as it was he’s looking directly upwards so pinning him for not being able to look in two directions at once and literally making no movement towards anything but the ball at any stage would be harsh I would think

UNDERSTAND. The tribunal found that Rioli was making a legitimate attempt to mark, in that

• He had his eyes on the ball
  • He had his arms outstretched

I would suggest their concentration span didn’t stretch to the last few frames.

Why not? If you are going to do that and put yourself in harms way then the outcome should be on you. Just ban running back with the flight of the ball. This is how ridiculous this is all becoming.
For me neither the Rioli or Robinson invidents needed to be looked at.
The AFL however look at it differently as they slowly destroy the sport. Based on their Auskick Football League rules both players should be wiped out for years.

UNDERSTAND. The tribunal found that Rioli was making a legitimate attempt to mark, in that

• He had his eyes on the ball
  • He had his arms outstretched

I would suggest their concentration span didn’t stretch to the last few frames.
There's your problem, you're thinking in terms of frames, you need to wrap your head around the fact these sorts of incidents happen in seconds. Willie was already committed to the contest before he noticed Rowell and turned his body. The only other alternative was run in head first and instead of Rowell being bumped in the chest/shoulder region we probably have 2 guys with concussion from a head clash.

Only if he can see any danger. If he was running with the flight of the ball and look forwards then yes he’d have a reason to be able to make at least some observation on what is in front of him but as it was he’s looking directly upwards so pinning him for not being able to look in two directions at once and literally making no movement towards anything but the ball at any stage would be harsh I would think

Agree, but if you are asking Rioli in a split second to look and change his mind then so you should be asking Rowell to do the same. Doesn’t Rowell also have a duty of care to his opponents? Rioli as he was running at the ball had every right to try and mark it, if he had not of braced I have no doubt a knee could of possibly hit Rowell in the face causing possible massive damage. Rowell on the other hand was running back with the flight of the ball, like you said he is doing so with no awareness of what is coming. That’s not courage that is stupidity and no awareness.
I found this quite a difficult one, my love for the sport as it once was tells me it’s a nothing incident. My acknowledgment of the concussion world accepts we must be hard on acts that are against the laws of the sport and have a possibility to hurt someone.
I genuinely think Rioli had a right to contest for the mark, I also genuinely think by him turning and braving he saved Rowell from being seriously hurt.
That is not my Eagles hat on, I Would say the same about any player from any club in this circumstance.
You know as well as I do that slow motion doesn’t happen for the players, split second stuff is exactly as it sounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back