Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Craig Tyzzer likely getting a few calls. Should have no trouble finding a new job. Could nearly name his own price.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Shes doing a full press conference tomorrow, really hope we get a clearer picture of what her thinking is.

I thought she would retire at around 28/29, having banked another few grand slam titles but this just seems crazy still.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Probably wants to start a family and then go back to cricket or footy for a bit of fun.

Looks likes a person who'd love being in a team environment.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
The 2022 AO in hindsight is now looking like the peak tournament of Tennis us Aussies will witness for a long time to come - Ash Barty breaking the local AO Grand Slam drought, Kyrgios and Kokkinakis with the doubles and that scintillating 5-set wonder between Nadal and Medvedev.

In terms of her retirement? Surprising but people are motivated by different things. Don't compare every Slam winner to Williams, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal etc - those players are absolutely killers and chasing as many titles and success their bodies allow. Remember when Djokovic blew a fuse after losing at the Olympics because he wouldn't get his 'Golden Slam' - Barty just isn't motivated like that.

The goal for any tennis player is to win any slam - she did that by nabbing the French Open. She did that. Then she finally took Wimbledon - the mecca of any player's dream, she did that too. And then for good measure she won on her home turf, something that hadn't been done since the Bee Gees were releasing disco-phresh.

Maybe she doesn't need to keep amassing as many titles as possible to take it up to the best? Maybe she doesn't want to go on like that into her 30's until her body breaks down. She's an earnest, humble individual and her motivations are clearly varied and perhaps she'd prefer to spend the peak of her life accomplish goals in different areas - sporting or otherwise.

With all that said her retirement will make watching Grand Slams f'n dull from now on.

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
A true Australian! Lowest profile world no 1 in living memory, can now enjoy her final years in retirement, lounging on a couch watching her beloved Tigers.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
The 2022 AO in hindsight is now looking like the peak tournament of Tennis us Aussies will witness for a long time to come - Ash Barty breaking the local AO Grand Slam drought, Kyrgios and Kokkinakis with the doubles and that scintillating 5-set wonder between Nadal and Medvedev.
Not to mention all the drama around Novak Novax!!! And Nadal becoming the undisputed GOAT with the most grand slams EVER!!!
And Barty being surprised by whoever it was that presented the cup!!!

Absolutely unreal tournament. You have to give it to Craig Tilley, who is a friend of mine by the way. Some people here said he should retire or leave or quit or will be fired lol. Shows how much some people know!

Probably the greatest AO of all time IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And just a couple of months before a Federal election. Is Politics in her future?;)

Congrats Ash on a wonderful career and all the best for the future.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Not to mention all the drama around Novak Novax!!! And Nadal becoming the undisputed GOAT with the most grand slams EVER!!!
And Barty being surprised by whoever it was that presented the cup!!!

Absolutely unreal tournament. You have to give it to Craig Tilley, who is a friend of mine by the way. Some people here said he should retire or leave or quit or will be fired lol. Shows how much some people know!

Probably the greatest AO of all time IMO.

Yeah definitely the greatest AO of all time.

The fact Rafa got the all time grand slam record on Australian soil is the greatest thing ever. this AO will be talked about for years

May 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Feel like the more sensible option for Ash at this stage would have been to say "I'm going to take 12 months out of the game and assess after that".
Maybe? But really who gives a s**t? She's hardly under oath or anything, she's just decided she wants to stop playing pro tennis. If she changes her mind and decides to make a return in a year or two then 99.99% of people will be totally stoked to see her play again while a few weirdos will probably get upset that she went back on her retirement and they'll get mocked for being stupid.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Surprised but not shocked to hear this. Good on her for going out on her own terms and I wish her all the best with the next phase of her life. I will definitely miss watching her play but of course respect her decision. She was all class both on and off the court and I admired the way she played the game on her own terms and had such a mature approach to the whole thing. Farewell Ash, you will be missed.

I wondered if she was having a baby too.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I guess everyone has the right to retire when they see fit but this is a shock none the less. Last year Ash Barty didn't play many tournaments between Wimbeldon and the Australian Open. I put it down to the pandemic but there may have been more to it than that. The life of a tournament professional is probably not the jet setting high life many of us think it is as it cannot be easy living on the road for years on end.

The money is good though and Ash Barty must have pertty sound reasons for giving it all up.

WhatAFool89

Cancelled
Mar 20, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
This news today completely floored me.

Obviously, we've already seen that in her relatively short adult life, she's been confident to change direction, and move on to new challenges. And understandably, her future pursuits may be more concentrated towards her personal and family life, and that is admirable. I reckon it has been grossly rude and disrespectful from the people who are judging her, and making definitive assumptions about her, or what her actual intentions might be.

... The shock to me, has been more along the lines of how after all her hard work to reach the pinnacle of tennis, she has the courage to let it go and walk away... We rarely see champions willingly walk away from their sport prematurely, at or near the top. But we almost constantly see examples of sporting champions who cannot or will not let go.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
I guess the world has gone crazy and it seems Ash wants to get off to spend more time with her family and maybe start her own family.
Maybe the travel bubble and restrictions was too much to cope with and being away for so long last year.
I didn't think she would play til she reached 30 but I thought at least another couple of years. She still had so much more to accomplish, defending her Wimbledon title for one. A new Wimbledon champ this year.
I wonder if her partner Gary will be able to turn pro golfer now. Maybe Ash is going to be his caddy, I think we'll see Ash in a few years in a different sport.
The WTA won't be happy but the players will be as they won't have to face her slice anymore. Swiatek to take over No 1 spot before French Open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back