Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Third Round - Australia V Japan/Saudi Arabia

Remove this Banner Ad

Well im not writing off Australias chances. In a 1 cup tie knock out anything can happen.

The Asia qualifier also happens to be a 1 knock off match.

Our chances of qualifying right now for 2026 world cup is about a 1 in 4 chance in an ideal world.
Both 3rd place Asian teams play one off game. Then 6 days later, okay 5th place CONEMBOL. Both at Doha

Agree with (I think dwwaino ) in regards to Japan. As an Asian team we should be getting behind them, they don't play like a lot of other Asian teams (read Middle East) where they carry on, they play hard and fair and I respect the hell out of that. I hope they do well in the World Cup because Asian success is good for us all.
100%
Saudi Arabia play carry on, weak football that then get pumped in the World Cup group stage .

Thought it was hilarious about Wilkshire sooking over Maclaren getting married instead of travelling to Saudi Arabia to sit on the bench while Arnold plays long ball football to Mitchell Duke.

Well im not writing off Australias chances. In a 1 cup tie knock out anything can happen.

The Asia qualifier also happens to be a 1 knock off match.

Our chances of qualifying right now for 2026 world cup is about a 1 in 4 chance in an ideal world.
2026 will have 48 teams instead of 32, so if we don't qualify we're seriously in a world of s**t.

Yeah I didn’t realise the play offs were neutral in Doha and basically sudden death match.

Tbh it probably suits our shitty style where we may strike our luck with a 0-0 draw and win on pens.
We’ve barely scored in the past 5 games and this wont change in a sudden death game.

Not the time for the s**t eating grin Arnold.

He knows he can say what he likes to the press because he has the job as long as he wants it. The board don't have the cojones to give him the arse.

Thompson and Milligan continuing to dribble s**t. Arnold gave the interview of a man comfortable in his role who knows he is under no pressure whatsoever. None of this man against the world rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Popovic?! :sick:

All due respect to him, but he would be no better than Arnold. There is no local coach good enough to get Australia to where we want them to be.

Popovic?! :sick:

All due respect to him, but he would be no better than Arnold. There is no local coach good enough to get Australia to where we want them to be.
It not just the coach we don't have any talent like at all, development in this country has been god awful

What coach in their right mind would look at our available playing stocks and think , yep i can take them to a world cup . We appear to have no identifiable playing style , tonite we looked like a team of individuals that had just met each other in the rooms. So many times we just go backwards and sideways , unlike the Japanese who broke with speed and looked like a unit. One game closer to Arnold getting the flick .

There is zero chance FFA cares enough to replace Arnold for the playoffs.
Only chance we have is for a rebuild with a new coach if we fail to make the WC.
If we make the WC with Arnold at the helm, he'll be lauded for pulling off a miracle...

Let's be real here...

The Australian coach is reported to have covid, and then proceeds takes his dog for a walk in Sydney

Yeah let's face it we don't have a genius on our hands here.
Graham Arnold's dog would walk into that socceroos starting XI, worst Australian side I have seen since the early 80's. WTF has happened to Australian football?

A few points.

a) The performance tonight was poor, but expected. We are not a good side. Japan are a good side.

b) I’m not a fan of Arnold and agree he needs to go. But the problems run much deeper than him. Our development is a disgrace has been for years.

You can point the finger at Arnold - I am too - but FFA should take a good hard look at themselves as well.

c) Tonight’s crowd was pathetic. Not usually a fan of Andy Harper but he nailed it post game saying FFA should have a good hard look at themselves with this as well.

World Cup Qualification on the line, against a rival and good team, at a venue that’s hosted 80K for key Socceroos games, and we get 41K?

Pathetic. And I don’t wanna hear about the rain. In 2013 when Jesus Kennedy scored that goal against Iraq, it pissed down all night and the place was sold out.

d) Arnold tonight was shocking. Not starting McLaren, bringing on McLaren with about 5 minutes left, subbing on Fornaroli ahead of McLaren - my heart sank at each of them.

e) Japan are a very good side, and ever since that glorious afternoon in Kaiserslautern in 2006, they’ve pretty much owned our asses.

We call them our biggest rival and hype up the rivalry but it may actually be a better rivalry if we occasionally won.

f) We won’t qualify for Qatar.

I give us at best a 40% shot against the 3rd placed team from the other group and if we get through that, about a 2% chance against the South Americans.

As much as it will hurt not making the World Cup, it could be a blessing in disguise if we use the chance to clean Out the dead wood and thoroughly review and change everything about our development, our youth system and our coaching.

A very disappointing but unfortunately expected outcome tonight.

I actually forgot this game was on despite getting a reminder on my way home. I'm no soccer fan so my focus was on the AFL but there was a time where I would have had full focus on the socceroos. I just don't have any interest in this side, none of the players really inspire. Maybe I'll tune in when it comes to the play off's but there's no way we beat 5th best south American team. Regardless even if we miraculously make it past all the hurdles being in the world cup would be a waste of time. Felt the same in 2018, at least in 2014 was exciting.

What an utterly depressingly negative thread.

We were outplayed by the better team last night. Reality check: we were without a full team of 1st team picks going into camp. Not many international teams win in those circumstances. We were unable to avoid likely defeat given the scenario.

Hrustic was a marvel and almost single handedly carried us across the line. He is our best player now by a margin. Despite all the rubbish against him Duke was pretty good as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back