Why do commentators and media people wear suits?

Remove this Banner Ad

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
It's just football. They are literally just sitting around talking about football with their mates. Does anyone here really care if these guys are wearing a suit? It's like they are getting all dressed up and trying to look professional when most of them don't even know anything about half the league. You can't dress people like Garry Lyon and Jono Brown up in a suit and expect me to take them seriously, as though they are sophisticated intellectuals discussing how to split an atom. Jono Brown can't even differentiate 'me' from 'my' for goodness sake. And that's okay! It's Browny! And he's talking about football.
Stick a few beers in front of them and get them to commentate from a sofa, see what comes out. I'd tune in for that. This posh pseudo intellectual crap is so weird. Talking about it like it's super serious stuff and it's really important who has the best 'zone defence'.... 🙄

Wasn't a fan of the casual jeans/polo look that C7 went for with the BBL. Just looked a little "off". Stick to the suits.

Nah don’t agree with this, casual looking commentators/presenters subconsciously makes you downplay the importance of the game in your own head. Keep the suits and at least the illusion of taking it seriously I reckon

Perhaps they wear suits because if they don’t they‘ll be laughed at like Channel 10 were after the first pre-season comp game 10 televised in 2002 where no one wore ties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ch 7 comms wear suits. Fox wear jeans or chinos with jackets. The other night Ch 7 comms wore suits with white business shirts untucked. Looked ridiculous.

I’d prefer them to look professional. They aren’t just sitting around talking to mates. They are presenting to a national audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back