Rules Toby Green 14 weeks suspended - a couple more will he be deregistered?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
So my 17yr old who two years ago never picked up a footy is now addicted. Playing with mates, playing fantasy and watching multiple games every week....more than once. Its like he was body snatched and replaced with an AFL Rain Man who cant get enough.

So Liam's random AFL question this week was about Toby Green sitting on 14 weeks suspension. tTe rule is you get suspended for 16 weeks in your career its an automatic deregistration. Cannot play AFL anywhere.

Toby average 2.8 games a season.

He is on seriously thin ice.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Not applied at AFL level mate.

Edit: I vaguely remember there being a discussion on this very topic when Toby committed the offense, but can't find any hard evidence to suggest this is the case so don't quote me on it just yet!
Something along the lines of it being being mainly to stop thugs continuing to play the sport in suburban leagues / stopping them from re-registering in different leagues etc.

Last edited:

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
3.2.2 Criteria for Deregistration

(a) Players i) Players shall be automatically deregistered and not allowed further registration with the same or another Club or League (except in accordance with section 3.3) if the Player has served a combined total of sixteen (16) matches Suspension (or greater) as a Player or Official (including as a Player during the Player’s AFL Competition career, subject to section 3.2.2(c) below) as a result of Reportable Offences only. For the avoidance of doubt, a Player who is deregistered will also not be allowed to act as an Official in the same or another League or in any Competition.

Would appear that it does include AFL time?

From here:

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...-Official-Deregistration-Policy-July-2021.pdf

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
3.2.2 Criteria for Deregistration

(a) Players i) Players shall be automatically deregistered and not allowed further registration with the same or another Club or League (except in accordance with section 3.3) if the Player has served a combined total of sixteen (16) matches Suspension (or greater) as a Player or Official (including as a Player during the Player’s AFL Competition career, subject to section 3.2.2(c) below) as a result of Reportable Offences only. For the avoidance of doubt, a Player who is deregistered will also not be allowed to act as an Official in the same or another League or in any Competition.

Would appear that it does include AFL time?

From here:

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...-Official-Deregistration-Policy-July-2021.pdf
That's what threw me as it seems reasonably clear, but could've sworn in another thread it somehow didn't apply to AFL, or at least there was some discretion etc. Either that or I had a weird dream about reading it in a thread. :think:

That's what threw me as it seems reasonably clear, but could've sworn in another thread it somehow didn't apply to AFL, or at least there was some discretion etc. Either that or I had a weird dream about reading it in a thread. :think:

I believe there was some provision where a one-week suspension in the AFL was deemed 0.5 weeks in relation to this rule. However that's only a vague recollection.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I believe there was some provision where a one-week suspension in the AFL was deemed 0.5 weeks in relation to this rule. However that's only a vague recollection.
There was stuff like that for when someone like Barry Hall retired (could be another player) that had a long list of priors. And yeah they halved AFL suspensions so that they could play down at the local level

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
When I googled this today I saw another reference saying that AFL players can carry a 25% discount into their community playing time.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
So my 17yr old who two years ago never picked up a footy is now addicted. Playing with mates, playing fantasy and watching multiple games every week....more than once. Its like he was body snatched and replaced with an AFL Rain Man who cant get enough.

So Liam's random AFL question this week was about Toby Green sitting on 14 weeks suspension. tTe rule is you get suspended for 16 weeks in your career its an automatic deregistration. Cannot play AFL anywhere.

Toby average 2.8 games a season.

He is on seriously thin ice.
I take it by “AFL” you mean Aussie Rules? We play Aussie Rules, AFL is a league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
I thought the same, but that it could affect him if he wants to play local footy post AFL. Didn’t something similar happen to a Saints player 10 years ago?

Patronus

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Storm
It was 50% reduction but in 2018 they changed it and it is now 25% reduction from that year.

So he would lose 50% from games before 2018 he was suspended and 25% after

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes - but they must be for on-field infractions. Any penalty for betting on his own games, taking PEDs, hitting women and serving club sanctioned suspensions don’t count towards a lifetime accumulation deregistration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back