Shield Team Of The Year 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

So, with H&A finished I decided to do this. A lot will be based on stats, remember:

1. Usman Khawaja (529 runs, ave 58.77, 2x100, 3x50). A great year for the Queensland captain, earning his test recall. His two tons put him in the forefront of the selectors minds and he thoroughly deserves this after having the highest average of anyone in the competition.
2. Henry Hunt (601 runs, ave 42.92, 3x100, 1x50). A mixed year for Hunt, however after finishing with more runs than anyone other opener he gets to be the opening bat for the TOTY for me, as well as having the most centuries in the comp.
3. Peter Handscomb (629 runs, ave 47.46, 2x100, 2x50, c). Leading run scorer for the competition, Handscomb was excellent for the Vics. Two centuries including one huge one to make sure the game against South Australia was a draw made sure he's captaining this side.
4. Nic Maddinson (525 runs, ave 58.33, 2x100, 2x50). Maddinson since moving to Victoria has been fantastic. I'm not sure if I can say any more. Seriously. Another TOTY showing for the classy left hander.
5. Hilton Cartwright (548 runs, ave 45.66, 2x100, 2x50). After his career being at a crossroads before this year, Cartwright really settled himself as a part of WA's top 7, moving between 4 and 6 the entire year, it didn't deter him as he made more runs for his state than anyone else.
6. Jordan Silk (514 runs, ave 57.11, 1x100, 3x50). Silk was very consistent for the Tasmanians this season, rarely failing and that was the main reason he had such a high average, the move down the order to accomodate Tim Ward and Caleb Jewell was a successful one for the vice captain.
7. Josh Philippe (478 runs, ave 43.45, 1x100, 3x50, 34 dismissals, ave 3.1/inn, +). Philippe had his most consistent season to date keeping for the West Aussies, taking the gloves from the second game onwards. Here's hoping he uses this year to push on next season.
8. Jhye Richardson (23 wickets, ave 13.43, SR 33.7, ER 2.38, 1x5, 0x10). I mean, look at that average. Look at that strike rate. That economy rate. All in four games. He's a star and Victoria will be hoping that he doesn't regain fitness for the final as he'll likely tear through them.
9. Mark Steketee (32 wickets, ave 17.93, SR 39.2, ER 2.74, 2x5, 1x10). The leading wicket taker for the competition, Steketee has become a very consistent player for Queensland, using his bounce and seam to take plenty of wickets at a ridiculously good average too.
10. Chris Tremain (24 wickets, ave 15.95, SR 42.6, ER 2.24, 1x5, 0x10). What a come back for the New South Welshman. Tremain has bowled his heart out for the Blues again this year after somehow not getting a game for them last year.
11. Scott Boland (21 wickets, ave 15.66, SR 46.4, ER 2.02, 1x5, 0x10). This guy had some summer. 21 wickets in 4 games is nothing to sneeze at, especially at an average as low as 15, and an unbelievable economy rate of 2.02 just sums up his impact this season.

Without the blurb:

Khawaja
Hunt
Handscomb (c)
Maddinson
Cartwright
Silk
Philippe (+)
Richardson (1)
Steketee
Tremain
Boland (2)

Did any spinners actually have a decent record this season?
Kuhnemann had 25 wickets at 31. Holland 18 at 27. Neither anywhere good enough to push out any of the quicks.

That is a strong X1. If I was to make one alteration perhaps Ward for Silk. Both dropped off after the resumption but the Sydney born Tassie opener did lead the field end of the early rounds.
Ward averaged 38. Silk 57. Massive difference in average, plus there were two openers clearly better than Ward. The most vulnerable one of that XI is Cartwright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back