The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Sydney had a number of sniping players which the umps saw, I thought Marra should have got a free for his third goal, and one of the players Warner I think is just an out and out dirty player. He would have given away five or six free kicks on his own.

Simple if you don’t like giving away free kicks teach your players discipline. At least your coach was honest in his assessment of the game.

If Warner played for a Vic club he’d be gushed all over.

Horse clearly was annoyed by the standard of officiating.

I didn´t think we would ever see the 2016 Grand Final treatment again...

But here we are again.

Sadly it is not just my mob, but a weekly event.

Honest from everyone.

What’s tonight’s umpiring worth in terms of score for the WB?

I think at least 6 goals
Very difficult to quantify because it changes the way both teams play.

The team getting the bias for them can be more aggressive in their tackles, take more time with the ball in hand, etc.

Meanwhile the team with the bias against goes into their shells, they know they can't afford to get tackled with the ball (prior opportunity or otherwise), they shy away from tackles, so on and so forth.

From quarter time to three quarter time, I'd say the difference was about 6-8 goals, but this really is speculative.

It could be even worse than that.

Like I said, it changes the way both teams play, the entire dynamic of the game is altered.

I didn´t think we would ever see the 2016 Grand Final treatment again...

But here we are again.
I was thinking the same thing while watching tonight.

A Bulldog dropped the ball in D50, might have been Wallis, got tackled while attempting to kick, ball spilled out right in front of the umpire.

The ball did not touch the player's foot. Obvious and blatant incorrect disposal, tackler ought to be rewarded.

'Play on'.

If this were a one-off, who cares?

But it was after the Dogs 17-3 run of free kicks after quarter time.

giphy.gif

If it's clearly a systemic issue then why are they 1-2 and not 3-0 with their unbelievable +34FK. Have you ever thought that maybe free kick counts don't mean s**t?
Getting a Free Kick is exactly the same as winning a contest.

Name a coach, or anyone with even half a clue, that doesn't think they'll fare better on the scoreboard if they're winning more contests than their opponent?

No I'm happy to accept what you're saying for a moment, but are the free kicks there or not? Are the umpires correct in making the calls and if they aren't, why is it our integrity that must be questioned?
The way the AFL rules are written, and interpreted, pretty much means it's impossible for an umpire to make a mistake.

You could justify every single decision and every single non-decision if you try hard enough.

You could 200 Free Kicks each match, or none - and be technically correct either way.

Same with the NBA and calling fouls. Almost every single play involves a foul. So when they randomly pluck an outrageous one out and everyone complains - even though they haven't called fouls that soft all year, technically the ref was actually correct.

Last year the Bulldogs were +79 in FK differential. They are already +34 this year. Its horrific.

Looking at the stats though, it kinda torpedoes the rhetoric of the deluded dogs supporters who suggest its solely because they know how to win frees.....according to the stats its equally to do with the complete lack of frees called against them. last year they had 458 FK for and only 379 free kicks called against them ....the next team (Geelong) had a FK diff of +33 with 457 FK for and 424 against.

#VFLscript

Definitely brought back memories of the 2016 Grand Final corruption.

It was eerily similar. I believe in the 16 GF we didn't get a free kick for well over 2 qtrs through the middle of the game, with plenty going the dogs way. We were slow early and then came home strong, with the whistle bring the script back on track towards the last 5 minutes to ensure the win.

#VFLscript

One of the tweets published in the fox sports article from a comedian ... "If only I could find somebody to love me like the umps love the bulldogs".

I always hated the swans, but changed my tune and felt for them after the 2016 grand final disgrace. Watching last night was just a joke. Bulldogs deserved to win, but the swans were umpired out of the game for long periods of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the tweets published in the fox sports article from a comedian ... "If only I could find somebody to love me like the umps love the bulldogs".

I always hated the swans, but changed my tune and felt for them after the 2016 grand final disgrace. Watching last night was just a joke. Bulldogs deserved to win, but the swans were umpired out of the game for long periods of it.

I completely take the poor kicking out of it because poor kicking isn't bad luck, its s**t lame footy. The question is....even if we get the result that feels reasonable.....does it matter how we got to it?

I love how people say the WB deserve to even though the Swans were umpired out of it. It was an 11 point game a game where countless frees changed the momentum and gifted Sydney goals.

I love how people say the WB deserve to even though the Swans were umpired out of it. It was an 11 point game a game where countless frees changed the momentum and gifted Sydney goals.

Its as if they feel aggrieved that the goal umpires didn't call more goals for them...such bad luck Doggies.

Last year the Bulldogs were +79 in FK differential. They are already +34 this year. Its horrific.

Looking at the stats though, it kinda torpedoes the rhetoric of the deluded dogs supporters who suggest its solely because they know how to win frees.....according to the stats its equally to do with the complete lack of frees called against them. last year they had 458 FK for and only 379 free kicks called against them ....the next team (Geelong) had a FK diff of +33 with 457 FK for and 424 against.

#VFLscript

That's a stupid assertion that it's a VFL script.

WB already had a decent + free kick total before this latest game.

Guess where the 2 teams they played in the first two rounds came from?

You're not the only team copping it against them.

The free against Gulden inside 50 was the one that sent me overboard, what an earth was that for? I was convinced when the whistle went that he was the one getting the free kick.

Dogs win inside 50s 59-49, tackles 65-49, clearances 41-32, less clangers 51-66. We played a side who kicked 1 goal to half time, didn't score in the 2nd quarter and we're (again) talking about the umpires. Dogs should have won by 40 if we'd taken our chances. Swans 1st half were terrible, that's why they lost.
Clangers include free kicks against

Adelaide was on the receiving end last week, feel sorry for Swans.

Time to shine the spotlight on the umpiring, a Bigfooty forum that posts video of bad decisions and starts to highlight this part of footy is having. Players have shockers but I tell you the umpiring department hasn't started the year well
How’d you go in rd 1 at home?
32-16
freo has never got 30+ frees in a game.
Dogs have 2 of 3 games this year.

The only thing that shits me is
Sonny is a diver media put it in the spotlight a few years ago now the umps don’t give him a free if his coat hangered.
Others Daniher weightman … the media have put them under the spotlight but yet the umps still give them those tit for tat frees that can be justified through technics of rules but aren’t payed to the other 100 fwds in the game.
The treatment of Sonny is bad these days but if that’s the path the umps want to take to all excenuaters i could live with.
Is it the club they play for or their appearance I cant
put my finger on it!

The only thing that shits me is
Sonny is a diver media put it in the spotlight a few years ago now the umps don’t give him a free if his coat hangered.
Others Daniher weightman … the media have put them under the spotlight but yet the umps still give them those tit for tat frees that can be justified through technics of rules but aren’t payed to the other 100 fwds in the game.
The treatment of Sonny is bad these days but if that’s the path the umps want to take to all excenuaters i could live with.
Is it the club they play for or their appearance I can put my finger on it!
Then why are you asking?

I thought Sydney had a number of sniping players which the umps saw, I thought Marra should have got a free for his third goal, and one of the players Warner I think is just an out and out dirty player. He would have given away five or six free kicks on his own.

Simple if you don’t like giving away free kicks teach your players discipline. At least your coach was honest in his assessment of the game.
Opposition coaches can't teach their own players on how to prevent the Dogs players from staging for frees. This game was the norm, not an outlier. You got outplayed for 80% of the game in rd 1 against the Dees, yet still won the free kick count 30-17.

1st qtr. Macrae ploughs his head straight into the stomach of a Swans player and gets a free. Same thing happened GF day.

When are the umpires going to wake up? I wish there was a betting market for frees paid. I'd make a fortune on the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back