Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile, Ben Cunnington is expected to resume running later this week as he makes steady progress in his comeback following the detection of a secondary cancer.

North Melbourne has always considered any Cunnington return to action this year as a bonus after the midfielder underwent a nine-week course chemotherapy in the off-season.

The dual best and fairest winner has taken part in stationary drills and spent time on the indoor bike in recent weeks.

Meanwhile, Ben Cunnington is expected to resume running later this week as he makes steady progress in his comeback following the detection of a secondary cancer.

North Melbourne has always considered any Cunnington return to action this year as a bonus after the midfielder underwent a nine-week course chemotherapy in the off-season.

The dual best and fairest winner has taken part in stationary drills and spent time on the indoor bike in recent weeks.

This is great news.

I hope to see a Majak style welcome for Cunners on his return to the track.

This is great news.

I hope to see a Majak style welcome for Cunners on his return to the track.
Whenever this is, I will be there with bells on and I know most of you will be also. It will be a great day for Ben, his family and our club.

This guy not playing and coordinating our engine room is massive for us.

I reckon it’s the same impact Carlton faced when Judd neared retirement, I don’t have time to do the win/loss stats but I feel it would be very similar.

Cunners will never receive the accolades Judd‘s explosiveness did, but Cunners impact on our team is just as important as Judd’s was to Carlton.

Looking alright

Is there any timeline for him to return? In Feb he was only taking part in stationary drills, so it seems a while off.

Corr on Cunners: "Back at training full time, back in the leadership meetings, even running the handball drills at training today"
Imagine him back and close to fully fit this season. Massive for us and him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a day like today, I really miss this man.

Forget the titles such as captain, he IS the leader of this football club. When we started to turn a corner last year a lot of it was with him leading the way.

We are missing his guidance through a seriously dark period.

His health is the number one priority, but from a purely selfish perspective, I hope he’s well enough soon to don that jumper.

So good to see him looking like himself. He is looking a million bucks compared to during his treatment (obviously). He also hasn’t actually lost that much muscle mass which is equally amazing.

Whether it’s for one last game or another hundred I’m going to appreciate every second this bloke puts on a north jumper.

Cunners is the beating heart of our club and presuming he does return I hope this layoff helps extend his career. Geez we miss him!
Being that his game doesn't revolve around speed at all and he can kick goals when forward, he should be a lock for another couple at least.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back