Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He'll get there in time, we do need to be wary of killing his confidence though if he's going to be getting monstered by guys like Goldstien.

I wouldn't object to putting Hartigan back in and have Denver play 5 or so games at Box Hill to work on things. I think he was injured most of last year played 1 VFL game and was then in the seniors whenever fit.

Get him plenty of games this year but i think he can use a little bit of confidence building at a lower level and also nailing his structuring as i think he is often out of position.

Just keep playing him.

Need the body to fill out too

He is slight but even if he only fills out like Dustin Fletcher, he will be fine.
He doesn't need to be built like a Shannon Hurn to be a great defensive footballer.

Go Go Gadget Man Fletcher was one of the best ever.

I think the best sign from him is that despite being beaten in contests and not having had a possession at half time, he did not change his application to the game. He continued to go as hard as possible. It shows he isn't a confidence player but a super competitor.

And when the ball did come his way in the last Q he loved having the chance to do something with it and executed well. It's a great quality to have his never say die attitude it will take him places.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Mitchell entrusted him to play a lockdown KPD role against a team that was running three talls, where our other KPD was Frost, not Hartigan.

It wasn't even a case of having both Frost and Hartigan there to allow him to play on the third tall, or his natural attacking role. Prior to selection you'd have thought that either of those two options were the most likely.

But instead we had a combo of Frost, DGB and Sicily, with CJ, Hardwick and Morrison rounding out the unit - and they played really well all things considered.

Dewwwww

All Australian
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Best thing to come out of today.

Was Amazing and what we are all about (wins don’t matter at this stage of our development)

if we keep this up and our youngsters develop at the rate at which Denver is then we will be back in the top 4 in no time

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
Today was the first time that I have seen him in the flesh and boy did he go alright! Once he gets a little stronger look out. Someone mentioned it's his ankle that's the concern. He looked like he just had a bad cramp, I haven't seem any match reports so can somebody confirm it's his ankle?

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He really backed himself in after the first quarter, seemed like he found a step and had the speed of the game, once he grows into his natural game his going to be real handful for opposition defences because he looks like he will start burning people on the rebound with another pre season

Today was the first time that I have seen him in the flesh and boy did he go alright! Once he gets a little stronger look out. Someone mentioned it's his ankle that's the concern. He looked like he just had a bad cramp, I haven't seem any match reports so can somebody confirm it's his ankle?

Coverage mentioned he was off getting his ankle strapped up. Hopefully it’s not serious and he’s right for the Saints.

Very promising performance today

Deserves a rising star nom I reckon.

His confidence has grown so much since round 1. Even in the preseason he seemed to be trying too hard, often over committing to a contest instead of watching the ball and playing his natural game. In the just two weeks he's really grown in confidence and is now showing us just how good he is at reading the ball and play. Really excited to see him develop further.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Weiteting won the game for Carlton yesterday , sky's the limit for Denver he has the potential to reach those levels with experience. I said it in his Draft year we got the best player in that draft.

Back