Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 - Premiers; Got the Trophy, cop that AFL House 🖕🏼

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Offensive how?
Why do people get offended so easily, was genuine question.

I've never met anyone into the women's game so it intrigues me.

Offensive because it implies that the only reason someone would be into the women's game is if they have a family connection. Like there is no intrinsic value to it other than maybe supporting a player you have links to outside of the game.

If I was big into chess or snooker or any other pursuit you wouldn't ask if I had family members or friends playing.

You realise the TV broadcast of AFLW gets hundreds of thousands of viewers each week, right? Round one this year had a million TV viewers. Hell, over the six years of competition they've had over a million people attend live at the ground. It's not some obscure thing.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Offensive because it implies that the only reason someone would be into the women's game is if they have a family connection. Like there is no intrinsic value to it other than maybe supporting a player you have links to outside of the game.

If I was big into chess or snooker or any other pursuit you wouldn't ask if I had family members or friends playing.

You realise the TV broadcast of AFLW gets hundreds of thousands of viewers each week, right? Round one this year had a million TV viewers. Hell, over the six years of competition they've had over a million people attend live at the ground. It's not some obscure thing.

Each week?
I find it hard to believe.

But I'll be watching this week.🙂

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Hatchard (20 votes) and Marinoff (18 votes) narrowly miss out on being the AFLW B&F after finishing second and third respectively behind Bates on 21 votes. Sounds about right!
Funny thing. I was watching the count and the votes in round 9 had Hatchard 3 and Marinoff 2. Which meant that Harchard and Bates were tied on 18. I then said to my wife you watch I bet that Bates get 3 and that Hatcjard and Marinoff would switch votes to around. Why I stated that was because I just feel that anything positive about Adelaide goes against the AFL's desire to not put the Crows on a pedestal. Just my paranoia

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

With the new teams coming in I understand that the new clubs will get a chance to get some existing players from other teams. but how does that work. Surely any one team cant be decimated. There must be restrictions plus there would have to be some sort of payment. If we were to lose both Erin and Hatchard thats a massive whole to fill. Do you know what the rules are?

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's paywalled so what's the gist of it?

Phillips is going to play for the West Adelaide Bearcats, along with Hatchard and Simmons.

Also, the Bearcats are apparently now attached to Port Adelaide because they'll be using courts built as part of the $30M redevelopment at Alberton. Phillips claims she was unaware of the connection.

Finally, the early start date of the new AFLW season may limit the amount of games they can actually play (at least for Hatchard - who knows if Phillips or Simmons will be active AFLW players next season?)

Phillips is going to play for the West Adelaide Bearcats, along with Hatchard and Simmons.

Also, the Bearcats are apparently now attached to Port Adelaide because they'll be using courts built as part of the $30M redevelopment at Alberton. Phillips claims she was unaware of the connection.

Finally, the early start date of the new AFLW season may limit the amount of games they can actually play (at least for Hatchard - who knows if Phillips or Simmons will be active AFLW players next season?)
Ah right so they're going off to play basketball and also join Port's AFLW team I'm guessing

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
With the new teams coming in I understand that the new clubs will get a chance to get some existing players from other teams. but how does that work. Surely any one team cant be decimated. There must be restrictions plus there would have to be some sort of payment. If we were to lose both Erin and Hatchard thats a massive whole to fill. Do you know what the rules are?

The article isn't really about them moving to Port's AFLW side.

That said, the rules are pretty open. Port can approach anybody they like (in the entire comp) and if that player wants to move, they can. Little or no compensation goes to the club they leave. The other three expansion clubs can do the same. There will be limits on how many players one club can lose, but it's likely to be something like eight players.

There was a situation in the last expansion round where Mon Conti left the Bulldogs to go to Richmond and somehow it meant that the Bulldogs got Richmond's first draft pick, but I forget why that case was different than the others.

At the end of the day, our only real guard against losing players to Port (and other expansion clubs) is the promise of more success here, and to have a strong culture that players don't want to leave.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ah right so they're going off to play basketball and also join Port's AFLW team I'm guessing

Off to play basketball, certainly.

Whether they're off to Port's AFLW team? I guess we'll see. Phillips I wouldn't begrudge leaving, and I don't really care about Simmons, but Hatchard would be just about at the top of the list of must-keeps for us.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

That said, the rules are pretty open. Port can approach anybody they like (in the entire comp) and if that player wants to move, they can. Little or no compensation goes to the club they leave. The other three expansion clubs can do the same. There will be limits on how many players one club can lose, but it's likely to be something like eight players.

There was a situation in the last expansion round where Mon Conti left the Bulldogs to go to Richmond and somehow it meant that the Bulldogs got Richmond's first draft pick, but I forget why that case was different than the others.

At the end of the day, our only real guard against losing players to Port (and other expansion clubs) is the promise of more success here, and to have a strong culture that players don't want to leave.
You hit the nail on the head. Culture and Success. Just cant imagine losing 8 players. That's almost like decimating one club so an expansion club can come in. Unfortunately given the girls are not paid a reasonable salary money could be a significant consideration as well.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
You hit the nail on the head. Culture and Success. Just cant imagine losing 8 players. That's almost like decimating one club so an expansion club can come in. Unfortunately given the girls are not paid a reasonable salary money could be a significant consideration as well.

At an unemotional level I can see the argument. If there are going to be two teams, realistically it doesn't make sense for one of them to be a basket case. Draft picks plus mature age top ups aren't enough for them to be competitive, they're going to need experienced AFLW players in their squad. So it makes sense that they would get some of our players, and more than just a few of them.

On an emotional level, * 'em. They can have whatever fringe players we don't need in our best 21.

I doubt very much that Port will be competitive for at least a few seasons. The question is whether we will still be after they finish their player raid. If we lose 3 or 4 role players it will suck but we can cover it. 8 players from our best 21 will set us back at least a couple of years but can be managed ala Brisbane.

It's if we lose the likes of Hatchard/Marinoff/Allan/Randall that we simply can't cover it. Those players are pivotal to our success. Put Woodland in that camp after this year as well.

Once a club loses their quota of players as free agency expansion signings, any other player that wants to leave has to do so via a trade.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
You don't want to lose anyone, we're going to lose good players. I think with Erin, she's still got good football ahead of her, especially if the season starts in a few months time?

Maybe a season or two, but if it's one of a limited number of loses we can have, probably better her than somebody 5-10 years younger.

That said still a big loss football wise and also would just be sad to see somene who has won premierships and individual awards with us at the enemy.

So lets assume she leaves, I think a lot of it will depend on how it's done "love the Crows, really enjoyed the challenge of being in a start up team and contributing to the culture... Port is another opportunity to do that, give something else back to football and grow the game" or something, it's a nice departure, we move on and so does she.

I'd just hope that Port and the likes of Chris Davies can resist the opportunity to take shots at the Crows, the marketing opportunity and just that big "she's coming home to a real club" crap they are likely to roll out.

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors

Maybe they exceeded the limit on number of players poached from a team, and therefore had to trade?

With state only drafting, Crows won't receive any compensation for players that leave for Port. Port will probably receive all the picks before the Crows as well.

With state only drafting, Crows won't receive any compensation for players that leave for Port.
Not necessarily the case. The AFL have given Port 2 of the first 8 picks in the draft, in addition to letting them sign some of the best u18s as well as the best overlooked open-age players without having to use the draft.

This might suggest the AFL's primary intention for those 2 priority picks is to not have Port use them at the draft, but rather have them be traded a la the Conti situation.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
At an unemotional level I can see the argument. If there are going to be two teams, realistically it doesn't make sense for one of them to be a basket case. Draft picks plus mature age top ups aren't enough for them to be competitive, they're going to need experienced AFLW players in their squad. So it makes sense that they would get some of our players, and more than just a few of them.

On an emotional level, fu** 'em. They can have whatever fringe players we don't need in our best 21.

I doubt very much that Port will be competitive for at least a few seasons. The question is whether we will still be after they finish their player raid. If we lose 3 or 4 role players it will suck but we can cover it. 8 players from our best 21 will set us back at least a couple of years but can be managed ala Brisbane.

It's if we lose the likes of Hatchard/Marinoff/Allan/Randall that we simply can't cover it. Those players are pivotal to our success. Put Woodland in that camp after this year as well.
Love this. Your first paragraph was very professional, calm and correct. Then your second paragraph was 180 degrees turnaround. I loved it

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors

On an emotional level, fu** 'em. They can have whatever fringe players we don't need in our best 21.

Allan, Biddell, Hatchard, Marinoff, Ponter and Woodland are the core I'm hoping is not raided. Plus Gould, as we need a ruck. Not worried about Randall as she's our captain and had a chance to leave when West Coast came in, so I don't see her leaving for Port. EJ, Charlton and McKinnon are the next three I'd hate to lose because they will be stars in the next few years. They can have Varnhagen.

Last edited:

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hatchard keeps getting linked to Port so wouldn't be surprised if that's the one but if it means anything, in the post game interview she did say "we've made such a good culture here at the crows and I'd hope that will see everyone stick together because we've made such a good thing here and we just want to continue this on."

Hopefully not see it continue on from afar!

Marinoff said in that article posted to the game day thread that she definitely won't be playing at Port Adelaide.

Last edited:
Back