Rumour James Hird to be appointed head coach if GWS struggles this season

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This one seems to have done the rounds for the last few weeks. Contract discussions are currently on hold between Leon Cameron and the Giants. This is Cameron's 9th year in the top job at GWS for anyone that's wondering.

So they have a win-loss record of 1-2 at the moment and their next three weeks of footy include a trip to Perth to play Fremantle, another away trip to the MCG to play the Dees and a Canberra game against St Kilda. It's probably not unreasonable to suggest they could lose two of those games and potentially all three if things go terribly wrong.

Is a 1-5/2-4 start to the season enough to sack Leon Cameron or is it going to take more than that? And if it that start is enough to sack Cameron, does Hird immediately take over as head coach?

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
IMG_6590.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This guy was responsible for overseeing a doping program.

What a joke.

How this is even up for genuine consideration is beyond me.

The fact that it's even possible for him to be 'reintegrated' back into the fold is an indictment on this league.

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
giphy.gif

Apart from the experimental drug program he oversaw at Essendon, did anyone actually think he was a particularly good head coach? Would be the worst signing in GWS' history, and that includes Israel Folau (I'm aware Hird is already at GWS in some relatively minor role).

fer thissen

Debutant
Apr 1, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Malmö FF
it'll probably happen tbh.

Cameron's like Hinkley. bad list or bad coach.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Doesn't bother me either way if he does (don't think he deserves to be blacklisted for life from a senior coaching job in the AFL game), but I believe there are better qualified candidates around if the Giants finally decide to give Cameron the flick.

The outrage and melts here if Hird did get appointed would be pretty epic 😎 👌

Doesn't bother me either way if he does (don't think he deserves to be blacklisted for life from a senior coaching job in the AFL game), but I believe there are better qualified candidates around if the Giants finally decide to give Cameron the flick.

The outrage and melts here if Hird did get appointed would be pretty epic 😎 👌
Soooo epic.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does he have a coaching qualification yet?
Has he gone through the different levels to prove his merit ??

Would think after the EFC debacle employing kids in nappies would not be allowed.

Hey Jimmy, maybe some Auskick team might be able to use your extensive coaching skills?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
This one seems to have done the rounds for the last few weeks. Contract discussions are currently on hold between Leon Cameron and the Giants. This is Cameron's 9th year in the top job at GWS for anyone that's wondering.

So they have a win-loss record of 1-2 at the moment and their next three weeks of footy include a trip to Perth to play Fremantle, another away trip to the MCG to play the Dees and a Canberra game against St Kilda. It's probably not unreasonable to suggest they could lose two of those games and potentially all three if things go terribly wrong.

Is a 1-5/2-4 start to the season enough to sack Leon Cameron or is it going to take more than that? And if it that start is enough to sack Cameron, does Hird immediately take over as head coach?

It only does the rounds amongst nuff nuffs.

giphy.gif

Apart from the experimental drug program he oversaw at Essendon, did anyone actually think he was a particularly good head coach? Would be the worst signing in GWS' history, and that includes Israel Folau (I'm aware Hird is already at GWS in some relatively minor role).

This is what anyone with half a brain would think about it.

Nothing Hird did as coach would indicate it would be worth taking on the baggage he'd bring in the head coach role.

Back