Preview Preliminary Final v Fremantle at Adelaide Oval

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Considine and Tonon out for Allen and Jones
You’d take Tonon everyday of the week over Button on current and future output, but sadly they won’t see it that way and well what can you say about Considine?, she’s escaped the axe so many times, she’ll no doubt find a way to somehow do it again, surprised she didn’t perform at the Fringe as an escape artist.

Only positive for 🇮🇪 is she couldn’t even on purpose play a worst grand final than she did last year 🤢

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
You’d take Tonon everyday of the week over Button on current and future output, but sadly they won’t see it that way and well what can you say about Considine?, she’s escaped the axe so many times, she’ll no doubt find a way to somehow do it again, surprised she didn’t perform at the Fringe as an escape artist.

Only positive for 🇮🇪 is she couldn’t even on purpose play a worst grand final than she did last year 🤢

Thank Christ, Randall is available this time so Considine won't be inexplicably asked to cover her role again.

Every single time I view a video on womens.afl, it begins with that ******* clip of Considine failing to prevent a goal and Starcevich looking on in astonishment. I never even watched the TV coverage of that grand final (I was there live, couldn't stomach a replay) but I've seen that clip a hundred damn times. I don't even know if it is Considine since her number is obscured in the clip but I'm pretty sure it is.

At one point in today's match Considine was playing down in defence and I just about broke out in a cold sweat.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Another classic example of Crows ingenuity was the drafting of Jess Foley. A 35 year old basketball player who had only taken up footy less than 18 months prior, recruited as cover for Jess Allan, ends up becoming our lead (and only) ruck in her debut season. I honestly don't think we would have even made the GF in 2019 without her on the list. We would have most likely turned to Sarah Allan or possibly even Maisie Nankivell to lead our ruck. It would have been a disaster.

A year later Foley was retired. We got her in for a two-year window as the backup to the backup, and turned it into a flag.

The most brilliant action we took was teaming up with the NT. May not have added many to the best 22, but it made it impossible for the AFL to deny our pitch, which was almost certain prior to that. It added a talent pool, shallow that it is, added a football region to the league and ticked the RAP box massively. They couldn't say no after that.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
The most brilliant action we took was teaming up with the NT. May not have added many to the best 22, but it made it impossible for the AFL to deny our pitch, which was almost certain prior to that. It added a talent pool, shallow that it is, added a football region to the league and ticked the RAP box massively. They couldn't say no after that.

To be fair, it actually added quite a bit to our initial side. Stevie-Lee Thompson, Sally Riley, Abbey Holmes, Angela Foley and Heather Anderson all played in our grand final win in 2017, and Sophie Armistead and Tayla Thorn played throughout the season as well.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did Daisy Pearce invent the game or something?

To Daisy's credit, she has flown the flag for the women's game for years, pushing for and driving it. AFLW wouldn't exist without the pioneers of the games, and she was arguably the leader of that movement. She's as responsible as anyone for AFLW existing in the form it does today. She's also a fantastic player and a very marketable figurehead for women's football in general.

None of that entitles her to a premiership, or a fairytale ending to her career. She and her team will have to earn those.

I try not to buy into the whole "VFL conspiracy" angle. I don't think there will be a concerted effort to get Melbourne over the line by the umpires or anyone else. I do think the umpires will be instructed "watch out for that heavily partisan Adelaide Oval crowd, they will try to influence your decisions" and will likely over-correct, like often happens. We'll just have to be good enough to deal with it.

Edit: I do save some ire for the tribunal, though. I don't think they went out of their way to suspend McKinnon, for example, but they would definitely have found a way to avoid suspending a star Melbourne player in the same instance. That bias in the favour of star players, particular star players at Victorian clubs, has been demonstrated over and over again.

Back