Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Don't think he did anything wild

His one smart move I noticed was when Meek was dominated in the start of the first, he put Lobb in the ruck, Lobb evened the contest and we got back into it, Lobb then rucked for a lot more of the second half, Meek starting in the goal square quite a bit. This was a smart tactical change and whoever was responsible for it gets a thumbs up.

The other thing was Pearce going down but I don't think the coach had any say, It happened on my side of the field and I watched as Cox stood up and communicated to each player their new role, Cox took Kennedy, sent Ryan to Darlin and Young to the third tall (Dixon). Wasn't any time for messaging from the coach, was interesting to see Cox lead the charge and set this up, probably shows why we aren't sending him forward.

Cox did then play JK on too long of a leash for the next 10 minutes (rest of quarter) for my liking, Pearce was giving him 3-5 metres, Cox was letting JK explore the pockets 10 metres in front (Cutoff players were near though) I reckon thats risky with JK as he will nail the goal 45 out on the boundary, that's why he is so deadly. Can't comment if this changed in the 4th as they were down the other end.
I thought the extra rotations in the midfield was the best thing they changed from the previous week. Used a lot more runners and possibly why we didn't fall asleep in the third. I guess we will get a better idea this week if it was relevant to our better running performance. Maybe WC just didn't have the energy with the COVID thing

88mph

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought the extra rotations in the midfield was the best thing they changed from the previous week. Used a lot more runners and possibly why we didn't fall asleep in the third. I guess we will get a better idea this week if it was relevant to our better running performance. Maybe WC just didn't have the energy with the COVID thing

100%

We moved magnets under Graham.

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jayme Graham is one of the best assistant coaches we've brought on board in club history I reckon. The forward line and mid/forward connection has improved so much already after just one preseason. Elite forward pressure, nicely weighted kicks to leading forwards instead of just bombing it long, and more goals than behinds (except for round 1). When you take a step back and look at the improvement up forward I'd say it's almost like night and day from previous seasons. He and the other coaches including JL are obviously all on the same page too, have buy in from the playing group, and we now have a balanced defensive/offensive game which is working. We're still a young team - so much room for improvement still, every Freo fan should be so excited for our future.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not game day coaching, but one thing I’ve noticed the last couple of weeks is how much better we’ve been kicking to Lobb.
Despite a crowded forward line, we’ve been able to put the ball up in space for Lobb to run & jump at-to his advantage. Previously we’ve just kicked it in his general direction.
Acres kicked a brilliantly weighted ball & there was one other later.
For me it’s very reminiscent of how WC kick it to Kennedy, allowing him to run & jump & take it at its highest point.
Seems basic & obvious, but we haven’t done it previously or if we have not very well. I think this is what a good forward coach can bring amongst the other stuff.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didn't go so well this week. It was a carbon copy of the Saints game which was a simple long bomb to a supposed hot spot. No movement, leads were rare, and the crumbers were killed. Needs a plan B.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jayme Graham is one of the best assistant coaches we've brought on board in club history I reckon. The forward line and mid/forward connection has improved so much already after just one preseason. Elite forward pressure, nicely weighted kicks to leading forwards instead of just bombing it long, and more goals than behinds (except for round 1). When you take a step back and look at the improvement up forward I'd say it's almost like night and day from previous seasons. He and the other coaches including JL are obviously all on the same page too, have buy in from the playing group, and we now have a balanced defensive/offensive game which is working. We're still a young team - so much room for improvement still, every Freo fan should be so excited for our future.

Do you still hold your view?

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you still hold your view?
Happy to answer, the answer has to be no right now as the regression of our forward line in the last few weeks has been staggering. Still hold my view over Graham who clearly had the forward line functioning well for a number of weeks, but it's fallen apart the last two weeks. Our entire forward line has been out with H&S protocols or injury so that seems to be the most obvious reason for the complete drop off in forward pressure, leading into space, taking the game on etc - seems none of them have come back anywhere near 100% (except Switta, he's still bringing it). Too easy for the opposition to rebound which is putting enormous pressure on defense, I don't think it's a midfield issue as we're winning plenty of the ball - the mids gain possession but there are no clear options when they look to go forward, so we've seen them revert to bombing it long. Hoping with some continuity and match fitness they can get the forward line and mid connection functioning again because it was a great sight to behold, while it lasted. Such a dockery thing to happen this slump in form.

For what's it's worth I wasn't buying into the Flagmantle stuff (not accusing you of saying this), I thought we're a young team and should be aiming for finals but probably not top 4 yet. If we can turn it around a bit and finish 5th to 7th that would be a good outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Happy to answer, the answer has to be no right now as the regression of our forward line in the last few weeks has been staggering. Still hold my view over Graham who clearly had the forward line functioning well for a number of weeks, but it's fallen apart the last two weeks. Our entire forward line has been out with H&S protocols or injury so that seems to be the most obvious reason for the complete drop off in forward pressure, leading into space, taking the game on etc - seems none of them have come back anywhere near 100% (except Switta, he's still bringing it). Too easy for the opposition to rebound which is putting enormous pressure on defense, I don't think it's a midfield issue as we're winning plenty of the ball - the mids gain possession but there are no clear options when they look to go forward, so we've seen them revert to bombing it long. Hoping with some continuity and match fitness they can get the forward line and mid connection functioning again because it was a great sight to behold, while it lasted. Such a dockery thing to happen this slump in form.

For what's it's worth I wasn't buying into the Flagmantle stuff (not accusing you of saying this), I thought we're a young team and should be aiming for finals but probably not top 4 yet. If we can turn it around a bit and finish 5th to 7th that would be a good outcome.

Thanks for the response. A good answer too, although I don't agree with the Covid and injury excuse/reason. I too hope we can get it back on track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back