Kennett the Fashionista

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think handing someone $200 to go buy something more appropriate, is in anyway funny, is in any way not likely to humiliate a young woman from a disadvantaged background...its your perceptions that are aberrant.....but I think we already knew that from your lame obfuscation over the most well understood and accepted social dynamics.
Does anyone know her background?

It is a poor joke and potentially very culturally insensitive. However, I feel very uneasy with the assumption that she is from a disadvantaged background if you don't know for sure.

It is a poor joke and potentially very culturally insensitive. However, I feel very uneasy with the assumption that she is from a disadvantaged background if you don't know for sure.
I normally steer away from “the anti racists are the real racists” but holy moly it’s on display in this thread. Someone earlier was saying the joke is offensive because aboriginals don’t wash their clothes.

The lighter side of the story is that Letter of Apology Jeff wrote, his hand writing looks like it was written by Abraham Lincoln, he probably still uses a feather & a quill.

Perhaps I should've said minority....either way...the implication is ‘you’re not up to our standards’.

The joke is NOT racist. It's a joke about a piece of clothing. Anyone claiming the joke is racist is delusional and is actually part of the problem causing unnecessary cultural divide.

It must be hard for SuperMal to live a life being so pure, how do you get by day to day being perpetually offended?
If you think I’m calling tge joke ‘racist’, either you fell asleep when they were teaching reading....or you have a desperate need for attention.

Try reading MY posts again....not the other clownish responses.

It's only racist if Jeff makes that joke to black people but not white people. According to the article, "Kennett reiterated that his airport comment to Shannyn regarding her jeans was similar to jokes he had made many times previously with many other people."

Culturally insensitive is a more accurate claim.
THANK YOU! 🙏🙏🙏👍

Someone has finally grasped the difference between a directly racist remark and a comment that may offend people because of their circumstances, background or financial situation.

Saying only one race can determine what is and isn’t racist is racist.
I didn't say that, I said white people don't get to tell black people what is racist to black people

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say that, I said white people don't get to tell black people what is racist to black people
ElectricG does.

He also claims that if there's only one point of difference...her colour...then the joke could not possibly offend her.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

He also wants it both ways...that if the possibility of her feeling ‘socially inferior’ is raised..then we’re all thinking the worst of her culture.

All this is highly cynical, spurious and somewhat ‘white supremacist’ behaviour.

Last edited:
Yeah your right...Shannyn wasn’t upset at all.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

How stupid are you? Seriously?
Don’t know if you misinterpreted my point. You seem the think that people of certain backgrounds can’t be expected to converse and behave normally among white people because of traits only they have.
ElectricG does.
I think it’s okay to say “it’s not racist” when a claim of racism is being made.

Don’t know if you misinterpreted my point. You seem the think that people of certain backgrounds can’t be expected to converse and behave normally among white people because of traits only they have.

I think it’s okay to say “it’s not racist” when a claim of racism is being made.

Nice re-interpretation of what you are actually arguing.

Maybe you should stop and have a think....you’ve already dug a huge hole fir yourself casting racist aspersions at me.

Ask yourself this - Why would you deny the possibility of her being offended on the basis of being in a racial minority....even if that is the only reason?

BUT....,then you claim raising other possibilities (asI did) is ‘bigotry‘?

Atm most of us are left with two possible conclusions-

1 - You’re out of your depth in this discussion - this allows for the fact you are at least serious.
2 - You’re a troll who gets off on manipulating discussions on minority issues on forums....the worst form of bigotry.

How would you like the Forum to treat you?

Last edited:
Nice re-interpretation of what you are actually arguing.

Maybe you should stop and have a think....you’ve already dug a huge hole fir yourself casting racist aspersions at me.

Ask yourself this - Why would you deny the possibility of her being offended on the basis of being in a racial minority....even if that is the only reason?

BUT....,then you claim raising other possibilities (asI did) is ‘bigotry‘?

Atm most of us are left with two possible conclusions-

1 - You’re out of your depth in this discussion - this allows for the fact you are at least serious.
2 - You’re a troll who gets off on manipulating discussions on minority issues on forums....the worst form of bigotry.

How would you like the Forum to treat you?
I would deny it because I believe it is dishonest and we’re allowed to say what we think. Also because enforcing structural changes in organisations over extremely flimsy connections of jokes to racism is a sh*tty endeavour.
She wasn’t racially abused. She had a diva meltdown over a vanilla joke about her jeans and then said it was racially motivated when everyone told her to chill. If making such a joke is “culturally insensitive” then jfc that does not bode well for relations.

According to Wilson’s article Burgoyne was part of crisis talks about this. He claims to know nothing of this. Hodge and Lewis say similar- they thought Rioli retired to return home to spend more time with his family. This is indeed what Rioli’s retirement statement explicitly said.

If it were such a huge issue at the time why are senior players at the club at the time so surprised by this now? Unless they’re all lying, which I struggle to believe. Seems possible to me it was something that may have not made much of a ripple at the time but has festered since. Very strange.

According to Wilson’s article Burgoyne was part of crisis talks about this. He claims to know nothing of this. Hodge and Lewis say similar- they thought Rioli retired to return home to spend more time with his family. This is indeed what Rioli’s retirement statement explicitly said.

If it were such a huge issue at the time why are senior players at the club at the time so surprised by this now? Unless they’re all lying, which I struggle to believe. Seems possible to me it was something that may have not made much of a ripple at the time but has festered since. Very strange.
I read the article as Burgoyne being involved in trying to talk Cyril into not retiring

He said in his interview that Cyril didn't really share what was going on in his private life, so I don't think its hard to see how what was in Caro's article could be accurate from Cyril and Sharryn's point of view with Burgoyne thinking the problem was something else

I would deny it because I believe it is dishonest and we’re allowed to say what we think. Also because enforcing structural changes in organisations over extremely flimsy connections of jokes to racism is a sh*tty endeavour.
She wasn’t racially abused. She had a diva meltdown over a vanilla joke about her jeans and then said it was racially motivated when everyone told her to chill. If making such a joke is “culturally insensitive” then jfc that does not bode well for relations.

Ok, try and understand this..

The joke itself could well be seen as a low level attempt at bullying. Sure, in a footy club change room amongst a bunch of self-assured white males, it would probably be laughed off.

BUT...

1- She is female ( POSSIBLE image, social role and gender inferiority connotations - yes, Gay men often experience the same considerations)
2- She is black (Possibly a victim of prejudice, poor or abusive background, low level education,)
3-She is the WIFE of a player - bringing pressures on her to behave, dress and conduct herself in a certain ‘way’

So JK doesn’t ‘read the room’...and the woman feels humiliated for any number of these reasons. Which reasons are unimportant...here’s why.....

SHE, doesn’t see any other WAGS being humiliated/taunted/laughed AT by Jeff, so believes its racially motivated. She believes he would not have done that to Luke Hodges wife.

Its that simple.

As many of us have said - it wasn’t racist behaviour...but it was grossly insensitive and knowing JK, likely to be an act of belittlement.

Now please....don’t go down the path of nit-picking again...just accept she felt humiliated...she’s black....and she’s female. It’s FARKING OBVIOUS!

Last edited:
I read the article as Burgoyne being involved in trying to talk Cyril into not retiring

He said in his interview that Cyril didn't really share what was going on in his private life, so I don't think its hard to see how what was in Caro's article could be accurate from Cyril and Sharryn's point of view with Burgoyne thinking the problem was something else
“In the days that followed the exchange between Shannyn and a man she barely knew, her husband Cyril missed training and a crisis developed with a number of top-level club meetings involving Kennett, football boss Graham Wright, coach Alastair Clarkson, Rioli’s manager Adam Ramanauskas and teammate Shaun Burgoyne among others.”

In the days that followed. What you’re suggesting is an enormous stretch.

Ok, try and understand this..

The joke itself could well be seen as a low level attempt at bullying. Sure, in a footy club change room amongst a bunch of self-assured white males, it would probably be laughed off.

BUT...

1- She is female ( POSSIBLE image, social role and gender inferiority connotations - yes, Gay men often experience the same considerations)
2- She is black (Possibly a victim of prejudice, poor or abusive background, low level education,)
3-She is the WIFE of a player - bringing pressures on her to behave, dress and conduct herself in a certain ‘way’

So JK doesn’t ‘read the room’...and the woman feels humiliated for any number of these reasons. Which reasons are unimportant...here’s why.....

SHE, doesn’t see any other WAGS being humiliated/taunted/laughed AT by Jeff, so believes its racially motivated. She believes he would not have done that to Luke Hodges wife.

Its that simple.

As many of us have said - it wasn’t racist behaviour...but it was grossly insensitive and knowing JK, likely to be an act of belittlement.

Now please....don’t go down the path of nit-picking again...just accept she felt humiliated...she’s black....and she’s female. It’s FARKING OBVIOUS!
She’s a woman, she’s black, she’s an adult, she has a brain. She was singled out for the joke because she was the only one wearing torn jeans. I’m not nit picking, I’m just stating the obvious.

“In the days that followed the exchange between Shannyn and a man she barely knew, her husband Cyril missed training and a crisis developed with a number of top-level club meetings involving Kennett, football boss Graham Wright, coach Alastair Clarkson, Rioli’s manager Adam Ramanauskas and teammate Shaun Burgoyne among others.”

In the days that followed. What you’re suggesting is an enormous stretch.
a number of meetings
the article talks about Burgyone and Kennett's meetings with Cyril as separate events, go re read the full thing instead of that summary of how many people the club used to try and talk Cyril out of retiring

1649375635549.png

a number of meetings
the article talks about Burgyone and Kennett's meetings with Cyril as separate events, go re read the full thing instead of that summary of how many people the club used to try and talk Cyril out of retiring

View attachment 1366366
Nah. The way that was worded was at best sloppy, at worst a deliberate attempt to exaggerate the aftermath of the incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back