Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They really got to leave this game like they lost it 0-1 to get anything out of it otherwise they'll just spin it into that "never say die" cliche.

Even the good has a few negatives from that game.

Good: created a ton of good chances and repeat chances.
Bad: barely converted them and must be more clinical.

Good: fought to the end to steal victory from defeat.
Bad: that should have been a 4-1 win based on the dominance of play and scoring at 94 and 96 is not a repeatable or reliable way to win games.

Good: the goal we conceded was unlucky, you don't really expect it to float into the top corner from there. So I can forgive that.
Bad: should not have taken so long to find the back of the net in reply.

Even the good has a few negatives from that game.

Good: created a ton of good chances and repeat chances.
Bad: barely converted them and must be more clinical.

Good: fought to the end to steal victory from defeat.
Bad: that should have been a 4-1 win based on the dominance of play and scoring at 94 and 96 is not a repeatable or reliable way to win games.

Good: the goal we conceded was unlucky, you don't really expect it to float into the top corner from there. So I can forgive that.
Bad: should not have taken so long to find the back of the net in reply.

We need another striker to act as a foil to Kerr. She's always double-teamed and Foord isn't the answer (always takes one touch too many). Fowler is more an attacking mid (haven't seen her go for a header).

Need someone like a Hederberg or Miedema. No idea who could fill that role.

A bit of a scary moment for Paige Satchell last night, forced out of the game with apparently an irregular heartbeat. Not the most pleasant thing to have to deal with, I would imagine.

Better from the Matildas, but again fairly wasteful in front of goal. With due respect to the Football Ferns, leaving goals on the table is going to haunt the Australians when they play the better teams in the World Cup. The defence is still a major issue for mine. Carpenter is one of the best in the world at getting forward, but she leaves acres of space behind her when she does that, and I don't know that we have the personnel to cover for her when she goes on one of her runs and the ball gets turned over. The Kiwis took the lead against Australia in the first match because they were able to get the ball out to their left winger who had plenty of space ahead of her because Carpenter was caught out of position.

We've seen from the games under Gustavsson that Australia is prone to making errors in dangerous parts of the pitch. If I were coaching a team against Australia, I'd be emphasising the need to press the Australian defenders and midfield, keep someone on Kerr at all times and then just sweat the mistakes out of Australia.

At the end of the day, I'm not entirely sure what the two-match series against the Kiwis was meant to achieve from a footballing sense, although it was good to see Gustavsson finally abandon the concept of playing Van Egmond at no. 6. Gorry was amazing in the first game in that position, and while the Kiwis put some work into her in the second match, it's worth persisting with (because anything is better than watching Van Egmond struggle with the demands of that role). But last night would have been a good match to try some of the players on the fringes of the Matildas' squad, like Cortnee Vine, Courtney Nevin, Alex Chidiac and Clare Wheeler. But I think Gustavsson is still feeling the heat from the performance at the Asian Cup so he went with what he thinks is his best XI.

It didn't get any media coverage at all, but the Young Matildas also played a two match series against the Kiwis. The Young Matildas thrashed the Kiwis in the first match 5-1 but they were held to a 1-1 draw in the second match. The Young Matildas has a number of A-League Women's players, like Naomi Chinama (Melbourne City), Kirsty Fenton (Newcastle Jets), Sheridan Gallagher (Western Sydney Wanderers), Abbey Green (Perth Glory), Sasha Grove (Canberra United), Bryleeh Henry (Western Sydney Wanderers), Shay Holman (Sydney FC), Sarah Hunter (Sydney FC), Emma Ilijoski (Canberra United), Sally James (Melbourne City), Kahli Johnson (Sydney FC), Hannah Jones (Wellington Phoenix), Caitlin Karic (Melbourne City), Aideen Keane (Perth Glory), Chloe Lincoln (Canberra United), Hana Lowry (Perth Glory), Darcey Malone (Melbourne City), Leticia McKenna (Melbourne City), Claudia Mihocic (Perth Glory), Alana Murphy (Melbourne Victory), Emilia Murray (Adelaide United), Jessika Nash (Sydney FC), Jamilla Rankin (Brisbane Roar), Cushla Rue (Wellington Phoenix), Charlize Rule (Sydney FC), Sofia Sakalis (Perth Glory), Hayley Taylor-Young (Canberra United), Miranda Templeman (Adelaide United) and Ella Tonkin (Adelaide United). I know Rankin gets regular games for the Roar, and Chinama plays occasionally for Melbourne City (usually off the bench), but I'm not sure how many games the other Young Matildas play for their A-League Women's teams.

Vine had an injury issue , Nevin covid protocols and isolating . Chidiac got about 30 min and looked ok , Wheeler the same I think .
Our defence is still the issue , along with how wasteful we are in front of goals. I thought early in the match our forwards were getting in each others way on more occasions than not . Watching the team interact with the public after the match was a big highlight as well .

A bit of a scary moment for Paige Satchell last night, forced out of the game with apparently an irregular heartbeat. Not the most pleasant thing to have to deal with, I would imagine.

Better from the Matildas, but again fairly wasteful in front of goal. With due respect to the Football Ferns, leaving goals on the table is going to haunt the Australians when they play the better teams in the World Cup. The defence is still a major issue for mine. Carpenter is one of the best in the world at getting forward, but she leaves acres of space behind her when she does that, and I don't know that we have the personnel to cover for her when she goes on one of her runs and the ball gets turned over. The Kiwis took the lead against Australia in the first match because they were able to get the ball out to their left winger who had plenty of space ahead of her because Carpenter was caught out of position.

We've seen from the games under Gustavsson that Australia is prone to making errors in dangerous parts of the pitch. If I were coaching a team against Australia, I'd be emphasising the need to press the Australian defenders and midfield, keep someone on Kerr at all times and then just sweat the mistakes out of Australia.

At the end of the day, I'm not entirely sure what the two-match series against the Kiwis was meant to achieve from a footballing sense, although it was good to see Gustavsson finally abandon the concept of playing Van Egmond at no. 6. Gorry was amazing in the first game in that position, and while the Kiwis put some work into her in the second match, it's worth persisting with (because anything is better than watching Van Egmond struggle with the demands of that role). But last night would have been a good match to try some of the players on the fringes of the Matildas' squad, like Cortnee Vine, Courtney Nevin, Alex Chidiac and Clare Wheeler. But I think Gustavsson is still feeling the heat from the performance at the Asian Cup so he went with what he thinks is his best XI.

It didn't get any media coverage at all, but the Young Matildas also played a two match series against the Kiwis. The Young Matildas thrashed the Kiwis in the first match 5-1 but they were held to a 1-1 draw in the second match. The Young Matildas has a number of A-League Women's players, like Naomi Chinama (Melbourne City), Kirsty Fenton (Newcastle Jets), Sheridan Gallagher (Western Sydney Wanderers), Abbey Green (Perth Glory), Sasha Grove (Canberra United), Bryleeh Henry (Western Sydney Wanderers), Shay Holman (Sydney FC), Sarah Hunter (Sydney FC), Emma Ilijoski (Canberra United), Sally James (Melbourne City), Kahli Johnson (Sydney FC), Hannah Jones (Wellington Phoenix), Caitlin Karic (Melbourne City), Aideen Keane (Perth Glory), Chloe Lincoln (Canberra United), Hana Lowry (Perth Glory), Darcey Malone (Melbourne City), Leticia McKenna (Melbourne City), Claudia Mihocic (Perth Glory), Alana Murphy (Melbourne Victory), Emilia Murray (Adelaide United), Jessika Nash (Sydney FC), Jamilla Rankin (Brisbane Roar), Cushla Rue (Wellington Phoenix), Charlize Rule (Sydney FC), Sofia Sakalis (Perth Glory), Hayley Taylor-Young (Canberra United), Miranda Templeman (Adelaide United) and Ella Tonkin (Adelaide United). I know Rankin gets regular games for the Roar, and Chinama plays occasionally for Melbourne City (usually off the bench), but I'm not sure how many games the other Young Matildas play for their A-League Women's teams.

Great analysis as always, Dixie.

I think the team and Gustavsson are in a difficult position. We have a home World Cup coming up with a team that is not good enough to win it. Indeed, this is a team a few years past its peak but we can't regenerate because we have the World Cup and the public and media want to see the "never say die" Matildas.

You can start to see what a post-World Cup squad looks like but Gustavsson is probably not the person they want for that, too conservative for a re-building team. There needs to be much more emphasis on technical skills if we're ever to compete against the like of Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Japan, Canada and the US.

Vine had an injury issue , Nevin covid protocols and isolating . Chidiac got about 30 min and looked ok , Wheeler the same I think .
Our defence is still the issue , along with how wasteful we are in front of goals. I thought early in the match our forwards were getting in each others way on more occasions than not . Watching the team interact with the public after the match was a big highlight as well .

Ah, okay. Hadn't realised that Nevin was in isolation.

My observations watching these games on TV .
I get very nervous when we play out from the back .
When Carpenter goes adventuring into attack , it appears no one drops back to cover for her.
We coughed up the ball to the Kiwis far too often out of defence , better teams will cream us.
Despite what he says , I think the coach has basically picked his squad .
Any one know what his formation is ? I think its 4-1-4-1 .
We are too predictable , all of Asia know what we are going to do .
No disrespect to the team , but it will be a miracle if we make the final of the World Cup , let alone win it . We are just too soft in defence .

Any one know what his formation is ? I think its 4-1-4-1 .
We are too predictable , all of Asia know what we are going to do .
No disrespect to the team , but it will be a miracle if we make the final of the World Cup , let alone win it . We are just too soft in defence .

I think it’s 4-3-3.

Should be 5-3-2 with Carpenter and Catley as wing backs. They effectively do that but as you say, the cover doesn’t seem to be there when they do go forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s 4-3-3.

Should be 5-3-2 with Carpenter and Catley as wing backs. They effectively do that but as you say, the cover doesn’t seem to be there when they do go forward.

Interestingly, when Melbourne City had Carpenter and Catley on their books a few seasons ago, I'm pretty sure Rado Vidosic played a 5-3-2. From recollection, the typical team comprised Williams in goal, Catley-Stott-Barnes-Checker-Carpenter in defence, Kinga-Luik-van Egmond in midfield, and Emslie-Simon up front. That team won 11 and drew one during the regular season and conceded four goals through the season.

I think swingdog has the formation right. Gustavsson has toyed with a back five but it didn't seem to really work, so he abandoned it pretty quickly. His preferred formation has four at the back (Catley-Polkinghorne-Kennedy-Carpenter), three in midfield (van Egmond is generally a fixture in midfield but the other two positions are up for grabs) and three up front (Foord or Simon-Kerr-Raso).

Catley scored a good one against West Ham as well. Think its Arnold in goal for WH. Catley signed on at Arsenal for 2 more years.

Last edited:
Kerr & Raso got goals in the Women's FA Cup Final Chelsea vs Man City. Kerr scored the 1st and the winner in extra time. Raso came on as a sub and scored to bring Man City back to 2-2 in the 89th minute. (oh yeah, and that's Kennedy chasing Kerr)

Kerr & Raso got goals in the Women's FA Cup Final Chelsea vs Man City. Kerr scored the 1st and the winner in extra time. Raso came on as a sub and scored to bring Man City back to 2-2 in the 89th minute. (oh yeah, and that's Kennedy chasing Kerr)

Geez where is that first touch from Raso when she's playing for the Matildas?

Just watching the Barcelona Vs Lyon UEFA cup Women's Final and Ellie Carpenter has gone off in the first 10 minutes after trying to tackle. Got some treatment on the sideline but straight after she got back on, she played one ball and still looked concerned about her leg. Then straight after that her knee seemed to buckle under her as she ran forward to receive a pass. Stretcher job.

Just watching the Barcelona Vs Lyon UEFA cup Women's Final and Ellie Carpenter has gone off in the first 10 minutes after trying to tackle. Got some treatment on the sideline but straight after she got back on, she played one ball and still looked concerned about her leg. Then straight after that her knee seemed to buckle under her as she ran forward to receive a pass. Stretcher job.

Yeah, looks bad.

Good game and good result. Perhaps the media can calm down about Barca being unbeatable. Lyon were on a mission and tore them apart in the first 30 minutes.

Hederberg is the best striker in the world.

Confirmed ACL. Terrible news.

:'(:cry:

I wonder what the story with these Matildas friendlies coming up in the next couple of days (Sunday and Wednesday mornings) vs Spain and Portugal. Looking at a few clips they've posted on twitter and haven't even seen Gustavsson coaching the drills.

Squad seems full out outlier players. Regular players like Catley, Kerr, Kennedy, Foord, Fowler, Simon and the injured Carpenter aren't there. Alex Chidiac was named in the squad but replaced due to injury by Kyra Cooney-Cross and Angie Beard was originally in the squad before withdrawing and was replaced by Jamilla Rankin.

The Squad is:
Mackenzie Arnold, Kyra Cooney-Cross, Larissa Crumber, Jacynta Galabadaarachichi, Emily Gielknik, Katrina Gorry, Charlotte Grant, Mackenzie Hawkesby, Winonah Heatley, Princess Ibini-Isei, Rachel Lowe, Matilda McNamara, Teagan Micah, Courtney Nevin, Clare Polkinghorne, Jamilla Rankin, Taylor Ray, Amy Sayer, Remi Siemsen, Emily Van Egmond, Cortnee Vine, Clare Wheeler, Lydia Williams, Tameka Yallop.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back