Mid-season Draft - Wed, 1 June 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Only 7 weeks away to the mid-season draft, and with a likelihood of injured players as part of an aging list, I reckon we'd be planning to have a crack.

I'd like to nominate Richmond VFL gun Mid-Fwd Austin (Aussie) Johnson who has really come on. BOG on the weekend and exactly the sort of all day running depth player we need to rotate through the middle.

Screenshot_20220411-185245_Chrome.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 7 weeks away to the mid-season draft, and with a likelihood of injured players as part of an aging list, I reckon we'd be planning to have a crack.

I'd like to nominate Richmond VFL gun Mid-Fwd Austin (Aussie) Johnson who has really come on. BOG on the weekend and exactly the sort of all day running depth player we need to rotate through the middle.

View attachment 1369403
Definitely the one im keeping an eye on

How’s Mykelti Lefau going at VFL level.
Mates played with him at St Kilda City in the ammo’s and said he’s a jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks pretty good. Still has a fair bit “almost” about him. Does half of a lot of good things but doesn’t finish his work. I think the mid season draft is too early for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for Josh Caddy to retire to free up a spot.

Personally keeping an eye on West Adelaides Big Bodied Mid, Joshua Carmichael, 3rd ever Sanfl game and had 2 goals, 30 disposals, 8 tackles, and 11 clearances, against the reigning premiers in Woodville West Torrens. 23 years old

slotted this against the eagles on the weekend

Personally keeping an eye on West Adelaides Big Bodied Mid, Joshua Carmichael, 3rd ever Sanfl game and had 2 goals, 30 disposals, 8 tackles, and 11 clearances, against the reigning premiers in Woodville West Torrens. 23 years old

slotted this against the eagles on the weekend

Looks like a Dunkley type

Wouldnt mind Caddy retiring and opening up a spot to give the kid a go for the rest of the year at VFl
dont really know much about him

whats his height / weight speed like
183 CM, 80kg, Important to remember this is his first year in the SANFL system so he will put on more weight as the year goes on. Not sure about speed because I don't the subscription to watch Sanfl games. If he keeps playing at the level he did against Woodville West Torrens though he could be worth a shot.

I wouldn't be against the club taking Mykelti Lefau. Being a part timer from overseas as well as covid his development has really suffered. He's got a lot of god given athletic traits that could see him turn into anything and has shown plenty of glimpses. Not to mention the article below that tells how he kicked 25 goals in a single game. This Mykelti is still raw but I reckon as a full timer he could iron out any flaws he has and pick up the nuances of the game. I reckon he's worth the gamble. Either him or Josh Green so him and Tom can share bunkbeds and carpool to training.

/Mykelti's magical day | Pakenham Gazette

Mykelti’s magical day​

06/09/2016

https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/gazette/2016-09-06/mykelti-is-really-kicking-goals/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Mykelti’s+magical+day&url=https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/gazette/2016-09-06/mykelti-is-really-kicking-goals/&via=PakenhamGazette

Mykelti Lefau kicked a staggering 25 of his side's 28 goals in a SFL Under 19s game recently. 158952 Picture: RUSSELL BENNETT
By Russell Bennett
PAKENHAM teenager Mykelti Lefau takes everything in his stride – it’s plain to see with his happy-go-lucky attitude and calm demeanour.
Perhaps it’s for that reason that he hasn’t made a huge deal about just what he accomplished on 27 August for the St Kilda City Under 19s against Carrum Patterson Lakes in their Southern Football League clash at Roy Dore Reserve.
The Saints powered to a huge win – 28.10(178) to 2.2(14), but that’s just the start of the story because Mykelti, who was born and raised in Auckland and is in just his fourth year of footy, kicked 25 of those 28 goals.
There were only five goals for the entire match that didn’t come from Mykelti’s boot, but if that feat wasn’t remarkable enough – he normally plays in the midfield.
He’s got a hulking 6’4” frame that belies his speed and agility and his pure brute strength allows him to split packs and shrug off tackles with ease.
Mykelti, a former Pakenham junior under Warren ‘Cowboy’ Cawcutt, is in his first year with the Saints alongside a group of his mates – Josiah Laakulu, Leon Mateariki, Jeremy Dang, Fabricko and Febrick Addi, and Nathan Dawson – all local boys. Nathan Johns, another local, is their coach.
Mykelti and his mates car pool to games right across the expansive Southern competition, but he then has to find his way to his rugby league games each Saturday afternoon. Yes, he plays Under 19 footy and Under 18 rugby league on the same day.
Mykelti’s performance against Carrum Patterson Lakes is already the stuff of legend – he last week sat comfortably on top of the weekly goal kicking list on the SportsTG community of local footy websites.
But he’ll leave it up to others to make a fuss about it. All he wants to do is keep improving in his footy enough to make scouts stand up and take notice.
It’s safe to say they already have.
Though not usually a stay-at-home forward, Mykelti was stationed inside the forward 50 against Carrum because his coach thought he had a shot at winning the league goal kicking award. How right he was.
His 25-goal haul – plus his three on the weekend against Oakleigh District – takes his season tally to 72 through just 15 games. That includes hauls of 11 goals in late May, and two others of eight. Again, he’s not usually a full-forward.
“The coach told me I needed 14 goals (to win the league goal kicking) – he worked it all out,” the 18-year-old SEDA student said of his game against Carrum.
“I needed 14 to get on top but then I had 10 and it wasn’t even half-time yet.
“In the first quarter I had five and I thought I was on track, and then in the second quarter I destroyed this guy and they had to switch him.
“The other team was cracking up – they were laughing.
“I don’t even think about the game but everyone else reminds me. I don’t make a big deal about it. I got fed pretty well.
“Half of them were from really good delivery but the other half were just really weird. There was one where the ball went to ground and it was around the point post and obviously they were trying to rush it. There were two of them there – one was trying to shepherd me and when the other kid went to rush it behind I slipped around him and grabbed him. He was holding the ball and I picked him and the ball up together and he let it go and I just kicked it. Everyone was laughing – even their own team mates. I felt bad for them.
“I just ripped the ball out of this guy’s hands. That was a really weird goal, that one, but what I hated was that I had to go and get it myself.
“I had to do it 25 times! It was like I was doing fitness tests.”
And the scariest thing – Mykelti is still rapidly improving, being so new to the game. Heaven help anyone trying to stop him in the years to come!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back