Opposition Supporters say the darndest things.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm obviously not neutral...

But simply from memory I was only bemused twice.
They got a deliberate oob free kick that was laughable, but it definitely seems to be a trend, so I can accept that's just how it is.

The other (and I'd say only genuinely bad decision) was Ed Richards getting a holding the ball free kick, that definitely seemed at odds with the rest of the game/s.
There was a very soft free to VDM in front of the goal as well.

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There was a very soft free to VDM in front of the goal as well.
Like a lot of frees in the game it was technically there and paid from the umpire having a front on view of the jumper being held.

I wish they would just eliminate those for incidental contact. If it doesn't affect the contest it should be play on.
This should also apply to a multitude of the ruck infringements they continually pay.

Sharpiesadog

Team Captain
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Derby County
The Swan defender had a fistful of his jumper and was holding so much that you could see half of Vandermeer's torso.
Agree, he was holding his jumper, easy free kick to pay every time. I must admit, on the night we were at the other end of the ground and had no idea what it was for, but it’s clear as day on the telly.

Ha well there you go, that’s the issue watching the game at the ground and being on the wrong side of the infringement. As you were.

They were grabbing each other, but the ump seen something that made it too hard to ignore.

Fondle the bloke a little more gently next time and play on.

They were grabbing each other, but the ump seen something that made it too hard to ignore.

Fondle the bloke a little more gently next time and play on.
I thought the prevailing narrative was that we fondled the umps?

There is a Twitter account called 'has the umpire made a bad decision' which is apparently a former AFL umpire who comments on controversial decisions and occasionally will review a whole game if umpiring seems lopsided.
He did the game against Sydney and outside of a few dissent frees which he said should have been paid against us I think we had about 3 more bad decisions go our way.
To be fair, I believe they're only an AFL Accredited Umpire, I'm not sure whether they've actually officiated at the top level.

Still a pretty good source though.

I thought the prevailing narrative was that we fondled the umps?
Fondle them? No. Pay them off? Yes. And I have the receipts to prove it.

They should still be contenders this year, but they still have a dud coach and dud key defenders.

I’m not calling this post out per se, but the line of thinking behind it.

We made a grand final with that dud coach and dud key defenders. Were we not contenders? Had we recruited Jacob weitering and Darcy Moore and hired Alistair Clarkson, Damien Hardwick or Ron Barrassi but not even made the grand final would that be better in bigfooty’s eyes?

We see it a lot when opposition fans discuss our recruitment of Treloar. “Why did they get a mid? They should get key defenders- that’s why they fail” - ignoring we didn’t make a grand final, we got Treloar and he was an important player for us to get to the grand final then played very well in it.

I know this particular post I quoted was from some dud who has also bumped a thread on this board to make dickhead remarks, but his kindergarten level banality isn’t much worse than your average bigfooty nimrod

Fondle them? No. Pay them off? Yes. And I have the receipts to prove it.

Bigfooty need to update their clock or you are posting from the future! Your post shows the time Today at 8:55 PM and the 7.30 Report is on TV.

If you have this ability Chicago can you please tell me who wins the last in Ballarat trots this week?

(I really need to get a life, but there's not much to do in Covid iso!!)

Lipinski is a lock for best 22 every week. His hands are superb and decision-making is above average. We have come out on top of the Treloar/Lipinski ledger, i believe.

Standard bigfooty bias. Lipinski is a downgrade on Treloar in every respect apart from age and perhaps field kicking consistency (treloar still much more damaging courtesy of his line breaking and goal kicking).

Treloar has also been in the top handful of players in a grand final quality team for two different clubs. Lipinski watched a grand final from the stands while treloar played very well for the same club.

That post quoted was after lipinski had a good round one. He will be a good player but if he ends up as good as Treloar he’s done well with his career

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Standard bigfooty bias. Lipinski is a downgrade on Treloar in every respect apart from age and perhaps field kicking consistency (treloar still much more damaging courtesy of his line breaking and goal kicking).

Treloar has also been in the top handful of players in a grand final quality team for two different clubs. Lipinski watched a grand final from the stands while treloar played very well for the same club.

That post quoted was after lipinski had a good round one. He will be a good player but if he ends up as good as Treloar he’s done well with his career
I am sure we come out on top not only did we get a great player in Treloar but Collingwood are paying some of his salary to play for us

A couple of gems from the whinging about umpires team board.

hawkins is overrated ... never been a patch on the great forwards, a plodder lucky to get good service ... yet his record will suggest otherwise
can't stand him, his attention-seeking coach or his rainbow-@rsed side

Hugely over-rated in my opinion... he can't reliably kick straight, which while others may disagree, imo makes him a pretty poor forward! The commentators love him, because a fair number of them barrack for Geelong, and he looks good on TV.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some perfectly reasonable trade suggestions re: English on the Eagles board
The 11 game rookie draftee from WA and a 3rd was the one that got me laughing the most. Why is it that all supports over value their players and don't value their own correctly its not hard to be realistic

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The 11 game rookie draftee from WA and a 3rd was the one that got me laughing the most. Why is it that all supports over value their players and don't value their own correctly its not hard to be realistic
Yeah the others were a stretch grossly in favour of WCE, but the Edwards one was my favourite too.

While we're at it, lets offer McNeil + 3rd to Brisbane for Zac Bailey

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah the others were a stretch grossly in favour of WCE, but the Edwards one was my favourite too.

While we're at it, lets offer McNeil + 3rd to Brisbane for Zac Bailey
Tell you what freo are short a mid sized forward lets offer Hannan and a future 4th for Darcy

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I actually thought Gaff was the funniest one - because what we absolutely need is a slow midfielder. Don't have many of them on our list.

That said - and not to turn this into the list management thread - but my guess is we're collectively going to overrate English on here as well. He looks to have improved this year and I hope he can keep it up, but every other list manager and fan base knows that in must-win games at the end of last season English was not trusted to play first ruck. Instead we were playing either a ruck/KPD who has gone to Carlton for buttons, or a cooked ruck at the end of his career.

My guess would be WC wouldn't even put their first rounder (likely to be top six) on the table. They would look into splitting it and offer us a late first and future second or something like that. If he doesn't re-sign, it'll be interesting to see what any prospective trade looks like considering it's basically a one-team market.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
I actually thought Gaff was the funniest one - because what we absolutely need is a slow midfielder. Don't have many of them on our list.

That said - and not to turn this into the list management thread - but my guess is we're collectively going to overrate English on here as well. He looks to have improved this year and I hope he can keep it up, but every other list manager and fan base knows that in must-win games at the end of last season English was not trusted to play first ruck. Instead we were playing either a ruck/KPD who has gone to Carlton for buttons, or a cooked ruck at the end of his career.

My guess would be WC wouldn't even put their first rounder (likely to be top six) on the table. They would look into splitting it and offer us a late first and future second or something like that. If he doesn't re-sign, it'll be interesting to see what any prospective trade looks like considering it's basically a one-team market.
I wouldn’t rule out Fremantle

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
... every other list manager and fan base knows that in must-win games at the end of last season English was not trusted to play first ruck. Instead we were playing either a ruck/KPD who has gone to Carlton for buttons, or a cooked ruck at the end of his career.
The more perceptive would also know that Bev downplays the importance of ruckwork and needed a better forward line. Your post is all common sense.

Last edited:
When we have only one player on our list capable of playing #1 ruck we’re entitled to rate him higher than other clubs (with numerous options) would rate him.

As in the financial world, scarcity increases value.

Back