Recommitted Tristan Xerri [re-signed to 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Market value right now is probably similar to what Carlton paid Hawthorn for Marc Pittonet (esp being out of contract)

Better for North if he stays tbh. Blokes like him don't start hitting their strides till they are about 25

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I've got no doubt he stays, Goldy doesn't have long left and I imagine he was spooked by us signing CCJ. Will get opportunity and Noble has talked him up every chance he's had. He's from a North family too so I'd say just wants a year of feeling assured as he just wants to play.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Been impressed with him today against English who's probably the form ruck in the comp

Still only 16 games into his career and looks to be building nicely

I think the Saints will be trying to get him again but it'll be hard to get him out now he's the main man in there

North should let Goldstein go and back a Xerri, CJ combo

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Been impressed with him today against English who's probably the form ruck in the comp

I think the Saints will be trying to get him again but it'll be hard to get him out now he's the main man in there

Can't help but think North got sold a lemon with CCJ

Xerri does show some really good signs and potential though

I cant see why he would go to saints to be second fiddle to marshall. If he wants to be no1 ruck he is more likely to get it at north as goldy is almost retired.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I cant see why he would go to saints to be second fiddle to marshall. If he wants to be no1 ruck he is more likely to get it at north as goldy is almost retired.
I'd imagine we'd be looking for someone to take Ryders role as 1st ruck and continue to play Marshall as a ruck/forward

Seems to be the go to play 2 genuine rucks at the moment

As I said though, no real reason to leave anyway now he's cemented a spot

I'd imagine we'd be looking for someone to take Ryders role as 1st ruck and continue to play Marshall as a ruck/forward

Seems to be the go to play 2 genuine rucks at the moment

As I said though, no real reason to leave anyway now he's cemented a spot

Agree on the last sentence.

On the first bit that only works if either marshall or xerri wants to be a fwd/ruck. If they both want to be the main ruck it wont work.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agree on the last sentence.

On the first bit that only works if either marshall or xerri wants to be a fwd/ruck. If they both want to be the main ruck it wont work.
Marshall has mostly played that role for the last 2 years. He doesn't seem to have an issue with it and our winning percentage with Ryder and him together sits around 70%

They can't all be as good as Tim english

You are right, they can’t.

Tim took a long time to get to the level he is now but always had the talent. Xerri has time too but he’s nowhere near the athlete English is so will need to find something else to take that next step

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
You are right, they can’t.

Tim took a long time to get to the level he is now but always had the talent. Xerri has time too but he’s nowhere near the athlete English is so will need to find something else to take that next step
Xerri is a much better ruckman and hasn’t played a lot of footy. He’s still very much in development mode.

English is great around the ground - basically an extra mid - but is a giant pussy.

If I was gunning for a pure tap ruckman with 100 games under their belt I’d prefer Xerri.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Battler at this point, st kilda probably didn’t need him for the position they are in
You're a harsh critic I reckon

The guy is 16 games into his career and only just given the opportunity to play first ruck.

He seems to be tracking very nicely to me

I thought the battle between he and English was a good one last night. English has played a fair bit more footy than him remember.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Xerri is a much better ruckman and hasn’t played a lot of footy. He’s still very much in development mode.

English is great around the ground - basically an extra mid - but is a giant pussy.

If I was gunning for a pure tap ruckman with 100 games under their belt I’d prefer Xerri.
The majority would take English easily over Xerri, even taking my Bulldogs hat off. Xerri has improved massively from a complete waste to solid ruck, he’ll have a 10+ career easy.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
You're a harsh critic I reckon

The guy is 16 games into his career and only just given the opportunity to play first ruck.

He seems to be tracking very nicely to me

I thought the battle between he and English was a good one last night. English has played a fair bit more footy than him remember.

Yep, big men take time, unless somebody has tried to trade for them. It's why I shake my head at the hand-wringing over Coleman-Jones, a little younger than Xerri and 10 games, at such an early juncture.

Saying that I'd be surprised if either surpasses English who has always had more tools to work with IMO.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, big men take time, unless somebody has tried to trade for them. It's why I shake my head at the hand-wringing over Coleman-Jones, a little younger than Xerri and 10 games, at such an early juncture.

Saying that I'd be surprised if either surpasses English who has always had more tools to work with IMO.
If English' ruck work continues to improve he'll be the full package

Very good around the ground, good mark and kicks goals

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The majority would take English easily over Xerri, even taking my Bulldogs hat off. Xerri has improved massively from a complete waste to solid ruck, he’ll have a 10+ career easy.
Maybe, but if we’re factoring in output from a comparable number of games and current formline I’m taking Xerri.

No idea why football fans write off ruckman or cap their ceilings so early in their career. Xerri was stuck behind an elite ruckman and didn’t have the benefit of being the best in comparison to a bad bunch (English).

Clearly a couple of other clubs were tracking his progress and keen to jump.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe, but if we’re factoring in output from a comparable number of games and current formline I’m taking Xerri.

No idea why football fans write off ruckman or cap their ceilings so early in their career. Xerri was stuck behind an elite ruckman and didn’t have the benefit of being the best in comparison to a bad bunch (English).

English certainly benefitted from being the best of a bad bunch early in his career, but it was always going to take 5+ years before he was going to have a breakout season. Was absurdly skinny in his first year (2017):
Q-and-A_Right_English.png

Whereas this year, still not as big as he could be, is at least at a level where he can hold his own strength wise:
932894.jpg

English's ruckwork was never a strength, as he was a late developer. This is a skill that can be improved through years of development in an AFL system though. His skills are among the top few in the league for a ruckman, which is something Xerri can't replicate. He'll be good no doubt, but I don't see him going beyond a B+ ruckman. English still has a lot of room to grow and has top 10 player in the game potential, IMO.

Haven't seen any of the intensity issues that he had late last year, which I think a lot could have been put down to the concussion he suffered that put him out for over a month. Probably leading our BnF this year.

Each to their own I suppose. I completely understand why neutral supporters have little faith in him.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Current formline English is a top 3 ruck in the league though isn’t he?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Battler at this point, st kilda probably didn’t need him for the position they are in
Xerri is just as good as English at the same age.

18 months is a decent gap for young rucks.

And it’s a shame you didn’t have a battler 7 months ago - English was embarrassing on the big stage.

And it’s a shame you didn’t have a battler 7 months ago - English was embarrassing on the big stage.

Easy to snipe at a grand finalist when your team is winning spoons.

North haven’t made the big stage this millennium and likely won’t anytime soon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back