Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Heard the buzz about them, finally heard a song, and my reaction was "..."

To think at Download a few years ago there were people who chose seeing them over Slayer.

I saw them at Soundwave years ago, really didn't know what to make of them, they dressed like they would be Gorgoroth and sounded like, I don't even know, it's even sort of pop music.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Bands/artists who’ve released best work after first 3 albums:

U2 (though some may argue they never did better than War, I’d disagree)
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Pantera
Simple Minds
Rolling Stones
Beatles
David Bowie
Midnight Oil
INXS
The Church
The Go betweens
Death Cab For Cutie
Destroyer

I’m sure plenty more I can’t think of the top of my head. I think it usually depends if an artist began fully formed then usually peak is in first 3 albums unless major reinventions.
There's no doubt that their fourth full length release 10, 9, 8 ... is a masterpiece, but I think you're underestimating how fckn good the first three records (and Bird Noises EP wedged in there too) actually are. Midnight Oil, Head Injuries and Postcard don't get played much live nowadays, as the Oils tend to favour their more MMM-friendly radio hits at gigs, but us old-schoolers will always prefer those first 3 or 4 releases, and they get much more of a spin at home still than anything after 1983.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The Stones were at their best when Mick Taylor joined the band from 1969-74, Sticky Fingers is peak Stones, one of the all time great rock albums.

From what I've heard Keith resented Mick Taylor for being a better guitarist than him so they got rid of him and replaced him with Ronnie Wood.

They went downhill from there.

We'll never learn the true story. I think it was a few factors. It seems not giving him songwriting credits was a major factor, which seems to just come down to Jagger (it's his one blind spot). There's a few songs in that era that he clearly had a hand in - they never sounded remotely like that before or since which is a pretty big clue. Taylor said himself having a young family at the time he was tired of all the hangers on and dodgy characters around, plus he himself got addicted to heroin. Either way, they've never ever ever recovered from him leaving. I also think Jagger did a very good job of hiding the flaws once Taylor left for a while (most of Black and Blue, all of Tattoo You for instance), but eventually it's become obvious without the creative spark to bounce off Jagger (in order, Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, plus Billy Preston and Nicky Hopkins as well), they were not the same.

Last edited:
Mine is AC/DC after Bon Scott's death.

I don't get the appeal of Brian Johnson and can't listen to him.

killtaker1993

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah they are s**t, bore me to tears (well not quite but they are crap)

I can't tell if they are good are what they do, or whether I just don't like what they do. The song I listened to 'Paradise' was just terrible, sounded like something I imagine would get a run on 'The Voice'

killtaker1993

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah they are s**t, bore me to tears (well not quite but they are crap)

I also listened to that 'Dance like a Monkey' song by this 'Tones and I' artist last night (why, I don't know). It was a live version at some big festival, and I saw grown adults rocking out like they were watching The Who at the 1970 Isle of Wight.

Now I am an old man at this stage (a 'boomer') at 53, but what am I missing here? Is novelty Top 40 kids music the new 'arena rock'?

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's impossible to not have heard those artists unless you've lived in a cave isolated from the rest of the species & all forms of media for 20 years.

killtaker1993

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah you have. You just didn't know it was them/are trying a bit too hard to seem cool by saying you haven't.

And really, hating on Coldplay became pretty lame about 10 years ago, so...
That's true, every time I walk into an OTR or some store there is always some crap Top 40 commercial music blasting so some of it was probably Taylor Swift or whoever. Is it 'cool' not to listen to these artists? I think I'm a bit old for that.

Coldplay are the one of the worst bands I have ever heard, I don't care if they have been around 50 years

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Coldplay are the one of the worst bands I have ever heard, I don't care if they have been around 50 years
I think it's become a bit of the Ty Vickery syndrome for Coldplay. Somehow he's become the embodiment of mediocrity because of a number of factors not necessarily related to his ability to win and use the footy, yet in reality there's been many way worse footballers. Hanging s**t on him then became contagious, despite playing a handful of decent games each season across the early half dozen or so years of his career.

To be fair, like Ty Vickery's footy career, the second half of Coldplay's recording career became a massive disappointment with very few redeeming features. But there was some really good moments during the early stages of their work.

killtaker1993

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it's become a bit of the Ty Vickery syndrome for Coldplay. Somehow he's become the embodiment of mediocrity because of a number of factors not necessarily related to his ability to win and use the footy, yet in reality there's been many way worse footballers. Hanging s**t on him then became contagious, despite playing a handful of decent games each season across the early half dozen or so years of his career.

To be fair, like Ty Vickery's footy career, the second half of Coldplay's recording career became a massive disappointment with very few redeeming features. But there was some really good moments during the early stages of their work.

I need to amend my initial statement - I think that band 'Death Cab for Cutie' are worse than Coldplay. They make Coldplay sound like The Stooges

Lyttelton Ranger

Squadron Leader
Mar 10, 2008
The Lord's Pyjamas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR
They remind me of this band called 'Death Cab for Cutie' that I went to see with my wife (a fan) years ago, quite possibly the worst band I have ever heard.
Really? I'm not a fan but I googled them and listened to a couple of YT videos of theirs. It's okay emo sounding music - not great but pleasant enough.
Listen to local bands aired on 3D FM in Adelaide and you'll know the true definition of bad music

Back