Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

12 months older after a year off, the chances of him playing at that level aren’t high and he takes someone else’s position who has had 12 months in the role. Retiring is the best thing for the club.
Absolutely it is.

Pedlars chance IMO.

Oh.

Id expect we would pay him out a fair chunk, then they could bring him on as a development coach for the balance. Plus you’d hope we would have structured his contract so next year is his lowest of his deal.

Saves him having to commit to training to play mostly SANFL you’d think, plus frees him up for a media role somewhere to earn additional income.

Sloane screwed us for every penny, every additional year he could.

Which is his absolute right, but he ain’t giving us any discount on his last contract.

I posted this about 1 year ago. A list of his conditions/injuries since 2017:
  • appendicitis
  • Lisfranc injury
  • ankle sprain
  • hamstring strain
  • concussion
  • finger injury
  • adductor strain
  • detached retina requiring surgery
And now a torn ACL.

He’s had really rotten luck with these past 5 years. No doubt his relative decline is partly from all these injuries not allowing him to have a good run of consecutive matches.

If he does end up retiring next year, I hope we remember him for being a classy warrior and a fine onfield leader. The footy Gods have not been kind to Rory, unfortunately.

I vividly recall Round 1, 2020.

The full implications of the pandemic had just become apparent & we were in lockdown.

It was a really bad, gloomy time.

But Rory Sloane declaring “it’s a beautiful day for footy!” as he led the Crows onto the park for Round 1 just made everything seem so much brighter (even for me, as a Swans fan!).

Apologies for the intrusion - but I was really saddened to hear of the ACL. Really hope we get to see Rory on the park again. Because it’ll be a beautiful day for footy!

I posted this about 1 year ago. A list of his conditions/injuries since 2017:
  • appendicitis
  • Lisfranc injury
  • ankle sprain
  • hamstring strain
  • concussion
  • finger injury
  • adductor strain
  • detached retina requiring surgery
And now a torn ACL.

He’s had really rotten luck with these past 5 years. No doubt his relative decline is partly from all these injuries not allowing him to have a good run of consecutive matches.

If he does end up retiring next year, I hope we remember him for being a classy warrior and a fine onfield leader. The footy Gods have not been kind to Rory, unfortunately.
Ergh, that reads like a list of Inside Midfielders possible side effects.

And Rory got the lot. No wonder he looked like he was running around in slow mo this year

Ergh, that reads like a list of Inside Midfielders possible side effects.

And Rory got the lot. No wonder he looked like he was running around in slow mo this year
If there’s a body part that can be injured, Sloane’s likely injured it. Bearing in mind the list I mentioned was only just in the past 5 years!

The passion he’s got for footy is second to none, as evidence of his willingness to battle through injuries and still able to become a club leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really sad to for sloane... he was actually starting to play a decent game too... his body must be all but screwed now ... he's always been the type to throw his body into the contest .... I would imagine he would work to get back to fitness next year which should be his last? How much contract he got left?

Sloane says he'll play on. Taking inspiration from his sister who came back from an ACL. Will attack his rehab hard

his brother probably reminded him about playing every game possible as well. Seriously though, the '12 month' thing isn't hard and fast. Smithers came back to AFL in 11 months and 3 days. First SANFL tune up 2 weeks earlier. Rory is older and more beat up, but that doesn't mean the structure of his knee is any worse.

Really sad to for sloane... he was actually starting to play a decent game too... his body must be all but screwed now ... he's always been the type to throw his body into the contest .... I would imagine he would work to get back to fitness next year which should be his last? How much contract he got left?
End of 2023

Do you expect him to play on in 2024? If not, having him come back for the second half of 2023 to take up a forward spot we hope someone’s developed into, isn’t going to help our rebuild at all

i'd like him to get a farewell game at least. I'm in 2 minds. If he comes back fresh from a year of total body rehab and he's fit and firing and there is a spot at half forward, then I think I'm ok with that. But he has to perform and there needs to be a genuine spot available. I think he does play in 2024, whether it's a SANFL/development role or the year off has rejuvenated him, I'm not sure. But I think both him and Tex go again. Tex will need managing as he did last year, but I reckon e gets another.

Sloane screwed us for every penny, every additional year he could.

Which is his absolute right, but he ain’t giving us any discount on his last contract.

He did go the extra yard though, no flat bat, "I just leave that to my manager and the club" from him. He went with the, "the AFL really needs to consider a loyalty bonus scheme outside the cap". No pressure on AFC though, I'm sure he wasn't intending to imply that he had big offers from non-contending clubs with cap space that he was having a lot of trouble saying no to.

Do you expect him to play on in 2024? If not, having him come back for the second half of 2023 to take up a forward spot we hope someone’s developed into, isn’t going to help our rebuild at all
The club's not going to say to him that his career is over just after he has done his knee. In time I'm sure they will tell him that he won't be be contracted past 2023 and he will work out that the club isn't going to play him for 10 games at the expense of playing a better player who is part of the future plans. He was barely keeping his spot this year so I'm expecting they will give him a retirement game if he wants one sometime next year.

Back