Our Current Back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
It was with great dismay on Friday when myself & fellow BF posters Onip, Clokey, Mr Inappropriate & Zondor looked at our back 6 and realised that it was basically made up of other club discards:

Hall, Atu, Walker, Corr & Young....... McKay being the only home grown talent and the only serious key defender on our list!!!

Hall I will give a tick to even though he is poor one-on-one defensively, but I can cop that because of the run & carry he provides from defence.

But ****, I would LOVE to ask Luff & Rawlings if they seriously thought the other 4 guys would be able to do the job for us this year?

The fact we didn't bother to bring in a key defender for losing Tarrant is frightening.

Like all of us, I so hope we are on the right path to a brighter future, but gee, if the men in charge of this rebuild thought we were better off delisting our young defenders in favour of the above 4, then I'm not so sure.....

Plus throw in the CCJ for a 2nd round pick (which will obviously be pick 19-22) trade, when we could've walked him through the pre-season draft, I have to admit, I'm very, very concerned.

Like to see something like this
HB: Thomas Walker McDonald
FB: Scott McKay ?
Higher quality footballers than we’re currently playing down there

I dont understand why he has insisted on moving both turner and mcdonald around when they clearly play their best footy down back. Mcdonald won a bnf down back and started the season well there vs hawthorn and was nearly bog, as for turner he finally found a new lease on his career playing their last year and shut down some very good small forwards. Why change it especially to accomodate footballers that shouldnt even be there in scott and atu. We brought in goater bergman and archer in the draft yet are playing makeshift defenders. it doesnt make sense. Atu was brought in as an exciting small forward prospect that we needed yet they then decide to play him back. ridiculous decision making

It was with great dismay on Friday when myself & fellow BF posters Onip, Clokey, Mr Inappropriate & Zondor looked at our back 6 and realised that it was basically made up of other club discards:

Hall, Atu, Walker, Corr & Young....... McKay being the only home grown talent and the only serious key defender on our list!!!

Hall I will give a tick to even though he is poor one-on-one defensively, but I can cop that because of the run & carry he provides from defence.

But ****, I would LOVE to ask Luff & Rawlings if they seriously thought the other 4 guys would be able to do the job for us this year?

The fact we didn't bother to bring in a key defender for losing Tarrant is frightening.

Like all of us, I so hope we are on the right path to a brighter future, but gee, if the men in charge of this rebuild thought we were better off delisting our young defenders in favour of the above 4, then I'm not so sure.....

Plus throw in the CCJ for a 2nd round pick (which will obviously be pick 19-22) trade, when we could've walked him through the pre-season draft, I have to admit, I'm very, very concerned.

Absolutely spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tarrant missing is massive. Large gaping hole :stern look

Need McDonald down there to apply some pressure, bloke needs to show more care with his disposal but he also offers leadership for back 6.

Get turner in there and get him to be a pain in the neck to any opposing forward. Niggle, rustle a few feathers get their minds off the game. We've been soft down back and need a bit of edge about us.

Corr has been a great pick up. Fast, aggressive, good kick, decent one on one, can play on smalls and talls. Hall has been excellent down there as well. The jury is out on both Atu and Young but they are both young players. We gave up very little for all these players. Of far greater concern had been our recent drafting of defenders which had been diabolical, McKay aside. Daniel Neilson, Ed VW, Sam Durdin and Declan Watson all busts. Hall and Corr are streets ahead of that quartet.

Look at Fremantle. That’s a side that we are going to be coming up against when we eventually do rise up the ladder. They’ve invested first round picks like Young, Chapman (whilst also investing heavily in the midfield), but have also implemented a defence first system.

It is now starting to click & they are very difficult to score against.

We are the complete f*n opposite & should be concerned about what I think is a reckless approach to our back 6 & defensive system. It needs to stop this year. We need our future backline to have 5 years playing together before we are going to trouble anyone - I’d say we only have 1 lock (McKay) of that back 6 on our list.

Tarrant missing is massive. Large gaping hole :stern look

Need McDonald down there to apply some pressure, bloke needs to show more care with his disposal but he also offers leadership for back 6.

Get turner in there and get him to be a pain in the neck to any opposing forward. Niggle, rustle a few feathers get their minds off the game. We've been soft down back and need a bit of edge about us.
I love Taz as much as any other NM supporter but he’s getting pants this year, just can’t go with the mobile forwards.

Hate to say it but his goose could be cooked, if he was playing for us he would look 10 times as worse and our supporters would be cursing that we didn’t let him go..

B: Turner (small stopper) McKay (Full back) Perez (Rebounding stopper)

HB: McDonald (intercept medium defender) Corr (rebounding CHB) Thomas (line-breaking defensive outlet)

Hope like hell we recruit/trade for a CHF in the mid and end of year drafts.

Last edited:
B: Turner (small stopper) McKay (Full back) Scott (small stopper/mid tagger)

HB: McDonald (intercept medium defender) Corr (rebounding CHB) Thomas (line-breaking defensive outlet)

Hope like hell we recruit/trade for a CHF in the mid and end of year drafts.
That would be the worst premiership back 6 in history…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luffy told us the Matt McGuinness GREW so we have no need for another KPD
Is that the same Luffs who worked for Champions Datas and suggested that North had 3 of the top 5 wingers in the competition? Those wingers being Dumont, Polec and Tyson. Hmm. Didn’t they also rate Mason Cox as being “Elite” in the position he played in. Not sold on Luffys and his Champions Datas line of thinking. :stern look

Having said all that we can only hope like * McGuinness can play CHB because by Satan we need one. :stern look

That would be the worst premiership back 6 in history…
No way in hell that back 6 is making a premiership. But until we actually get the right cattle, at least it might be able to compete.

Turner is actually a very good shut down defender. McDonald can be elite. McKay could be AA with the right support. Thomas could make Hall’s role his own and provide much more coverage in the air. We need to play Bailey all year to either know he can play or cross him out. I expect as soon as Bergman and Goater are fit enough, they will be injected in the side and Scott will be a small utility off the bench.

We desperately need a intercepting CHB to release Corr to the third tall. This will have flow on as McDonald can then shift to playing smaller and begin attacking and breaking lines.

The backline and forward line are at the mercy of some questionable list management calls over the last 36 months. This is a pragmatic response to that.

I love Taz as much as any other NM supporter but he’s getting pants this year, just can’t go with the mobile forwards.

Hate to say it but his goose could be cooked, if he was playing for us he would look 10 times as worse and our supporters would be cursing that we didn’t let him go..
Whilst I agree partially with what you're saying, and it's all hypotheticals because Tarrant is no longer at North so it's all irrelevant really. But if Tarrant were to take the key forward, it frees up Corr to find a better match. It almost feels like most of our backs are under-sized on matchups. It's going to take time, but I'm of the opinion we don't have the cattle and there's plenty of development to come.

Our defenders heights and weights for reference:
Corr - 195 cm - 97 kg
Bailey Scott - 186 cm - 77 kg
McDonald - 189 cm - 86 kg
Atu - 180 cm - 83 kg
Bonar - 188 cm - 87 kg
Young - 189 cm - 81 kg
Josh Walker - 197 cm - 98 kg
McKay - 201 cm - 99 kg

Pat Walker - 187 cm - 76 kg
Archer - 185 cm - 75kg
Kyron Hayden - 186 cm - 87 kg
McGuinness - 192 cm - 77 kg
Hall - 185 cm - 85 kg

No way in hell that back 6 is making a premiership. But until we actually get the right cattle, at least it might be able to compete.

Turner is actually a very good shut down defender. McDonald can be elite. McKay could be AA with the right support. Thomas could make Hall’s role his own and provide much more coverage in the air. We need to play Bailey all year to either know he can play or cross him out. I expect as soon as Bergman and Goater are fit enough, they will be injected in the side and Scott will be a small utility off the bench.

We desperately need a intercepting CHB to release Corr to the third tall. This will have flow on as McDonald can then shift to playing smaller and begin attacking and breaking lines.

The backline and forward line are at the mercy of some questionable list management calls over the last 36 months. This is a pragmatic response to that.
Yeah my concern is really the fact that, once our midfield begins to hit its peak, our back 6 age profile will be a complete mess.

This list management group has had 3 draft & trade periods (this will be the 4th), yet the only “kids” we have playing in our back 6 are McKay, Bosenavulagi & Young, whilst they try and convert Perez (one of our best prospects) into a wingman.

There needs to be a draft & trade led transformation to our back 6.

Luffy told us the Matt McGuinness GREW so we have no need for another KPD
Realistically tho ... what KPDs?

One in the draft who didn't want to leave WA for family reasons and basically a bunch of spuds.

Surprised Mahony didn't get a mention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back