Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect Cryptor is confusing Newcombe and Bramble. Bramble is the mature-ager, not Newcombe
Nope, not confusing him with anyone. As I said technically Newcombe is considered a mature age recruit given he was recruited from the VFL as an adult. I'd still categorise him as being part of the "kid" group though. A group I'd also consider Bramble a member of despite being 24 (Happy birthday Lach!).

It's nearly the opposite now. They all bloody love the hawks!

Mitchell has been so accessible and friendly to all broadcasters and I've no doubt that has helped.

But it's a young team, playing exciting, attacking footy with a bright future. That's the biggest thing that has driven the change in how the hawks are perceived imo.

They are a sexy club to write about again

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please fix the title, he is the round 5 nominee, he hasn't actually won anything.
I for the life of me can not understand why people get so caught up on the wording of this every week...

He is the rising star for round 5, the title is fine.

This is gold. Love when the AFL has to change things because of us.
The worst thing is that this then allows clubs to pick someone mid season, have a half season contract where they move the player interstate and that player possibly gets delisted at the end of his 6 month contract.

That is absolutely not fair on a player if they have to ditch their life for only a guaranteed 6 months contract. If they do introduce something like this then the contracts should have to at least be 1 and a half years minimum.

What an acquisition love watching him play , for those of you not familiar with Gippsland he did not play for Gippsland Power they never picked him for the squad ,I see they are attempting to claim responsibility for his development but they had nothing to do with it , the first few players in the squad pick themselves but the rest is based on politics and what club you are from unfortunately he was on the wrong side of that and no me or none of my lads have been involved or tried out but I’ve coached junior footy over the years in the area and I’m a regular at their games and it’s just an observation that too many good kids are overlooked like Jai was because they didn’t have the right connections.
Back to Jai , his recruitment last year was Mitchell’s first stroke of genius absolute unexpected bonus that fell into our lap .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back